So You Think You're a Solar Imager???

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

So You Think You're a Solar Imager???

Post by Lowjiber »

Please bear with me, I'm going somewhere with this...

Good, Better, Best...
Never let it rest...
Until the Good is Better...
And the Better is Best.

That's true in everything we do. Good, Better, and Best are simply indefinable levels of success in our endeavors. Solar imaging is one of the endeavors that not many people do, so being "good" at it is a relative thing. Being "good" is often one's own assessment. Every time I think I'm "good", I'm reminded of an old platitude... "When you stop getting better, you quit being good."

All that being said, I often refer to the solar work of those who are the "best". Not that I'm nearly at their level, but simply as a measure of my progress. Here are two solar imagers that are generally considered to be the "best"...

First off, is a Brit named Alexandria Hart (solarnutcase). When she enters a contest, everyone else is playing for second place. Many have heard me say that about her, and I rank her as number one because she not only makes great images, but writes extensively about the methods, etc. Here's a link to what I consider "the bible" of solar imaging...
https://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/18572.html

For those considering a Quark, she's done a lot of testing using the Doppler shifting knob when imaging proms and surfaces.

Secondly, is a fellow from Buffalo, NY named, Alan Friedman. You'll find his work everywhere, but the best examples are found in a TEDx talk he did a few years back. Here's a link...
https://www.universetoday.com/99301/cat ... -friedman/

More of his work can be see at: https://avertedimagination.squarespace.com/

So, I offer that whether you are new at this game or have been around a while, take a little time to study the work of those who are truly the "best". You'll likely kick your solar rig a couple of times, but you'll learn a lot too.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: So You Think You're a Solar Imager???

Post by Altocumulus »

I'll second Alexandria....
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Thanks for this John, it's confirmed what I've thought for a while..............I'm crap at this game , but I enjoy it too much to stop.( much like Golf )

Keith.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

If I do get into solar observing/photography I certainly won't be "best" at it. But I do try for "continuous improvement" in most of my actions in daily life.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Stickied....... :text-yeahthat:
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Don't forget Randy Shivak, a great imager and and even better outreach person! And finally John a good teacher who helped me with imaging over the years

During the minimum I have been doing a ton of bird photography you can find my astro images and land images at www.jeffpadell.com
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 pm Don't forget Randy Shivak, a great imager and and even better outreach person! And finally John a good teacher who helped me with imaging over the years

During the minimum I have been doing a ton of bird photography you can find my astro images and land images at www.jeffpadell.com
John is THE MAN !!!!
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Every time I get the blues about where I'm shooting the sun from I look at this site where one of the top ten in the world takes images...
BG Site.jpg
That pic was taken in March 2020.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C