Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: protoplanetary disc shredded by 3 central stars

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:12 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:53 pm

The path of the system is arbitrarily close to the attractor.
Arbitrarily close to what?
THAT! You're making this too hard..... Just because the set of points of an orbit is arbitrarily close to the a funny set doesn't mean that the set isn't asymptotically stable.
(Alternating between scratching my head and and removing splinters from under my finger nails...)
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:30 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:07 pm
Arbitrarily close to what?
THAT! You're making this too hard..... Just because the set of points of an orbit is arbitrarily close to the a funny set doesn't mean that the set isn't asymptotically stable.
(Alternating between scratching my head and and removing splinters from under my finger nails...)
Let's try this.... if you delta your system away from its Lorenz orbit will it not epsilon its way back to a Lorenz orbit?
The answer is yes. Therefore AFAIK the Lorenz attractor is asymptotically stable.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:59 pm

Let's try this.... if you delta your system away from its Lorenz orbit will it not epsilon its way back to a Lorenz orbit?
The answer is yes. Therefore AFAIK the Lorenz attractor is asymptotically stable.
It's the "asymptotically" that confuses me. That usually means closing in, but never quite reaching something. That's why I guessed it is stable, but not asymptotically. And how does a trajectory get close to "family of curves"? What does it get close to, then?
BTW, "if you delta your system away from its Lorenz orbit will it not epsilon its way back to a Lorenz orbit?"
Almost poetically put. :)
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:27 pm
It's the "asymptotically" that confuses me. That usually means closing in, but never quite reaching something. That's why I guessed it is stable, but not asymptotically. And how does a trajectory get close to "family of curves"? What does it get close to, then?
BTW, "if you delta your system away from its Lorenz orbit will it not epsilon its way back to a Lorenz orbit?"
Ah, that helps. I think we have a resolution.

I think you are overloading the word "asymptotically". The "never quite reaching" is extra. In this case we have asymptotic stability in time. If you delta yourself away, in time you epsilon your way back and that epsilon can be shown to be smaller as time goes by,

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm

I think you are overloading the word "asymptotically". The "never quite reaching" is extra. In this case we have asymptotic stability in time. If you delta yourself away, in time you epsilon your way back and that epsilon can be shown to be smaller as time goes by,

Yes,,, in TIME!. Now I got it - finally. Thanks for your extreme patience with me, nFA.
- Juha

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:07 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:58 pm

Yes,,, in TIME!. Now I got it - finally. Thanks for your extreme patience with me, nFA.
Not a worry. It's always pleasure to talk through a conceptual clarification.