Discuss solar related topics.
salehram
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Finally I'm getting into solar through Quark but need advise on telescope

Post by salehram »

Hi all,

I've been waiting and saving for a while, now it comes finally when I'll be able to get to see the Sun in H-Alpha.

I'm getting a Quark chromosphere, but I'm a bit lost now between 2 telescopes for it:
Meade Infinity 80mm
Looks a descent one, I can use it as a grab and go telescope, and the whole family can use it as well as it comes with a set of EPs and an AZ mount, plus its focal length is f/5, that's a good wide field I'll get for night time and for the Sun observation as well...

The second option I have is:
DayStar 80mm Refractor Telescope with Quark H-Alpha Solar Filter
I'm only getting the OTA + the actual filter in one package. The only reason I am considering this is the fact it is being sold as a package, so the quality might be a bit better?

I need one final bit help to decide. And that is a feedback about the Meade 80mm telescope...

Anyone tried it? Is it worth it and how is the quality of the mount?
These would be really helpful!
Thanks a lot
Telescope(s): Celestron Omni XLT 102mm (4") f/9.8 refractor w/ upgraded GSO focuser and RACI finder + QHY MiniGuideScope
Mount: Computerized (OnStep) CG-4 | Eyepieces: 25mm, 14mm, 10mm, Omni 2x barlow, GSO 3x barlow
Cameras: ZWO ASI224MC-S, QHY5L II-Mono | Binoculars: Oberwerk 11x56
I used to take photos from the house's window, but not anymore!
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Finally I'm getting into solar through Quark but need advise on telescope

Post by helicon »

I hope you pick one out that will fit your situation. Congrats in advance on the new scope. I can't offer much advice on solar stuff...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Personally, I bought the Daystar Quark Chromosphere to match up with my TV-85. I love it.

I've read on the Internet that the Daystar packages do not offer a scope that would be useful for nighttime viewing. That's only what I've read around. Based solely on that, I'd vote for one of the fine 80mm scopes available from a variety of vendors.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

smp wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:24 pm Personally, I bought the Daystar Quark Chromosphere to match up with my TV-85. I love it.

I've read on the Internet that the Daystar packages do not offer a scope that would be useful for nighttime viewing. That's only what I've read around. Based solely on that, I'd vote for one of the fine 80mm scopes available from a variety of vendors.

smp
Quite right. Some of the Daystar packages have the Quark unit built into the scope and not removable. I was fortunate to spend time with an Astro Physics refractor and a Quark. It was splendid. Solar observing requires excellent stray light control found in very good OTAs.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
salehram
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by salehram »

So I'll go with the Meade option then...

I was also between Meade and Celesteon AstroMaster 80mm, the the mount of the Meade appears more user friendly than of the Celestron one..
Telescope(s): Celestron Omni XLT 102mm (4") f/9.8 refractor w/ upgraded GSO focuser and RACI finder + QHY MiniGuideScope
Mount: Computerized (OnStep) CG-4 | Eyepieces: 25mm, 14mm, 10mm, Omni 2x barlow, GSO 3x barlow
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The 80mm Daystar is capable of viewing the night skies as well as operating with the Quark.
It also comes with a 2" focuser that looks to be much better than the Meade offering.
https://agenaastro.com/daystar-80-mm-re ... ilter.html
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
salehram
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by salehram »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:32 pm The 80mm Daystar is capable of viewing the night skies as well as operating with the Quark.
It also comes with a 2" focuser that looks to be much better than the Meade offering.
Yea but I dont get the extra EPs and the AZ mmount to have more uses for it with the family as well..
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

salehram wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:32 pm The 80mm Daystar is capable of viewing the night skies as well as operating with the Quark.
Yea but I dont get the extra EPs and the AZ mmount to have more uses for it with the family as well..
It depends on whether you are shopping for gadgets or good images and what your budget is. The 80mm Daystar is usable for night observation and will outperform the Meade.

