Been thinking about a Quark

Discuss solar related topics.
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Been thinking about a Quark

Post by Bikerdib »

As the title says, I'm considering investing in a Quark. From what I see you choose either a chromosphere or prominence version. That seems to be the one drawback of the Quark instead of a dedicated solar scope, you have to choose to view surface features or provenance features. If you want to see both you have to buy both, $$$$

Is my thinking correct? It seems that most people choose the chromosphere version. Will this version show any provenance at all?

Any and all advice is welcome.
Dennis ~ 45 years of astronomy and not giving up anytime soon
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Don Quixote

Re: Been thinking about a Quark

Post by Don Quixote »

I have also been looking onto this over the last year. I haven't done it yet, but I recieved a great deal of help from John, "Lowjiber". Hopefully he will chime in here.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Quark ? , sounds like an up-market Duck. :lol: Seriously though it is possible to see the surface and also proms with the Chromosphere model with a bit of tweaking.
Keith
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I've been using a Quark-Chromosphere for a couple of years. I only use it for imaging, having only "looked" through it once when I first got it... just to make sure the big parts were there.:lol:

Most have seen my images, but there are a few representative images in my album here:
app.php/gallery/album/12

There have not been many items of interest on the surface for a couple of years, and I just noticed that there are no surface features in the above album. So, here's one from last year...
APRIL 23rd 2018 Monthly Winner.jpg
Those images are nothing special, but reflect the performance of the Quark-Chromosphere.

I haven't had my Lunt out of its box for a couple of years.:)

If you buy one, you'll find that the best solar imager in the world, Alexandra Hart, has done considerable research on the Quark. Here's one of her articles about the Quark-Chromosphere dial settings, written when the Quarks first arrived on the scene in 2015...
https://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/12257.html

Hope this helps some.:)

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

There's no downside to purchasing the Quark Chromosphere. It shows the Sun's prominences and the surface features just fine.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Bikerdib wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:01 am As the title says, I'm considering investing in a Quark. From what I see you choose either a chromosphere or prominence version. That seems to be the one drawback of the Quark instead of a dedicated solar scope, you have to choose to view surface features or provenance features. If you want to see both you have to buy both, $$$$

Is my thinking correct? It seems that most people choose the chromosphere version. Will this version show any provenance at all?

Any and all advice is welcome.
Me too, for the Quark-C (yes it can see both features), but I've since been dissuaded. Perhaps not suitable for UK skies.....
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Thanks guys, that's what I needed. So, if you can see both with the "C" model, is the "P" just more specialized for more detail in the proms?

Geoff, what is the downside that you have been told? This is a fairly large investment for such a specialized piece of equipment.

Also, I've always stacked my IR/UV and continuum filter AFTER the wedge but see that it is recommended to put the IR/UV BEFORE the quark?
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

BTW, nice detail you captured John.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Bikerdib wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:19 pm ...
Also, I've always stacked my IR/UV and continuum filter AFTER the wedge but see that it is recommended to put the IR/UV BEFORE the quark?
DayStar, the maker of Quarks, specifically states that the IR/UV-cut filter must be in front of the Quark.

I use three different scopes with the Quark and have an IR/UV-cut filter screwed into the front of the diagonal on each.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C

Post by smp »

Altocumulus wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm Me too, for the Quark-C (yes it can see both features), but I've since been dissuaded. Perhaps not suitable for UK skies.....
What's the matter with UK skies? They're really no different than us over here in rainy and dreary New England, are they?

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

There are UK skies and then there are Scottish skies :lol:
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

smp wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 pm
Altocumulus wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm Me too, for the Quark-C (yes it can see both features), but I've since been dissuaded. Perhaps not suitable for UK skies.....
What's the matter with UK skies? They're really no different than us over here in rainy and dreary New England, are they?

smp
Probably not, until one smells the whisky fumes - then anything goes.....
Just call me Geoff....

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Tillibobs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:36 pm There are UK skies and then there are Scottish skies :lol:
Oi! Behave ..... :lol:
Just call me Geoff....

Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

OK, so with the scopes I already have all I would need is the quark "C" since I already have a UV/IR cut filter? That is unless I decide to try and take some pics, then I'd also be looking for a mono camera. I see the quark is recommended to run off 5 volts so a USB converter plugged into one of my 12 volt power supply should be OK, correct?
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Oh, and one more question for those that own or have owned a quark; what about durability/life span? The PST was OK but since I live in a VERY humid area I was concerned about the rust issue.

Post by smp »

Bikerdib wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:46 pm OK, so with the scopes I already have all I would need is the quark "C" since I already have a UV/IR cut filter? That is unless I decide to try and take some pics, then I'd also be looking for a mono camera. I see the quark is recommended to run off 5 volts so a USB converter plugged into one of my 12 volt power supply should be OK, correct?
Yes (UV/IR filter in front of the diagonal), yes and yes.
Bikerdib wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 pm Oh, and one more question for those that own or have owned a quark; what about durability/life span? The PST was OK but since I live in a VERY humid area I was concerned about the rust issue.
No overt concerns that I know of. No rust issue with the Quark. One of the best Solar Astro-photographers that I know (online) resides in Florida with his Quark. I don’t think you can get more humidity than there.

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

I've posted a wanted ad on CN and AM. I don't hold much hope, these things don't appear very often on the used market. I don't know if it is because people hold on to them or maybe it is such a specialized piece of equipment there just are not that many around. Maybe a little of both? Wish me luck!

Post by smp »

Bikerdib wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:47 am I've posted a wanted ad on CN and AM...
Another thing that you might consider is if you have, or might be able to obtain, a significant discount coupon for one of the major vendors. If, for example, you were holding onto a 20% discount coupon for B&H Photo or Highpoint Scientific, the Quark would be a good item to use it on.

Another "last thought" - call Daystar and discuss your idea with them. They are absolutely excellent on the phone, and in my experience, will take all the time that you need to discuss, answer questions, and perhaps give you a bit more guidance on how to achieve what you want. And, BTW, if you purchase your Quark through a vendor, and there is any issue or question, call Daystar, not the vendor. Daystar will give you direct support regardless of where you purchased your Quark.

Good luck!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

When talking about Quarks - are you referring to the Daystar QUARK Hydrogen Alpha Solar Eyepiece? Described on UK sites as a "new" style? If so, won't previously owned versions be older models?

It's this one I was looking at, though there's another Quark-C....
"This new, All-In-One design marries high quality components of a telecentric barlow, adapters, snouts and Daystar hydrogen alpha filter into one simple assembly."
Just call me Geoff....

Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Well surprise, someone responded to my ad on AM. I just sent him the payment. I got it for what previous used units go for so I'm happy. It is only one year old according to the seller.

Now if only the Sun cooperates and is more than just a cue ball in the sky...

Not sure yet if I'll be selling the wedge or not, but most likely will.