Discuss solar related topics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

the levitation of prominences

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: the levitation of prominences

Post by Lowjiber »

Pretty cool nFA.

Solarheads call that a lift-off. While it almost always is present, we can't always capture them because we are trying to shoot a "ball"... If the prom is not directly on the limb in our "flat" view, the "lift" is not really visible in our two-dimension view of the ball.

(I hope that made sense. LOL)

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Lowjiber wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 pm Pretty cool nFA.

Solarheads call that a lift-off. While it almost always is present, we can't always capture them because we are trying to shoot a "ball"... If the prom is not directly on the limb in our "flat" view, the "lift" is not really visible in our two-dimension view of the ball.

(I hope that made sense. LOL)

Clear Skies
Perfectly good sense to me.
I hope that the cause of the fast oscillations during the lift was clear. The magnetic fields act directly on the charged particles. The charges then drag the neutral particles along through collisions. It's analogous to the squeak of chalk on a blackboard. (I date myself. ;) ) Lots of higher frequency stick-start.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

We used to have some members who knew how to do time lapses of proms and stitch them together, haven't seen any lately though.
keith.