Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Been thinking about a Quark

Post by Lowjiber »

Congratulations! You're now on the way further down the rabbit hole.:lol:
Bikerdib wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm --- Not sure yet if I'll be selling the wedge or not, but most likely will.
Keep the wedge. White light is fun. I like to do it.:)

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by Bikerdib »

John, I know it's not optimal but how does the ASI120MM work for use with a quark? If you have tried it that is.

Ya' white light is fun, if you like looking at a cue ball.... at least for the last couple of years.
Dennis ~ 45 years of astronomy and not giving up anytime soon
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Dennis, I have a ASI120MM-S (USB 3.0) that I've used on my Lunt 60. However, I don't recall using it on the Quark. I see no reason why it wouldn't work on the Quark, other than the chip is smaller.:)
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Altocumulus wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm When talking about Quarks - are you referring to the Daystar QUARK Hydrogen Alpha Solar Eyepiece? Described on UK sites as a "new" style? If so, won't previously owned versions be older models?

It's this one I was looking at, though there's another Quark-C....
"This new, All-In-One design marries high quality components of a telecentric barlow, adapters, snouts and Daystar hydrogen alpha filter into one simple assembly."
There are two versions. The original version did not contain the 4.2x Barlow, and required an f/30 telescope, or additional equipment to achieve f/30 (I believe). The "new" version, although it's been available for several years now, has the 4.2x Barlow lens built in.

Although caution is advised when purchasing a used Quark, I just don't think you're going to find many available.

[EDIT} Of course, Bikerdib just did! :lol: Good for him!

If you do, you have to ask a lot of questions to determine its usability for you.

My strong advice is to call Daystar and have a discussion with them and they will help you determine exactly what you need to purchase to achieve what you're trying for. I did this with Daystar, and Also Tele Vue, prior to purchasing my TV-85. These folks *want* you to call them up and they provide a boatload of help over the phone.

Good luck!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

I actually do have one question. I have the ES 80mm and the Clestron XLT 102mm (and of course the 152mm but doubt I'll use it with the quark), the ES falls within the recommended f ratio but the 102mm is f9.8. Is the only drawback of the longer FL just going to limit the FOV or is there another consideration?
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C

Post by smp »

Bikerdib wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:56 pm I actually do have one question. I have the ES 80mm and the Clestron XLT 102mm (and of course the 152mm but doubt I'll use it with the quark), the ES falls within the recommended f ratio but the 102mm is f9.8. Is the only drawback of the longer FL just going to limit the FOV or is there another consideration?
Now you're starting to get beyond what I can help with. I know that a scope at f/9.8 plus the 4.2x Barlow within the Quark will produce a system at f/41.16 (just multiply 9.8 x 4.2). I recall from reading stuff from folks who seem to know about these things that there is such little difference between parallel light and an f/30 cone of light coming out of the eyepiece, that there will be uniform illumination across the entire image. Daystar always seems to indicate this is the case for f/30-ish systems. I don't know how much slop there is in f/30-ish. Daystar said my TV-85 was an excellent choice (f/7 x 4.2 = f/29.4, certainly f/30-ish). I'm not certain what the un-even-ness of illumination across the image would be at f/41. This is why I suggest that you call Daystar.

I've seen plenty of folks say they are using 102mm scopes, but I never saw (or paid attention) to the f-ratio of those scopes. I also don't know if one is performing imaging (as is the case with those folks I see using 102mm systems) then you just don't worry about it because all can be taken care of in the image post-processing. I really think that Daystar can help you out with this one. Unless anyone else here can chime in? What aperture and f-ratio are the imagers using in their Quark systems here?

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Bikerdib wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:56 pm I actually do have one question. I have the ES 80mm and the Clestron XLT 102mm (and of course the 152mm but doubt I'll use it with the quark), the ES falls within the recommended f ratio but the 102mm is f9.8. Is the only drawback of the longer FL just going to limit the FOV or is there another consideration?
I use three scopes when working with the Quark...

Williams Optics Z61 f/5.9: This little bugger gives me the FOV that encompasses the full-disk and proms, much akin to my Lunt 60.

SkyWatcher 80mm f/7.5: This is my "work horse" scope, giving me slightly less that a quarter of the disk/proms. It's really around the "sweet spot" with the Quark, allowing decent shots even when the atmosphere is not fully cooperating.:) I think Gordon uses an f/8 scope to provide similar performance.

SkyWatcher 100mm f/9: If conditions are good, this puppy will "hurt you bad".:lol: The FOV is obviously limited, but the return on proms and sunspots make it very nice when you want to get up-close-and-personal with a particular feature.:)

About a year ago, we had a hedge row on the east limb that was jumping all over the place, almost minute-by-minute. Atmospheric conditions were perfect, so I decided to do a little "test" of the 80 & 100mm scopes. This is hardly scientific, but will give one the general idea...

Here's a cropped shot with the 100mm f/9...
100mm.jpg
Here's the same hedge row one hour later with the 80mm f/75...
80mm.jpg
The altitude of each is the same in that I shot the first at 1130hrs and the second at 1230hrs, and each was cropped to the same size for posting on the web (Which I never did.:lol:). Admittedly, the target had changed somewhat, but I'll let the viewer decide which is better.:)

My bottom line is that something around f/7.5 will be a scope that will serve you well all the time. However, if you want to kick it up a notch an f/9 (ish) rig will get you there with slightly better detail when the atmosphere allows.

