Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Dr H video on nuclear energy fusion confusion

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dr H video on nuclear energy fusion confusion

Post by turboscrew »

I'm not sure what to think of this.
I mean, this sort of "advertising" is quite common, but if that's what goes on in the "official circles" as well...
I guess, telling the whole truth might shut down many projects. But maybe prematurely.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Now announcing breakeven achieved in... inertial confinement fusion:
https://www.sciencealert.com/for-the-fi ... y-the-fuel
Note the subtleness (to some lay people) of the language used:
"This result is a historic step forward for inertial confinement fusion research, opening a fundamentally new regime for exploration and the advancement of our critical national security missions." (underlining is mine). That refers to simulating the environment of a nuclear explosion in the absence of opportunities to perform underground nuclear bomb tests. And:
"...furthering our understanding of the processes of fusion ignition and burn, which is critical for validating and enhancing our simulation tools in support of the stockpile stewardship." (underlining is mine). Again, we are referring to preserving nuclear weapons technology, not to nuclear fusion for energy purposes. But, of course, that doesn't mean one can't take advantage of the physics to learn something about controlled nuclear fusion, if the opportunity happens to arise. So, onward then!
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

AntennaGuy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:11 am Now announcing breakeven achieved in... inertial confinement fusion:
"This result is a historic step forward for inertial confinement fusion research, opening a fundamentally new regime for exploration and the advancement of our critical national security missions." (underlining is mine). That refers to simulating the environment of a nuclear explosion in the absence of opportunities to perform underground nuclear bomb tests. And:
"...furthering our understanding of the processes of fusion ignition and burn, which is critical for validating and enhancing our simulation tools in support of the stockpile stewardship." (underlining is mine). Again, we are referring to preserving nuclear weapons technology, not to nuclear fusion for energy purposes. But, of course, that doesn't mean one can't take advantage of the physics to learn something about controlled nuclear fusion, if the opportunity happens to arise. So, onward then!
Agreed. I'm skeptical of inertial confinement for continuous energy generation. Managing the nuclear weapons stockpile is a much more credible application. The codes for thermonuclear bomb design (and supernova simulation) can be tested against inertial confinement event data.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

AntennaGuy wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:11 am Now announcing breakeven achieved in... inertial confinement fusion:
This link says 422MJ goes in for the 1.3 MJ that comes out, and that only for a few picoseconds, https://preparehub.org/fusion-ignition- ... -research/ . It can be fired a few 100 times per year.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

SkyHiker wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 am ...
This link says 422MJ goes in for the 1.3 MJ that comes out, and that only for a few picoseconds, https://preparehub.org/fusion-ignition- ... -research/ . It can be fired a few 100 times per year.
Ah, of course. They talked about energy absorbed by the fuel, not input to the laser systems, etc. So it's not really anywhere near break-even, despite its transient/one-shot nature. Sigh... Neil Sedaka not withstanding, fission (i.e., "breaking up") is easier; fusion is "hard to do."
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”