Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Dr H video: "Was the universe made for us?"

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dr H video: "Was the universe made for us?"

I admit I had a brief struggle with whether or not to post this link. I hope that it is not mistaken for an exercise in religion. I am comfortable with and will use the terms G-d or Nature comfortably. The content is an exemplary use of logic and statistical inference and should be taken as such.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

To me, her approach comes across as 'argument by definition.' Not saying it's invalid, it just hinges on...Occam's Razor...which has the potential for error and revision. Simplest solution not always the correct solution.

That said, strictly as a theoretical exercise, I see nothing wrong with 'universe building' where one or several of the 'constants' in the real universe is radically different or absent altogether. Perhaps such efforts, showing how things would work in such theoretical universes, would have...insights...into issues with how the real universe operates.

I'd also point out that apart from Earth and *maybe* a few tens of millions of somewhat similar planets, the universe seems downright hostile to life arising.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

ThinkerX wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:35 pm To me, her approach comes across as 'argument by definition.' Not saying it's invalid, it just hinges on...Occam's Razor...which has the potential for error and revision. Simplest solution not always the correct solution.
I don't see that Occam's razor in invoked at all and I think that mischaracterizes and confuses the issue. As an "argument by definition", indeed, it is that. That is all that is left when one leaves science behind to do metaphysics. When one entertains metaphysical hypotheses that are not empirically testable, then, one is, by definition NOT doing science.
That said, strictly as a theoretical exercise, I see nothing wrong with 'universe building' where one or several of the 'constants' in the real universe is radically different or absent altogether. Perhaps such efforts, showing how things would work in such theoretical universes, would have...insights...into issues with how the real universe operates.
And just what observations would those exercises in theoretical metaphysics predict that could be tested?
I'd also point out that apart from Earth and *maybe* a few tens of millions of somewhat similar planets, the universe seems downright hostile to life arising.
Yes, both the volume averaged and mass averaged densities for life are rather small. :lol:

Her argument is perfectly fine with me. Folks who insist on the fine tuning arguments are being useful have never done adequate reading (and comprehension!) of Kant. Specifically the folks Dr H is taking issue with are in ignorance of Kant's Fourth Antinomy of Pure Reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kant%27s_ ... ng_or_not)
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

I was a surprised that she did not even mention the words "anthropic principle" within the context of this discussion. I can only assume that particular phrase is losing popularity; perhaps it was all just a fad?
:shrug:
And for those few who may not already know more than they want to know about that, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

AntennaGuy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:59 pm I was a surprised that she did not even mention the words "anthropic principle" within the context of this discussion. I can only assume that particular phrase is losing popularity; perhaps it was all just a fad?
:shrug:
And for those few who may not already know more than they want to know about that, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle
I think that it has become so overgrown with metaphysical speculation that it is not popular with Dr H at any rate.

One note about the link though. On the particular point of Fred Hoyle's prediction of the Carbon 12 resonance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic ... _carbon-12) we discussed the anthropic nature of the prediction in a stellar structure and evolution class in 1974 as something that was pretty cool. :) Regardless of the historicity, no carbon, no life.
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

I don't see that Occam's razor in invoked at all and I think that mischaracterizes and confuses the issue. As an "argument by definition", indeed, it is that. That is all that is left when one leaves science behind to do metaphysics. When one entertains metaphysical hypotheses that are not empirically testable, then, one is, by definition NOT doing science.
It was the way she said (paraphrase) additions to the constants were not needed. (okay, really horrible paraphrase)
And just what observations would those exercises in theoretical metaphysics predict that could be tested?
This would be one of the situations where the theoretical exercise alone might be interesting: conditions in a universe without Dark Matter, or a radically different Cosmological Constant. A 'thought experiment,' like the 'view from a photon.' With the understanding this is purely a theoretical exercise.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

ThinkerX wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:21 am
It was the way she said (paraphrase) additions to the constants were not needed. (okay, really horrible paraphrase)
This would be one of the situations where the theoretical exercise alone might be interesting: conditions in a universe without Dark Matter, or a radically different Cosmological Constant. A 'thought experiment,' like the 'view from a photon.' With the understanding this is purely a theoretical exercise.
It might be entertaining and interesting to some as a theoretical exercise in mathematical metaphysics. However it is of zero scientific value without testable consequences. That’s her point with which I agree wholeheartedly.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Like she said: Science does not prove anything about existence of God(s).
Also, to my understanding, you can make statistics about a single event, but the error range is infinite.
Or in probability, 1.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.