Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Quanta: Some Physicists See Signs of Cosmic Strings From the Big Bang

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I missed this article when it first appeared almost a year ago.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/pulsar-d ... nrkRMZQ1kQ

It's a credible alternative to particle dark matter, perhaps? Topological defects from phase transitions would have mass and would not be made of particles.

Unlike uninteresting speculations (like MOND, etc.) this is fully testable.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2009.06607
The North American Nanohertz Observatory for Gravitational Waves (NANOGrav) has recently reported strong evidence for a stochastic common-spectrum process affecting the pulsar timing residuals in its 12.5-year data set. We demonstrate that this process admits an interpretation in terms of a stochastic gravitational-wave background emitted by a cosmic-string network in the early Universe. We study stable Nambu-Goto strings in dependence of their tension Gμ and loop size α and show that the entire viable parameter space will be probed by an array of future experiments.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Quanta: Some Physicists See Signs of Cosmic Strings From the Big Bang

Post by turboscrew »

"...whisper-thin tubes filled by pure energy..."
What the heck is that?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:09 pm "...whisper-thin tubes filled by pure energy..."
What the heck is that?
There's an analogy in the ice cube tray in the freezer. Look at the ice cube. It isn't perfectly clear but contains voids filled with air in the form of bubbles (point defects ;) ) and streaks (analogous to the whisper thin tubes ;) ) filled with air. This makes the ice opaque and hard to see through. The edges are often more transparent because the freezing started slowly there allowing the dissolved gases to migrate in the water, But the ice cube finishes freezing very quickly and leaves behind these gas pockets that don't have time to escape.

Now the early universe didn't cool slowly enough for no defects to form in the fields of interactions in the vacuum. It froze fast and the parts that froze out quickly due to overdensity fluctuations became the vacuum the we know and love today after 13+ billion years. There remained behind these defects with the energy of the fields at the grand unification temperature. They can't "shine" because the vacuum inside the tubes (and presumable point defects too) is different from the outside. Maxwell's Equations only hold OUTSIDE the tubes. The vacuum INSIDE the tubes is relic vacuum from the Grand Unification Energy. So high mass density....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_unification_energy
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I got the "whisper-thin tubes"-part, but "pure energy"?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm I got the "whisper-thin tubes"-part, but "pure energy"?
The energy density at the Grand Unification Energy is trapped in the defects. The energy is the energy of EM, weak and strong nuclear forces at the Grand Unification Energy. No particles yet, just the fields. There haven't been enough symmetry breaking phase transitions to make the Standard Model particles yet. At that epoch all there are consists of the fields. That's the unpacking of the rather poetic but opaque "pure energy" remark.
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

turboscrew wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:09 pm "...whisper-thin tubes filled by pure energy..."
What the heck is that?
Pirouline Rolled Wafers filled with Nutella. Oh yeah...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

"...whisper-thin tubes filled by pure energy..."

Said Mr Spock
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED