Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Dr H video on Schrödinger's famous cat

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Dr H video on Schrödinger's famous cat

Post by SkyHiker »

The way I explain the Schroedinger cat to myself is that decoherence sets in pretty much instantly when the chain of events goes from the atomic level to the higher macroscopic device triggers. So as soon as the interaction is more macroscopic than the atomic level some sort of measurement has implicitly been done, decoherence happened and the cat will be dead or alive long before someone opens the box - long meaning in terms of that short timescale. You don't really need to investigate new explanations for quantum physics to explain it. It's still interesting what she concludes though especially if it leads to tests that lead to different results for different foundations.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dr H video on Schrödinger's famous cat

Post by notFritzArgelander »

SkyHiker wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:49 am The way I explain the Schroedinger cat to myself is that decoherence sets in pretty much instantly when the chain of events goes from the atomic level to the higher macroscopic device triggers. So as soon as the interaction is more macroscopic than the atomic level some sort of measurement has implicitly been done, decoherence happened and the cat will be dead or alive long before someone opens the box - long meaning in terms of that short timescale. You don't really need to investigate new explanations for quantum physics to explain it. It's still interesting what she concludes though especially if it leads to tests that lead to different results for different foundations.
That kind of explanation is also how I deal with it. Measurement happens as soon as any macroscopic trace is left. No consciousness is required. I'm not persuaded yet that different foundational interpretations lead to different experimental results. So far no one has shown a problem that Copenhagen can't handle.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5