Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

New record for Solar minimum

Post by Thefatkitty »

I usually check Spaceweather.com on a frequent basis, in hopes of some spots. Of course, the weather would have to cooperate as well.

Seems over the weekend the Sun broke a record for spotlessness held since the start of the Space Age in 1957. Another Maunder minimum? I guess we'll have to see over the next 70 years.... :lol:

The last time this year I had good weather and an active Sol was April 13 of this year, with AR2738. There have been a few others, but either it was cloudy, or if I did catch it, you'd need a magnifying glass to see it!

AR2738.png

I wonder if Solar filters have dropped in price at all ;)

Hope you're having clear skies!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New record for Solar minimum

Post by bladekeeper »

Maybe a Maunder Minimum, but it is also a Classic Curtain of Cloud Covering Curtailment. :D

I haven't even seen the Sun for days now. Just a dreary and low grey ceiling of abysmal. :lol:

Say, I remember that sunspot!

Image20190414 14_21_15_g4_ap10083 by Bryan Gabbard, on Flickr
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:23 am Maybe a Maunder Minimum, but it is also a Classic Curtain of Cloud Covering Curtailment. :D

I haven't even seen the Sun for days now. Just a dreary and low grey ceiling of abysmal. :lol:

Say, I remember that sunspot!

CCCCC? :lol: Well said and your sky sounds exactly like mine. Shared weather.... Anyone else?;)

That's a great picture! I'm figuring that was your SV102 and a glass filter? I love the color! And I think by the dates on your and my picture, the clear skies moved south and a bit west after I had my turn..... :lol:

All the best buddy,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:43 amCCCCC? :lol: Well said and your sky sounds exactly like mine. Shared weather.... Anyone else?;)

That's a great picture! I'm figuring that was your SV102 and a glass filter? I love the color! And I think by the dates on your and my picture, the clear skies moved south and a bit west after I had my turn..... :lol:

All the best buddy,
Yeah, that would have been the SV102T, ASI174MC, and Thousand Oaks film. I really wish I could dig out some granularity like you get. I need more practice with the Day Orb, I reckon. :D

I think the Sun would be much more photogenic at night. Not sure how to make that happen though...
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

bladekeeper wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:52 am

I think the Sun would be much more photogenic at night. Not sure how to make that happen though...
I do it remotely Bryan with my cam and tele set up in Hong Kong. I can take pics of the Sun all night long. 😊
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks for er, rubbing it in!

Perhaps someone ought to tell Lunt Systems their telescopes might not show anything for (what!) 70 years!
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Steveinit
Earth Ambassador

Post by Steveinit »

Any time y'all wanna stop posting awesome images I'd need a lot more gear to replicate would be great :) That's really awesome!
Gear: Orion XT6 Dobs, Orion ST80, Bushnell 12×50 binos, 4-20×70 spotting scope of unknown origin, and at least one good enough eye.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Steveinit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:40 pm Any time y'all wanna stop posting awesome images I'd need a lot more gear to replicate would be great :) That's really awesome!
Hey Steve, no actually, for me it did not take a lot. An old C80 telescope, a piece of Baader solar film (less than $50) and some thin plastic, cardboard, and duct tape :D

01.JPG
02.JPG
Image001.png

I remove the dew shield to use the filter. Bryan uses a glass filter, which gives the Sun that cool yellow.

The Baader is probably the cheapest way to go for looking at/photographing our star. Your ST80 would be good for that, as well as your 6", though I don't think you could take pics with the dob. One sheet would do for both scopes with some left over. The 6" would not even need a full aperture filter.
With my sheet, I made filter for my 60mm, 80mm, and 102mm, and there's enough left for another 60mm. Fun project with very satisfying results. Best part is, there's all of us here if you need a hand! :D

All the best,
Mark

Solar:
3052 Member of the RASC
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Steveinit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:40 pm Any time y'all wanna stop posting awesome images I'd need a lot more gear to replicate would be great :) That's really awesome!
Steve, looking at your signature I see that you have an ST80. That is a perfect scope to duplicate TFK's project above. I've shot plenty of solar images with one of those puppies.

There's lots of help here... just ask.

BTW: Solar imaging can become addictive. Tread lightly my friend.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Ha! I haven't seen a sunspot in years. I've been watching the trend of very few (if any) spots. The earth will cool - and perhaps enter a mini ice age. Something to think about if temps are warm in the winter. Wait till the spots return + global warming will = 3-5 degree Centigrade increase in temp. NASA keeps on saying that we are in a normal cycle, but we should have started seeing an increase in spots by now. Maybe we will get some breathing room to get our pollution under control? Or will it just encourage the polluters to keep throwing chemicals that can kill us into the air by claiming that science is wrong?
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Star Dad wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:47 pm Ha! I haven't seen a sunspot in years. I've been watching the trend of very few (if any) spots. The earth will cool - and perhaps enter a mini ice age. Something to think about if temps are warm in the winter. Wait till the spots return + global warming will = 3-5 degree Centigrade increase in temp. NASA keeps on saying that we are in a normal cycle, but we should have started seeing an increase in spots by now. Maybe we will get some breathing room to get our pollution under control? Or will it just encourage the polluters to keep throwing chemicals that can kill us into the air by claiming that science is wrong?
Well.... global warming is too severe for a mini ice age. The best that can be hoped for is a little more breathing room so we can get our climate denying politicians dumped or re-educated so we don't commit the species suicide to which they are leading us.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

I always fear that if Politicians make the decisions we could end up pushing the balance too far the other way and we rapidly cool!
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Altocumulus wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am I always fear that if Politicians make the decisions we could end up pushing the balance too far the other way and we rapidly cool!
I think we are safe against that. There's so much warming baked in ( :duck: ) due to emissions history that net cooling is off the table. The timescale for natural processing of CO2 (and methane from oceanic clathrate sublimation and permafrost thaw) is so long the politicians can't induce net cooling.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5