Tried the Quark :<)

Discuss solar related topics.
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Tried the Quark :<)

Post by Bikerdib »

As the title says, there was a break in the clouds this morning so I decided to test the Quark. I set up my AVX with the ES 80mm scope, William's Optics 2" diagonal and Baader UV/IR filter. I just did a quick align (didn't think I'd have much luck with the usual 2+4 procedure during the day). Of course, as soon as I got set up clouds moved over the sun but that was not too bad since I needed to let the Quark come on temperature at the recommended setting. After a while the light turned green but the clouds were still covering my intended target. I went inside and grabbed a towel, gross as it sounds, sweat was rolling due to the 89° temp and 90+% humidity.

About 15 minutes later the cloud began to move away so I selected "Sun" on the hand control. I took a look through my TV 32mm Plossel and saw... blackness. I used the hand control to move around a little but no luck. I decided to widen the view a little and swapped to my TV 40mm Plossel. Still no luck.... humm. Moving the scope around a little with the buttons brought no luck. Another cloud moved in so I took a break and went into some shade. Then it dawned on me, I didn't level the tripod so the go to was off quite a lot. After the cloud cleared the Sun, I used the score's shadow to align on the Sun. I looked through the eyepiece and could see some brightness to one side and moved over to it, BINGO.

A little focusing and I got our star into view. I moved the FOV around and with the 40mm, the entire disc was in view. I tried the focus a little more but couldn't make out any granulation. What I did see though was a little surprise, a small flare. Cool (well actually no, I was cooking under the silver reflective cover I had made for use with my solar wedge). I tried adjusting the Quark setting 2 clicks clockwise. While I waited for the temperature to come on, I studied the flare. I noticed the light turned green again but still no surface features. Maybe the seeing was too bad? I quickly had to grab my towel because a drop of perspiration was about to drop onto my eyepiece.

OK, enough of that, I need to get an earlier start next time and hopefully when the humidity is a little more bearable. That unfortunately doesn't happen often here in SE Texas.

Over all, I'd say the Quark will be fun and interesting... especially when there is some real solar activity to view.
Dennis ~ 45 years of astronomy and not giving up anytime soon
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Re: Tried the Quark :<)

Post by smp »

Thanks for the great report!

When I set up to observe with my TV-85, I first get my scope set up and aligned on the Sun with my white light filter. Then, with the Sun centered with a 40mm or 32mm Plossl eyepiece, I can then switch over to the Quark. Unless I'm sloppy or in too much of a rush, pretty much every time I will be on the Sun when I switch to the Quark.

My favorite eyepiece to use is my 32mm Plossl. I don't know if the eyepiece design matters in this setup or not, but my 32mm Plossl gives me the least difficulty with blackouts in the optical train.

You can learn about focussing best on the prominences, I think. Then, say you're looking at a 1/4 disk image, varying your focus slowly back & forth a little will reveal a better view of the surface features. Also, it is great if there is a Sun spot near the limb. Then you can really experiment with focussing on the edge and then see what effect the varying of focus does to the Sun spot image.

I found that it takes some practice for you to be able to discern surface features. I would start with varying focus first, then move on to varying the Quark setting after you have some experience under your belt.

Good luck!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Thanks for the tips Stephen. I was able to see granulation with the PST I used to own so I'd think I will with he 80mm and Quark combination. I just need more time at the eyepiece getting focus and Quark temperature set. I gave up today due to high humidity (which I'm sure affects transparency) and limited time between clouds.
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Congratulations on getting your Quark first light!!!

It takes a bit of 'fiddling' to get things dialed in but once you figure out YOUR settings the Quark they perform very well! Also right now there's not much on the surface to see. Once there's a spot you should be able to get things dialed in.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Yes Gordon, I regularly check Gong H-alpha and the white light websites. Something is bound to happen at SOME point.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

From what I saw this morning, it appears there is something coming around on the western edge. Should be fully visible in the next 24 hours or so. (if the clouds co-operate!)
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Yes, I just checked and I see what you are talking about. It looks promising but the next day or so will tell.

The small prom on the northeast is the one I saw.
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Gordon wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 pm From what I saw this morning, it appears there is something coming around on the western edge. Should be fully visible in the next 24 hours or so. (if the clouds co-operate!)
What I have coming around the western edge, and the northern edge, and the eastern edge, and the south is b*** rain..... :sigh:
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Good work, Dennis.:thumbsup:

Battling high humidity is always an issue. I do my best to shoot between 1100 & 1300hrs when the sun is at its highest and there is far less of the "wet stuff" to deal with.

As mentioned, one really needs a feature like a sunspot or a long filament to experiment with surface focus. We're still in the bottom of the current solar minimum cycle so one's patience is tested... It'll come.:) When adjusting the dial for the blue-shifted surface features, keep in mind that the contrast will "come in" from the lower right side of the image... that's true for any etalon device.

As far as focusing goes, it's much easier to practice on the limb area because the contrast is much greater... space is pretty black.:lol:

I'm happy that your new device is working well for you. Welcome to the wierd world of solar heads.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C