Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

EM drive fails again with diagnostics

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Looks like positive results previously reported can be explained by thermal effects and cherry picking the data.

https://www.sciencealert.com/in-a-compr ... CtWOqC_-Xk
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: EM drive fails again with diagnostics

Post by AntennaGuy »

Aww... too bad! Oh, ok, who am I kidding? Hah hah hah hah! Ya' know, that Newton guy was no dummy.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

AntennaGuy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 pm Aww... too bad! Oh, ok, who am I kidding? Hah hah hah hah! Ya' know, that Newton guy was no dummy.
There was a meme posted on the jokes thread of 3 guys pushing a flat bed truck, two behind and one standing in the bed. The EM drive is just like only without the two guys pushing from behind. :lol: It's not that hard....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

I'm surprised this is still being pushed. 'Monomorphic,' - a truly dedicated craftsman, reached this conclusion with his setup a few years ago. some of the most sensitive scales ever - those little near microscopic motes you see in sunbeams? - his rig could weigh lighter particles than those with ease. Extensive thermal calculations to account for that end of things. And...nada. That was the experiment that convinced me the EM Drive was a chimera.

The one part of the EM Drive fiasco that still slightly intrigues me is something that pretty much all of the electrical engineers and scientist types agreed on: the dang thing acted like a capacitor, though strictly speaking it wasn't one/ (probably stated that wrong).
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

More detail. A bad mounting design at the NASA group led to bad measurements. This article reports that the positive results are nullified by a three order of magnitude (factor of a thousand) margin.

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-comprehen ... drive.html

Has this publicity stunt finally come to its end? Tune in to see.... :lol:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I cannot believe that they had to spend money/ time/ effort to disprove this theory....
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:39 pm I cannot believe that they had to spend money/ time/ effort to disprove this theory....
The original small funding for the NASA group that reported the positive results was a PR stunt to garner political support for NASA's mission from "trekkies". I opposed it every time the topic came up, I thought it a cynical and unethical attempt to politicize science. A hazard of doing pseudoscience as a PR ploy is that eventually some honest folks are going to feel honor bound to refute the falsehoods and that costs a little money to do so. I think that there would be less of this cynical and dishonest...... well..... crap, if the refuting folks could recover costs from the agencies that excreted this nonsense to begin with.

There needs to be a penalty for scientific fraud,
Pikaia Great Britain
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Pikaia »

People are still working on cold fusion, 32 years after the first claim. I wouldn't be surprised if EM drive research lasts as long.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

As noted in "The N-Ray Affair," an interesting article by Irving M. Klotz, Scientific American, Vol. 242, No. 5 (May 1980), pp. 168-175: " Science has no vicar on the earth to reveal doctrine and no central committee to proclaim dogma. In general, however, the evolution of scientific theories does appear to follow a pattern that is perhaps best described in an aphorism attributed to James Clerk Maxwell, the founder of the mathematical theory of electromagnetism. Maxwell is said to have observed in an introductory lecture on light: "There are two theories of the nature of light, the corpuscle theory and the wave theory; we used to believe in the corpuscle theory; now we believe in the wave theory because all those who believed in the corpuscle theory have died." Klotz then points out that the discoverer/chief proponent of N-rays, Rene Blondlot, "died in Nancy in 1930." Heh. Ergo, the EmDrive will likewise finally be dead, once those who believe in it and/or promote it pass away.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

AntennaGuy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 pm As noted in "The N-Ray Affair," an interesting article by Irving M. Klotz, Scientific American, Vol. 242, No. 5 (May 1980), pp. 168-175: " Science has no vicar on the earth to reveal doctrine and no central committee to proclaim dogma. In general, however, the evolution of scientific theories does appear to follow a pattern that is perhaps best described in an aphorism attributed to James Clerk Maxwell, the founder of the mathematical theory of electromagnetism. Maxwell is said to have observed in an introductory lecture on light: "There are two theories of the nature of light, the corpuscle theory and the wave theory; we used to believe in the corpuscle theory; now we believe in the wave theory because all those who believed in the corpuscle theory have died." Klotz then points out that the discoverer/chief proponent of N-rays, Rene Blondlot, "died in Nancy in 1930." Heh. Ergo, the EmDrive will likewise finally be dead, once those who believe in it and/or promote it pass away.

We can only hope. However I would point out that people are still trying to locate Atlantis. Ideas supported by romance are slow to yield to logic.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

The decease of the advocates is really a secondary effect. The primary cause of the death of bad ideas is that the next generation is not persuaded to adopt them. In the example of light, the corpuscular theory that did out in the 19th century has been revived by quantum ideas. The purely wave approach to light ran into trouble with Einstein's work on the photoelectric effect and Planck's on black body radiation.

Now we learn "wave-particle duality" or in more QED terms "Maxwell's equations are the Schroedinger equation for the EM potential which is the wave function for photons".