Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

testing the universe's expansion history with supernovae

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: testing the universe's expansion history with supernovae

Post by AntennaGuy »

So, basically they are adding another adjustable parameter, to better fit the data, hmm? I.e., the Hubble "constant" now gets an added rate-of-change parameter: "[M]odels for the expansion of the Universe best match the data when a new time dependent variation is introduced." Whether this is correct or not, it is not very satisfying. But then, we don't get to tell the universe what to do.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

AntennaGuy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 am So, basically they are adding another adjustable parameter, to better fit the data, hmm? I.e., the Hubble "constant" now gets an added rate-of-change parameter: "[M]odels for the expansion of the Universe best match the data when a new time dependent variation is introduced." Whether this is correct or not, it is not very satisfying. But then, we don't get to tell the universe what to do.
There is no way that the Friedmann equations for cosmology permits a zero time derivative for the Hubble parameter. The physics of GR requires that there be a time dependent variation. The changing matter density of the universe alone drives the change. Whether the "cosmological constant" term is non constant is the real problem. See the first 2 equations in the Wiki and you can see that GR demands a time varying Hubble parameter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations

The only thing really at stake here is:

1) Does H0 vary in time as GR with a cosmological constant requires?
2) Is something more exotic than a cosmological constant required to explain the observed variation of H0 with the age of the universe?
3) Are the observations verschimmelt?

I think a deeper look back at SN Ia is a promising try to assess the differences.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Excellent! More epicycles! 😎
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

@notFritzArgelander : You have talked about the time dependency of the Hubble "constant". I guess this is observational support for that.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:17 pm Excellent! More epicycles! 😎
:lol:

Seriously, no. GR requires that that the Hubble parameter varies as the universe ages. It’s about time ( ;) ) some one tries to measure it at more than 2 ages of the universe.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:21 pm @notFritzArgelander : You have talked about the time dependency of the Hubble "constant". I guess this is observational support for that.
It’s a start.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

The remarks above about measuring the time dependency of the Hubble parameter are humorous but quite wrong.

Using the notation of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations

the Friedmann metric for a homogenous and isotropic universe is

ds^2={a\left(t\right)}^2ds_3^2-c^2dt^2

The dynamical equation is the second of Friedmann's equations and describes the acceleration or deceleration of the universe's expansion and reads It's the one that corresponds to Newton's equation of motion in gravity.

\ddot{a}(t)/a(t)=-\frac{4piG}{3}(\rho+\frac{3p}{c^2})+\frac{Lambdac^2}{3}

The first of the Friedmann equations contains the Hubble parameter and reads

{(\dot{a}}^2(t)+kc^2)/a^2(t)=\frac{1}{3}(8piG\rho+Lambdac^2)

It can be regarded as energy conservation, a relationship between the energy of motion and the gravitational and other potential energies.

In the above k is -1, 0, or 1 depending on whether the universe is negatively curved, flat or positively curved. For simplicity let’s set k=0 which is the observed universe anyway.

Then from the first of the Friedmann equations we get

{\dot{a}}^2(t)/a^2(t)=H_0(t)^2=\frac{1}{3}(8piG\rho+Lambdac^2)

This makes the time dependence of the Hubble parameter explicit.

Comparing time varying Hubble parameter to epicycles if fair only when new fundamental constants (describing the epicycles) are introduced. No new fundamental constants are necessary here. No epicycles at all. Our measurement technology is improving so we can test the time variation predicted by GR using only G and c. No epicycles.

I'm struggling with the latex feature to get the equations to display right...... Hope it's legible enough.
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I was being facetious.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 am I was being facetious.
You perhaps were not the only one being facetious.
It’s good to know and hard to tell for sure without that reassurance. Thanks. When unsure, I tend to play straight man for folks making light.