Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

MW halo very hot at 10 million K

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: MW halo very hot at 10 million K

Post by ThinkerX »

perhaps the creators of 'Star Trek' were on to something with this episode (though perhaps this would fit the 'dark matter theory of the moment' better)

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

But the trick is that hot does not mean hot and dense. ;)
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

well, what intrigued me with the clip was the commentary by Spock (paraphrased)

'Deflectors say something is there' - presumably some for of matter or energy, much like Dark Matter's effects are obvious because of gravitational distortion.

'Sensors say nothing is there' - which reminded me of the growing list of failed efforts to identify Dark Matter.

It's almost like the writers were attempting to describe Dark Matter, yet I am uncertain if the theory even existed at the time the episode was filmed.

Then again, it's Hollywood, so...
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

ThinkerX wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:51 am well, what intrigued me with the clip was the commentary by Spock (paraphrased)

'Deflectors say something is there' - presumably some for of matter or energy, much like Dark Matter's effects are obvious because of gravitational distortion.

'Sensors say nothing is there' - which reminded me of the growing list of failed efforts to identify Dark Matter.

It's almost like the writers were attempting to describe Dark Matter, yet I am uncertain if the theory even existed at the time the episode was filmed.

Then again, it's Hollywood, so...
Yeah... There are differences though. The barrier Spock detects is at the "edge" of the galaxy, but galaxies have no well defined edges. Also DM is everywhere and extends beyond the luminous halo in a more extensive DM halo.

The first form of Dark Matter we detected in a lab was neutrinos. It took many decades to secure a detection in a lab.Will it take many centuries to find DM?

I don't know... There is also the dreadful possibility that the cross section for interaction is so low that any signal would be swamped by the signal from cosmic background neutrinos. If that is the case we're stuck and I cannot envision a successful lab detection.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5