The Universe can be geometrically flat, but topologically finite and closed!

Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Universe can be geometrically flat, but topologically finite and closed!

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I made an error in responding in this thread which I hope to correct with this post.

The folks in the OP constructed a straw man argument that the universe "could be topologically finite and closed". The only way this stands up by introducing new cosmological parameters to deal with the curvatures of the toroidal topologies (i.e. doughnuts) they propose. One can then avoid falsification by increasing the radii of curvature arbitrarily. That was my objection, the avoidance of falsifiability.

Now the "straw man" here is that they only consider the consensus model, i.e. the parameters found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda-CD ... Parameters

They do not consider the errors inherent in the parameter set. When one considers the extended parameter set which allows one to look more closely at trends one finds an interesting value for Omega _tot = 0.9993±0.0019.

The significance of this is that a universe can only be topologically finite and closed if Omega _tot > 1.0000.

So the straw man is that Omega _tot = 1.0000 exactly. Anything less than 1.0000 says that the universe is open and infinite with positive total energy. Only Omega _tot =1.0 exactly corresponds to finite infinite and flat. The data error analysis is slightly in favor of an open topology already so already there is only a 1 in 3 chance of a closed topology.

I expect that as more data is accumulated that the errors will shrink. With the data already biased in favor of an open universe this closed universe can still hide behind the errors.

If one is annoyed by phrases such as the use of "is" in "the universe is open and flat" one could choose to continue to suffer from that, or one could simply read for "is" the "X is Y within the error limits of currently available observations". Scientists use "X is Y" as a shorthand for "X is Y within the error limits of currently available observations" which is a much more cumbersome phrase.

So I apologize for missing the point that this idea already has only a 1 in 3 chance.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Universe can be geometrically flat, but topologically finite and closed!

Post by turboscrew »

I wonder if there's anything that could be measured with absolute precision and accuracy. In theory, you can calculate that way, but to test the calculations against reality, that'll always happen "within the error limits of currently available observations". And then the "within the error limits of currently available observations" is redundant.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:40 am I wonder if there's anything that could be measured with absolute precision and accuracy. In theory, you can calculate that way, but to test the calculations against reality, that'll always happen "within the error limits of currently available observations". And then the "within the error limits of currently available observations" is redundant.
Indeed no such thing is possible. The flat infinite universe can only be shown to be false, it can never be shown to be true. There’s an esthetic reason for preferring it as long as it’s within the error bounds: it costs exactly zero energy (density) to make such a universe. The slightly favored open infinite curved version requires an external source of energy.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5