Looking at future solar telescope

Discuss solar related topics.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

Looking at future solar telescope

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Just looking for some thoughts and recommendations, all of my solar experience has been with Coronado and older Daystar Quantum refractors.

This is strictly for visual use, is there any standout features that make one brand stand out more than another between Coronado, Lunt and Daystar?

Looking at the 80-90mm sized telescopes.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Re: Looking at future solar telescope

Post by smp »

My experience is with first owning a PST, then double stacking it, and then finally purchasing the Quark. Really, the only thing I can say is, “What took me so long?”

As you already know, I am only a visual observer. I absolutely love the bright image and all the details provided by the Quark. The ability to jump up to 85mm aperture from the 40mm PST brought a whole new experience in Solar viewing for much less cost than an all-in-one dedicated scope.

That’s been my experience. I’m sure you’ll hear from the dedicated scope fans, too.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Perhaps investigate the loan of something - try before you buy?

I've just been onto SGL where someone said they'd had a loan of a skymax to try out on the moon - before sending it back!!!!
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Have you seen this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=654&p=6889#p6889
Just call me Geoff....

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Trying a solar telescope on the Moon?....
Please tell me you are joking.

Duty calls, back later :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen

Post by smp »

Altocumulus wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:29 am Perhaps investigate the loan of something - try before you buy?

I've just been onto SGL where someone said they'd had a loan of a skymax to try out on the moon - before sending it back!!!!
There's an unfortunate blank line in between your first sentence and the second. At first, I only read the second sentence, and I thought this was posted in the wrong Forum! :lol:

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

With the Quark having the fixed 4.2x barlow in it I am not really that interested, so am looking at the refractors more.
I was looking at the Quantum refractors but seeing that they are a carbon fibre tube now I will be avoiding those :)
Gabrielle
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:58 pm Trying a solar telescope on the Moon?....
Please tell me you are joking.

Duty calls, back later :)
Call me crazy, but I'm sure in my travels around the websites I've seen someone mention they done it...... :geek:
Just call me Geoff....

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Sadly I also seem to recall someone at CN doing the same thing when I thought about it.
Perhaps the same person.

So nobody has experience between the Coronado and Lunt refractors?
Gabrielle

Post by smp »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:34 pm So nobody has experience between the Coronado and Lunt refractors?
I've invited a couple of folks who are active over on CN to join here, but so far nothing has come of it.
Too bad, as I'm certain they would be very helpful in this conversation...

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hello , I quickly joined a couple of weeks ago and have not formally introduced myself . My name is Mike and I have been mostly into solar for the past 9 years . My current equipment is mostly Coronado but I have owned a Quark Chromosphere and viewed through Lunt pressure tuned 50's and 60's . My focus has been in imaging but I have used all of my equipment for viewing as well as imaging . These are my personal opinions on the products that I have used as far as viewing and not imaging .
Quark , For viewing mine was excellent as far as having a bright and very even field of view , the only thing I didn't like was the narrow view , I made 2" eyepiece adaptor (now available) for mine and found the view to be much better when I used wide angle eyepieces .
Coronado , I have the most experience with these etalons , internal and external . These are air spaced , tilt tuned etalons . On the plus side they can be tuned to proms or surface instantly . On the negative side it can sometimes be tricky to tune these etalons to produce an even view across the full field of view , this can be dependent on the etalon itself , some are better than others . If double stacking it is much easier to even the field by rotating 1 etalon .
Lunt The earlier tilt tuned lunt products react pretty much the same as Coronado etalons What puts Lunt ahead of Coronado in my opinion is their pressure tuned etalons , these produce a nice even field with less tweaking . If you are not considering imaging in the future a Lunt 50 is a decent scope for the price , now that they have improved the focuser . For a bit more money a Quark Chromo is an excellent filter but the view will depend on what scope you are using it in , short tube fracs are best suited Quarks . Dedicated solar scopes all offer amazing views but become very expensive when you go beyond 60mm .
Hope this has been helpful .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Thank you for your thoughts Mike :)
Imaging is not a consideration so no issues there. 2” eyepieces are very rare in my eyepiece collection unless they start making Abbe and monocentrics in 2” :lol:

I will have to look more into the two different setups between the Lunt and SM III
My largest problem with the Quark (besides the built in 4.2x barlow) almost all discussion of them include the caveat of “if you get a good one”. With the amount of time these have been on the market and their price point, this to me should not be a consideration anymore.
I have used a 102mm Daystar Quantum PE (0.3A) and that can truly spoil you for viewing with anything else!
Gabrielle
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

If the SM III is in your budget it would be a great scope . I have not used one but the biggest advantage that I see is they use 2 external full ap etalons , this is better because it eliminates any corrective lenses that internal etalons or Quark filters use . They have also finally improved the focuser . I have 2 external Coronado etalons , both have the richview tuning and both produce a nice even field across the full view .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The 60 SMII I have used has the helical focuser which once I figured out its quirks was not terrible but could be improved.
I do like the fact that with the III both etelons are external, not that I would use the telescope for regular viewing as I have other refractors for that.
I think I need to find a new Lunt that I can borrow for a while to see how it works.
Gabrielle

Post by smp »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm... My largest problem with the Quark (besides the built in 4.2x barlow) almost all discussion of them include the caveat of “if you get a good one”. ...
I also have seen so many of those cautions, and also the horror stories about going through two or three Quarks before getting one that works right. Good thing for me is that before I purchased mine, those stories seemed to be several years in the past.

When I made my decision to buy, I went to the B&H Photo web site and made my order.

It seems that then, once I had made my commitment, I started to come across a number of stories that echoed those problems of the past, but they were happening here in the present. Yes, those issues are still being reported today.

My experience: From first light with my Quark, the only “trouble” that I’ve had is learning how to use it properly, and gaining the experience to learn to see the Ha Solar image. My image is nice and bright, and even all across. While I’ve only experimented a little with the adjustment knob, I find that I don’t have to move it away from the 12:00 position. To coin a phrase, my Quark “just works.”

I don’t deny that others have had, and seem to still have problems “getting a good one.” Mine has been excellent right from the get-go.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Quark restricts me to only one or two telescopes due to the 4.2x barlow built into it, with the Coronado or Lunt I can pick my barlow and eyepiece for the views.
My shortest focal length refractor is a f/6.9 which would be f/29 with the Quark. Eyepiece selection becomes fairly limited at that focal length.
Gabrielle
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

This is a good point and is why I sold mine , it is a very rare day when or if I can shoot at 4.2X with any of my scopes . This was more critical for imaging and not as much for viewing so I did not bring it up . Another thing to remember about the Quark is that it was designed as an entry level filter and marketed as an eyepiece holder . this could be why there has been so many returns . Daystar's Quantum is their higher end series and these ones operate at closer tolerances but they ain't cheap , but not much Ha solar is .
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Quantum PE refractor I was viewing with at Lomnicky Stit Observatory (Slovakia) was around 20 000 € though I am not considering spending that amount for a solar telescope :lol:
Gabrielle
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Since it does not seem as many have done comparisons between the Coronado and Lunt how about people listing quirks of the system they are using?
Gabrielle