Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Down And Dirty Mercury Transit

Post by Juno16 »

Hi All,
Mostly cloudy skies here, but I managed a quick snap of the transit.

Nikon D3300 with 55-200mm at 200mm.

iso 100, 1/800 sec, f10 with Baader solar film.

Only a really quick processing in PE adobe raw.
DSC_0576.jpg
Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Down And Dirty Mercury Transit

Post by Altocumulus »

Nice one Jim.
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Altocumulus wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:24 pm Nice one Jim.
Thanks Geoff. I was surprised that Mercury could be spotted even through a cloud layer.

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

I got a few glimpses, but the cloud was awkward for anything decent.
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Good show Jim; nice catch! Hope you manage to get some more. I will enjoy my snow (!) and continue to live voraciously through you all for the day... :lol:

Again, well done and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:23 pm Good show Jim; nice catch! Hope you manage to get some more. I will enjoy my snow (!) and continue to live voraciously through you all for the day... :lol:

Again, well done and all the best,
Thanks Mark! It was quick, I mean really quick!

Mostly cloudy at the time, just broke through for a brief window. Now we are completely clouded in.

Enjoy your snow! Man, I grew up in New England, but in the south, I haven't seen snow in many years.

Thanks again,
Jim
Jim

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Very nice capture, Jim...
Thank you for sharing your success!
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Don Quixote wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm Very nice capture, Jim...
Thanks Don!

I was kinda surprised that I could actually spot tiny Mercury with a quick (literally 3-4 shots) with the dslr. Maybe two minutes shooting and two minutes processing. Not like shooting DSO's!!!!!

The hardest part was finding the solar film and re-gluing the folded up foil to the cardboard disk that I had cut out for the eclipse a couple of years ago.

Jim
Jim

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Juno16 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Don Quixote wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm Very nice capture, Jim...
Thanks Don!

I was kinda surprised that I could actually spot tiny Mercury with a quick (literally 3-4 shots) with the dslr. Maybe two minutes shooting and two minutes processing. Not like shooting DSO's!!!!!

The hardest part was finding the solar film and re-gluing the folded up foil to the cardboard disk that I had cut out for the eclipse a couple of years ago.

Jim
Jim...you are...well...you are blessed !
I always enjoy your postings and I am very glad that you were able to witness this event.
I made plans of course. I had my rig arranged...same rig I viewed the eclipse in 17'. But darn it, the sky closed in and I, in place of the transit am now enjoying the first real snow of the year here in East Central Illinois.

I gave been checking the forum and catching the views, but when I saw your posting I had to drink a toast.

Thank you my friend for being there when I could not.
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Don Quixote wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm
Jim...you are...well...you are blessed !
I always enjoy your postings and I am very glad that you were able to witness this event.
I made plans of course. I had my rig arranged...same rig I viewed the eclipse in 17'. But darn it, the sky closed in and I, in place of the transit am now enjoying the first real snow of the year here in East Central Illinois.

I gave been checking the forum and catching the views, but when I saw your posting I had to drink a toast.

Thank you my friend for being there when I could not.
[/quote]

You are way too gracious Mark! I just got lucky enough to catch a piece of sky without too many clouds.

Some snow sounds really pretty.

Did a little playing around with the image.
48B509BF-1EBE-4F9D-B059-B339C051A161.jpeg
Jim
Jim

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice catch Jim!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257