NOVEMBER Solarheads Chat Group.

Discuss solar related topics.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

NOVEMBER Solarheads Chat Group.

Post by Tillibobs »

It's Bonfire night over on this side of the pond and nobody has started this month's chat group so I thought I'd jump in and get you all started.
Hope you don't mind Fraz.

Keith
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: NOVEMBER Solarheads Chat Group.

Post by Lowjiber »

Thanks Keith. I've got an unwanted mother-in-law and a nice visitor from Alaska. The visitor is an astronomer.:)
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

I didn't see this and set one up. If someone can delete mine I would be grateful. I always said that anyone could keep the fire burning. My bad for not looking first.

Edit - deleted as requested.
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Highburymark
Earth Ambassador

Post by Highburymark »

Hi all - Mark from London here. I’m 57, with a background in journalism and communications. Very keen solar observer - had a couple of Lunts and a Quark in the past, and now use double stacked 70mm Solarscope filters with a TV85. Also love white light - when seeing allows. Visual only so far, but planning to dip a first toe into imaging in the not too distant future.
Tak TSA-120
Tak Epsilon 130d + PVS14 night vision
TV85 + Solarscope SF70DS solar filters
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Welcome to the group (yet another) Mark. Lol.

Say what you think, it is pretty hard to offend but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

If you check back on our previous mnonthly threads there is one or two recently with bios in there. We have a lot of admin in here though and they are kind of hot on the rules. (or maybe that is just for me) :Pirate:

:text-welcomewave:
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Welcome Mark. Anything you want to know about Solar Imaging just ask, someone's bound to know.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I've been without Broadband for 4 days ( BT outages in my area was 67% ) so I've some catching up to do.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

May I make a suggestion ?
Whilst posting images of old sol in various other sections of the forum could we also post them here ? I'm sure it's not a difficult task and it used to be the norm at one time.
Thanks Keith.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Highburymark wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:14 pm Hi all - Mark from London here. I’m 57, with a background in journalism and communications. Very keen solar observer - had a couple of Lunts and a Quark in the past, and now use double stacked 70mm Solarscope filters with a TV85. Also love white light - when seeing allows. Visual only so far, but planning to dip a first toe into imaging in the not too distant future.
Glad to have you here, Mark... Welcome aboard. Several of us have been "together" a long time. There is a lot of talent here and everybody shares... The good, bad, and ugly. LOL

At f/7, that TV85 will work quite well with your Quark when you dip your toe into imaging.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Mark
If you want to dip your toe you can't go wrong with a ZWO ASI174mm

to make Kieth happy here are a couple images from this week
Proms NE limb 20211109 Earth.jpg
AR2895 BW 20211109.jpg
CaK 20211109 color.jpg
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Thanks for posting your images here , it saves me hunting for images when I don't feel up to it.
My personal news is that I'm nearing the second course of Chemotherapy ( 24 weeks per course ) had my 11th treatment yesterday so only one more then a rest for 3 months to recover then start another 24 weeks course.
It's not easy and takes a fair bit out of you but i don't fancy the alternative.
Keith.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Keith - prayers are with you!

I was lucky my cancer, on my leg, was handled about 10 years ago with just surgery.
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Highburymark
Earth Ambassador

Post by Highburymark »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I’ve actually bought an ASI1600mm to use with the Solarscope filters and TV85, though it will probably be early spring next year before I get to try it out. Sun’s too low now for my London location unfortunately. As a technological Luddite I expect it will be a slow learning process, but looking forward to it.
The Quark was disappointing - very nice on proms but poor surface detail - so I sold it, obviously making sure the buyer knew its performance limitations.
Tak TSA-120
Tak Epsilon 130d + PVS14 night vision
TV85 + Solarscope SF70DS solar filters
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

every Quark is different, some do good proms some do good surface. On mine I have to turn it all the way to +5 to get on band for surface, normally run it at +4 to get both

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Lowjiber wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:29 pm Thanks Keith. I've got an unwanted mother-in-law and a nice visitor from Alaska. The visitor is an astronomer.:)
Too funny John, one extreme to the other! :lol: Hope you're feeling better and you didn't get what your neighbor did...
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

I can honestly say the solar season has been the worst for me in NE Scotland - days of either cloud with rain optional. I believe the best days at home coincided with our holiday across in the Western Isles, sans 'scope. Still, there's always 2022. In the meantime I might dip my toe into the dark side with my 180 mak and WO 120 now side by side on the saddle waiting for an opportunity to check the polar alignment. Honestly this night stuff can't be as bad as the day stuff has been - can it!?

Am I allowed to mention the dark side on the solarheads group :D
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

I share your pain Geoff,it's been similar in West Yorkshire. Unfortunately I can't join you on the dark side due to light polution. I can see the Moon ona clear night but not one star with the naked eye.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Keith
At least I can see 5-6 stars at night when it is clear! But at the Seagrave Observatory in Rhode Island we have been trying to run public nights but every single weekend has been overcast and/or raining. Tonight we were hoping to do observe the moon but it is supposed to rain. I just checked the security cameras and it was snowing, just a squall so no measurable snow on the ground but the season is coming.
I has been 32 F (0C) here each morning and warming up during the day to about 40-50F I have been bringing my Quark in at night as it is warm when I plug it in and I would think it stresses it less.

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro