notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

HST observations confirm SOME galaxies lack dark matter

Post by notFritzArgelander »

https://phys.org/news/2021-06-hubble-ga ... -dark.html

It's nail in coffin time for MOND. If a galaxy is found that has no DM then alternative gravity theories intended to explain DM away are all falsified. They need DM in every galaxy without exception. Will MONDophiles and MONDomaniacs recant? I'm not holding my breath. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: HST observations confirm SOME galaxies lack dark matter

Post by turboscrew »

"While DF2 and DF4 are both comparable in size to the Milky Way galaxy, their total masses are only about one percent of the Milky Way's mass."
How does it keep together? One would expect that the gravitational pull couldn't keep it together, and slower rotation would have made it smaller.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 pm "While DF2 and DF4 are both comparable in size to the Milky Way galaxy, their total masses are only about one percent of the Milky Way's mass."
How does it keep together? One would expect that the gravitational pull couldn't keep it together, and slower rotation would have made it smaller.
It keeps together by self gravitation. It's not the mass that matters, it's whether the internal velocities are small enough. For the stability under gravity the Virial Theorem states that twice the average internal kinetic energy is balanced in magnitude by the average gravitational potential energy. Headache alert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem

http://hosting.astro.cornell.edu/academ ... 201/vt.htm

The virial theorem is in fact how Fritz Zwicky discovered dark matter. Looking at the Coma Cluster of galaxies he saw that the velocities were too high for the observed masses. These diffuse galaxies have low enough internal velocities that the gravity of the observed objects is enough to hold it together. Not so for the Milky Way and more common galaxies.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:37 pm
turboscrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 pm "While DF2 and DF4 are both comparable in size to the Milky Way galaxy, their total masses are only about one percent of the Milky Way's mass."
It keeps together by self gravitation. It's not the mass that matters, it's whether the internal velocities are small enough. For the stability under gravity the Virial Theorem states that twice the average internal kinetic energy is balanced in magnitude by the average gravitational potential energy. Headache alert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virial_theorem

http://hosting.astro.cornell.edu/academ ... 201/vt.htm

The virial theorem is in fact how Fritz Zwicky discovered dark matter. Looking at the Coma Cluster of galaxies he saw that the velocities were too high for the observed masses. These diffuse galaxies have low enough internal velocities that the gravity of the observed objects is enough to hold it together. Not so for the Milky Way and more common galaxies.
Thanks! I think it requires some more concentration than I'm capable of now (it's almost 1 AM).
I think I got the idea how that is derived, but I need to go through it later with more rested brain.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

:ugeek: I need to read up on the Viriam.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 am :ugeek: I need to read up on the Viriam.
The virial theorem is one of the most important formulae in astrophysics. At the large scale you can get the mass of a cluster of galaxies and more in the neighborhood you can get the average inner temperature of the Sun. It's everywhere.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Stray thought: Several papers have posited a role for DM in galaxy formation and evolution have they not? And I'm sure I've seen simulations that demonstrate how both normal and DM redistribute themselves during galactic mergers. So do we suppose these galaxies to have formed in the absence of DM or to have somehow lost their DM in some manner? I can readily see the implications for MOND but does this tell us something we didn't know about DM?
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Hmm for a single particle, the force due to the potential is equal to the change of radial component of the momentum to keep the particle on the orbit?
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It looks like the harder part is figuring out the potential caused by a "fog" of other particles in such a way that it applies to "any particle" (or average particle).
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