Just sayin'.:)

Clear Skies
Last edited by Lowjiber on Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Thanks John. That is the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like most times I'll be using the 80mm because my local seeing is seldom above 3 out of 5. I do have the full line of Tele Vue plossels so I'm set as far as eyepieces.

My 152mm triplet is f/8 but I'm just a little concerned about the heat that will be generated inside the rig with that much aperture. Maybe sometimes in the future I can get a objective end ERF for it.

Very nice captures BTW.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Bikerdib wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm Thanks John. That is the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like most times I'll be using the 80mm because my local seeing is seldom above 3 out of 5. I do have the full line of Tele Vue plossels so I'm set as far as eyepieces.

My 152mm triplet is f/8 but I'm just a little concerned about the heat that will be generated inside the rig with that much aperture. Maybe sometimes in the future I can get a objective end ERF for it.

Very nice captures BTW.
Shooting the sun is unlike DSO astrophotography in that "light" is not a problem.:lol: I suggest foregoing the expense of an ERF for use with the Quark with your 152mm.

Here's a cropped shot with the Z-61 & Quark...
Z-61.jpg

Post by smp »

Lowjiber wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm I suggest foregoing the expense of an ERF for use with the Quark with your 152mm.
I agree. At first, I would start off with only the UV/IR cut filter in front of your diagonal. Remember that your refractor aimed at the Sun will present very little of itself for any heating, and the Sun's energy will be cut by that filter prior to entering the diagonal. Very little left to heat up. The stories that I've seen posted seem to claim the same - don't worry about the ERF unless you're going larger than 150mm aperture (and 2mm larger doesn't seem to count as larger than 150mm... :lol:).

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

I had read some discussion previously (maybe on CN) concerning the fact that the UV/IR cut filter in front of the diagonal causes heating of the OTA because instead of being rejected before entering, it enters and is then reflected back through the OTA, causing additional heating. Maybe that was just nit picking?

I certainly wasn't planning on jumping on a front mounted ERF anytime soon.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Personal experience has taught me that it is better to use a font mounted ERF for any HA filters .
Bouncing the energy at the diagonal will heat up the tube and can cause air currents that will mess with imaging .
Without an external ERF if you remove your Quark with the scope still pointed at the sun you will have no problem starting fires at the focal point .
Always be aware of the energy you are dealing with , especially when using scopes without a front ERF .
Sorry to barge in here , just wanted to add my 2c worth from a safety point of view
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8

Post by smp »

Solsearcher wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:10 pm Personal experience has taught me that it is better to use a font mounted ERF for any HA filters .
Bouncing the energy at the diagonal will heat up the tube and can cause air currents that will mess with imaging .
Without an external ERF if you remove your Quark with the scope still pointed at the sun you will have no problem starting fires at the focal point .
Always be aware of the energy you are dealing with , especially when using scopes without a front ERF .
Sorry to barge in here , just wanted to add my 2c worth from a safety point of view
As a Solar observer with "only" an 85mm aperture, I am only repeating some information that others have posted (elsewhere) about their experiences.

With my "small" aperture, I have had several hour viewing sessions with the scope aimed at the Sun from mid-morning until mid-afternoon, during family events. Since I was not constantly viewing, I cannot say if there were any tube currents that bothered me, however, I was consistently checking the scope and its components by feel to determine if anything was heating up. Nothing at all was obvious to me. This experience has been reported elsewhere by folks with larger apertures than mine. I am just repeating what I've heard, in that respect.

I agree strongly about your attitude of SAFETY FIRST. When I set up, I have my objective covered with a white light solar filter for alignment and right up to the point that I am ready to take my first look through the eyepiece with the Quark. For teardown, the first thing that I do is screw in the objective cover. For Solar viewing, one must be vigilant about everything going on and what steps in what order are appropriate.

No problem at all with you "barging in"! Thanks very much for your insights and experiences.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

I received an answer back from Daystar. For the 80mm, they say no ERF is needed, for my 102mm they say at minimum a UV/IR cut filter, for the 152mm they say I should always use a front mounted ERF.

As to the sutabiliy of the f/9.8 102mm, they say the image will be darker than optimum and I may not see all surface detaol.

So there we have it friends.
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

My Quark finally arrived today after its vacation in Hawaii. And believe it or not, after tomorrow it is supposed to be clear!!

Now I just have to decide to put myself out there under the sun. Temps are predicted to be in the low to to mid 90s with heat index numbers of 100° or higher.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good luck, I hope it works well for you :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:36 pm Good luck, I hope it works well for you :)
Thank you. Have you made up your mind on what solar set up you are going to get?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have not decided if it is going to be the Coronado SM III or the Lunt yet.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:53 am I have not decided if it is going to be the Coronado SM III or the Lunt yet.
Can you 'find' a way to trial both? Given the price it'll be a "sensible" way to go. :twocents:
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have used a SM II double stack before but I do not know anybody with a Lunt unfortunately.