I've bought commercial grade refractors and they often require tweaking the collimation or objective spacing to get the optics right. Are you comfortable with that?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The mount is reasonable though so that is an advantage, the eyepieces though are of poor quality and will need to be replaced sooner than later.
Plossl would be a good low cost eyepiece to look at.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:53 pm The mount is reasonable though so that is an advantage, the eyepieces though are of poor quality and will need to be replaced sooner than later.
Plossl would be a good low cost eyepiece to look at.
Agreed on the eyepieces. They are pretty poor matches with that scope. Also agreed on the mount. The telescope optics might be OK too. They are the ubiquitous 80mm f5 optic set from Synta that Meade, Celestron, Orion and others sell. My example is the only commercial grade optics that didn't need tweaking, BTW, so with some luck and a different set of eyepieces....
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Offhand does anyone know how much the Quark weights? I cannot find it.
Gabrielle
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 pm Offhand does anyone know how much the Quark weights? I cannot find it.
Even reviews don't report it. I'm taking it to be heavy. Greater than a Delos 6mm so I'd guess 0.5-1.0 kg. The only hint I found that this is true comes from this review: http://astronomynow.com/reviews/daystar ... index.html
A 1.25-inch diagonal could go either side, but the arrangement would be more stable if you placed the diagonal after the Quark. This might necessitate putting a draw-tube extension on a telescope with ample back-focus, as the Barlow in the Quark is telecentric, meaning it requires to be at a certain distance from the objective.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is good reading nFA!
This- Use of a diagonal needs a bit of consideration. A two-inch diagonal can only go between the telescope and the Quark. A 1.25-inch diagonal could go either side, but the arrangement would be more stable if you placed the diagonal after the Quark. This might necessitate putting a draw-tube extension on a telescope with ample back-focus, as the Barlow in the Quark is telecentric, meaning it requires to be at a certain distance from the objective. On a telescope with limited back-focus, a 1.25-inch diagonal placed after the Quark might be the only diagonal viewing option.
is something I have never heard anyone mention before.

I am just curious if the Meade with Quark will be over capacity for the mount.
I imagine re-greasing and snugging of fasteners will be required.
Gabrielle
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 pm That is good reading nFA!
This- Use of a diagonal needs a bit of consideration. A two-inch diagonal can only go between the telescope and the Quark. A 1.25-inch diagonal could go either side, but the arrangement would be more stable if you placed the diagonal after the Quark. This might necessitate putting a draw-tube extension on a telescope with ample back-focus, as the Barlow in the Quark is telecentric, meaning it requires to be at a certain distance from the objective. On a telescope with limited back-focus, a 1.25-inch diagonal placed after the Quark might be the only diagonal viewing option.
is something I have never heard anyone mention before.
It's the most informative review I've found to date.
salehram
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by salehram »

Well that got more complicated now :lol: .. I am inclining to go good optics with good mount but that is out of budget.

Still looking for something simple and good at the same time and I can find some skywatcher stuff and William optics. The william optics option is just the OTA but that is still a high one. i still have my CG4 mount but I would love to have a simple az mount for family use as well... I guess more research time is needed...
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I would look at a simple photo tripod with a pan head, you could probably find one for a reasonable price used.

The Meade 80mm on the CG-4 would be a stable option though with the possible weak point being the focuser.
That can likely be tweaked enough for occasional use until you decide you wish to replace it.
Gabrielle
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

salehram wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 pm Well that got more complicated now :lol: .. I am inclining to go good optics with good mount but that is out of budget.

Still looking for something simple and good at the same time and I can find some skywatcher stuff and William optics. The william optics option is just the OTA but that is still a high one. i still have my CG4 mount but I would love to have a simple az mount for family use as well... I guess more research time is needed...
A simple achromat is all that is required for solar, an ED or apochromatic will give you no better view for the extra cost.
Gabrielle
salehram
Earth Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by salehram »

Does anyone have a feedback about Sky watcher star travel 80st?
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startr ... 0-az3.html

I read once about it but I lost the link to the review/article
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

salehram wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm Does anyone have a feedback about Sky watcher star travel 80st?
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startr ... 0-az3.html

I read once about it but I lost the link to the review/article
Optically it's a better package than the Meade since it comes with Plossl eyepieces, not MAs. MAs are really Kellners and dubious at f5. Maybe OK at f6.

Optically better than the Meade as a total package. Maybe not as good as the Daystar 80. Both are good choices depending on price and add ons. You'd still want your CG4 for observing the Sun with the Skywatcher.
Last edited by notFritzArgelander on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:41 pmMAs are really Kellners and dubious at f5. Maybe OK at f6.

Pretend Kellner perhaps? :)
MA have three good uses, dust plugs, cushioning under heavy mallets strikes or used in batting practice.
Gabrielle