GCoyote wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:44 pm Stray thought: Several papers have posited a role for DM in galaxy formation and evolution have they not? And I'm sure I've seen simulations that demonstrate how both normal and DM redistribute themselves during galactic mergers. So do we suppose these galaxies to have formed in the absence of DM or to have somehow lost their DM in some manner? I can readily see the implications for MOND but does this tell us something we didn't know about DM?
Indeed there are many papers on the essential role of DM in galaxy formation. Without DM one can only make globular cluster size objects. IIRC there’s an older thread where folks propose that these diffuse galaxies have lost their DM through tidal interactions with the main galaxy in their neighborhood. I’d post a link but my fingers are fat and I’m still lounging in bed with only a phone. ;) Later?
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:06 pm It looks like the harder part is figuring out the potential caused by a "fog" of other particles in such a way that it applies to "any particle" (or average particle).
It’s done for galaxy clusters in this way. Detailed studies of galaxies yield a mass to luminosity ratio, M/L. Spirals and ellipticals have very different M/L. With a decent distance and angular size one has a mean radius. The magnitude of the gravitational potential energy is then given by GM/R.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 pm
GCoyote wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:44 pm Stray thought: Several papers have posited a role for DM in galaxy formation and evolution have they not? And I'm sure I've seen simulations that demonstrate how both normal and DM redistribute themselves during galactic mergers. So do we suppose these galaxies to have formed in the absence of DM or to have somehow lost their DM in some manner? I can readily see the implications for MOND but does this tell us something we didn't know about DM?
Indeed there are many papers on the essential role of DM in galaxy formation. Without DM one can only make globular cluster size objects. IIRC there’s an older thread where folks propose that these diffuse galaxies have lost their DM through tidal interactions with the main galaxy in their neighborhood. I’d post a link but my fingers are fat and I’m still lounging in bed with only a phone. ;) Later?
Well I've finally moved the lazy bones to the laptop and found the older thread on tidal stripping of DM from these DM free galaxies.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16376&p=137568&hil ... es#p137568
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I recall gravitational force is logarithmic outside the ball of mass, but linear inside the (homogeneous) ball. Thus the GM/R?

First you calculate the kinetic energy of one "particle" on the average orbit.
Then you sum for all the "particles" on the average orbit.
Then you sum over the cross-section of the half disk.
If the results match, the system is stable. If not, the difference shows the speed of shrinking/expanding.

Am I even in the "hoods"?
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I don't seem to get what the dot product of F and r represent.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:42 am I recall gravitational force is logarithmic outside the ball of mass, but linear inside the (homogeneous) ball. Thus the GM/R?
Only this part has a problem. Outside a homogeneous sphere gravity is inverse square of R. So the potential is inverse R. (Logarithmic laws for potential happen for gravity in only 2 space dimensions with a result that force is 1/R. But you’re right that in a homogeneous sphere force is linear inside.)
First you calculate the kinetic energy of one "particle" on the average orbit.
Then you sum for all the "particles" on the average orbit.
Then you sum over the cross-section of the half disk.
If the results match, the system is stable. If not, the difference shows the speed of shrinking/expanding.

Am I even in the "hoods"?
Yes. But you’re making it more hard. All you need is the velocity dispersion of the particles, their number and masses. That gives the average kinetic energy. Compare that to the average potential energy given by the mass and size and you’re set.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:22 pm I don't seem to get what the dot product of F and r represent.
It’s a measure of the potential energy per particle.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:28 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:22 pm I don't seem to get what the dot product of F and r represent.
I could understand that if the F was constant when you bring the "particle" from the center of gravity to the distance r from the center of gravity. I understand that's not the case?

And thanks for reminding: I was mixing two things together. Understanding the cohesion AND the Virial theorem at the same time intermixed.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:36 pm
I could understand that if the F was constant when you bring the "particle" from the center of gravity to the distance r from the center of gravity. I understand that's not the case?[/url]

That is an unnecessary complication. Since F(r) ~ GM/r^2 the dot product with r gives ~ GM/r the potential.
And thanks for reminding: I was mixing two things together. Understanding the cohesion AND the Virial theorem at the same time intermixed.
You're welcome.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:51 pm

I could understand that if the F was constant when you bring the "particle" from the center of gravity to the distance r from the center of gravity. I understand that's not the case?[/url]
That is an unnecessary complication. Since F(r) ~ GM/r^2 the dot product with r gives ~ GM/r the potential.
You're welcome.
Aahh, now I'm starting to get it.
Thanks for your patience with me.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:04 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:51 pm
You're welcome.
Aahh, now I'm starting to get it.
Thanks for your patience with me.
No worries. Patience doesn't enter into it. It is always a pleasure to talk physics with folks who are polite and don't take the name of Emmy Noether in vain! :)