Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

CERN: Leptoquarks, the Higgs boson and the muon’s magnetism

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Re: CERN: Leptoquarks, the Higgs boson and the muon’s magnetism

Post by GCoyote »

Would this be another minor addition to the Standard Model or open the door to something significant?
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:45 pm
Would this be another minor addition to the Standard Model or open the door to something significant?
Interesting question. It caused me to think about calibrating SM extensions.

When I think of minor additions to the Standard Model I think of the dark matter candidates like axions, WIMPs, WIMPzillas, sterile neutrinos, etc.

For a major extension of the SM, I can think of only one item: a quantum gravity.

Leptoquarks are less than major but more than minor since they are such odd things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptoquark
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Interesting, thanks!
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

"Leptoquarks are color-triplet bosons that carry both lepton and baryon numbers."
Weird things, indeed.
Kind of brought the light wave/particle duality in mind. But colour-triplet?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Yeah, it is definitely messy. Did you see this a few weeks ago?

https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-new-ma ... -20201022/
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GCoyote wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:27 pm Yeah, it is definitely messy. Did you see this a few weeks ago?

"Strangely, there are no right-handed W bosons in nature." :shock:
Had to bookmark the page.

I never really got a grip of weak interaction. The other interactions form "force fields". I think weak does not?
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:39 pm "Leptoquarks are color-triplet bosons that carry both lepton and baryon numbers."
Weird things, indeed.
Quarks are color triplets (3 colors) with baryon and without lepton number.
Leptons are color singlets (0 colors, but technically a color singlet state) without baryon and with lepton number.
Leptoquarks are color triplets with both baryon and lepton number.

Does that help, I hope?
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:59 pm
GCoyote wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:27 pm Yeah, it is definitely messy. Did you see this a few weeks ago?

I never really got a grip of weak interaction. The other interactions form "force fields". I think weak does not?
Weak does form force fields but the range over which the force is appreciable is quite short. Because the W and Z bosons which carry the force are so massive the range is very short. Here's a link to the Yukawa potential which details how this works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukawa_potential
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

That article slipped past me. Thanks!
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:40 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:39 pm "Leptoquarks are color-triplet bosons that carry both lepton and baryon numbers."
Weird things, indeed.
Quarks are color triplets (3 colors) with baryon and without lepton number.
Leptons are color singlets (0 colors, but technically a color singlet state) without baryon and with lepton number.
Leptoquarks are color triplets with both baryon and lepton number.

Does that help, I hope?
Ah, the "triplet" means that. I thought it meant that one leptoquark could have three colours, but it can have one of the three possible colours.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:46 pm

Weak does form force fields but the range over which the force is appreciable is quite short. Because the W and Z bosons which carry the force are so massive the range is very short. Here's a link to the Yukawa potential which details how this works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukawa_potential
It looks like Yukawa-potential is more like an abstract construct that fits, at least, to electromagnetic interaction and weak interaction, but I still have no clue, what's the "charge" in weak interaction. I've searched that around the internet before, but I haven't seen much else but that weak interaction "affects some decays". I guess the "charge" with Yukawa-potential might, together, bring _some_ light to this?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:17 pm

It looks like Yukawa-potential is more like an abstract construct that fits, at least, to electromagnetic interaction and weak interaction, but I still have no clue, what's the "charge" in weak interaction. I've searched that around the internet before, but I haven't seen much else but that weak interaction "affects some decays". I guess the "charge" with Yukawa-potential might, together, bring _some_ light to this?
Ah, but the the weak interaction DOES involve weak charge that is analogous to electrical charge. Here's how it's calculated in the Standard Model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_charge

The vector bosons that "carry" the force are often uncharged, the photon in the EM interaction, the gluon in the strong interaction. The weak interaction has two vector bosons, the W and Z. The Z is electrically uncharged and the W is electrically charged. So the former is responsible for "neutral current" weak interactions and the W does "charged current" weak interactions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charged_current
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_current
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:54 pm

Ah, but the the weak interaction DOES involve weak charge that is analogous to electrical charge. Here's how it's calculated in the Standard Model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_charge

The vector bosons that "carry" the force are often uncharged, the photon in the EM interaction, the gluon in the strong interaction. The weak interaction has two vector bosons, the W and Z. The Z is electrically uncharged and the W is electrically charged. So the former is responsible for "neutral current" weak interactions and the W does "charged current" weak interactions.

So I can think of a kind of "vector charge" where one component is electric charge and the other part is weak charge?
Maybe I should read about isospin first?
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:36 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:54 pm

So I can think of a kind of "vector charge" where one component is electric charge and the other part is weak charge?
Maybe I should read about isospin first?
Isospin is a good place to start historically. It led to thinking about charged and neutral currents in the weak interaction.