Discuss solar related topics.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Tried Night time Astronomy, what a disaster

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I am totally frustrated with night time astronomy first off this evening when I went out around 7:30 I could still see Altair but it was about to go behind the trees,
Deneb and the northern cross we're already behind my tree straight overhead looking around the sky I could not visually see another star at all even at 8:30 tonigh
t I still cannot see any stars visually however with averted vision I think I saw Enif and Schaet but I can barely see them with averted vision they every so often would seem to appear,
couldn't really see Saturn if you looked right at it and kind of disappeared severe leg pollution, and then I had nothing but trouble with the scope trying to align it
and everything was dripping with dew within the first 15 minutes, for now I'm giving up a night time astronomy I'll stick to solar
I mean I'm not going to give up completely but I'm just so frustrated

Also all of a sudden my scope went the wrong way trying to do a 360 in RA and hit the mount and then a little later as I was trying to do plate solving with the Star Sense it ran away, I was pushing the RA button and let it go and it kept going! I had to shut off the mount to stop it!

IT is trying to tell me to stick to solar!! And withing 15 minutes everything was dripping with moisture, you could feel and smell the water in the air. AND did I mention that even with my 50 degrees of sky coverage between the trees I couldn't see a single star?
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Tried Night time Astronomy, what a disaster

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Sorry to hear of the troubles. When I lived out east a battery powered hair drier was indispensable.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

That is a good idea. I think based on the weather radio there was high fog, I normally have a Mag 2.5 visual limit, but Enif at 2.4 was not visible

Will try again
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

The moisture in the air over here in Western Mass was bad last night - I took the dog out at about 9pm ish, and I could see the moisture in the flashlight, and the fog settling down in the street lights. That's not normal.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Jeff

It appears to be a New England phenomenon last night and today. The screens in the windows that were open overnight are saturated with water this morning and the fog is very heavy. I find that early Fall is the worst time of year dew-wise to set up for nighttime AP around here. My session last week was cut short because the guide scope dewed up so much it couldn't find a star to track.

It will get better after all the summer moisture gets wrung out of the air - I hope!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:42 pm I normally have a Mag 2.5 visual limit, but Enif at 2.4 was not visible
Sounds like a good night to watch a SLOOH livestream. :) Did you check a wildfire smoke map? I've had nights when it looked great but Kochab and Pherkad weren't naked eye visible in the Little Dipper.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

pakarinen wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:35 pm
Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:42 pm I normally have a Mag 2.5 visual limit, but Enif at 2.4 was not visible
Sounds like a good night to watch a SLOOH livestream. :) Did you check a wildfire smoke map? I've had nights when it looked great but Kochab and Pherkad weren't naked eye visible in the Little Dipper.
What is the little dipper? On a normal night I can see the 3 handle stars in the big dipper but haven't seen the little dipper or Polaris naked eye in years from my yard as it is over the mall

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

It is okay Jeff. You are just outside your comfort zone!

I know that it is really challenging trying something different. Even upgrading image acquisition software can be challenging.

You have all of the basics and will work it all out. After you do, you will really enjoy imaging DSO's. Even from a high lp environment, it is very challenging and rewarding.

Hang in there!!!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Jeff, I feel your pain. :) Living in the supernova called Las Vegas, I've completely given up doing any night-time photography at home... A trip to the dark desert works. When I just can't stand it, I pull out the big Dob. However, I don't have the humidity that you experience.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

My light pollution has been getting worse over the years. My neighbor to the west installed a motion detector light that goes off every time I observe. Quite maddening and they refuse, even after my entreaties, to keep the thing off in the evenings. I guess they are afraid that someone is going to steal the catalytic converter from their Lexus, which has become a problem up in the hills. Towel over the head trick....kind of works...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

+1 on security lights, my neighbor has the same and every time a car drives by it goes on and I can read my star charts without a red light. At least the street light that is 100 feet away and shines right into my patio observatory is burned out, I am not reporting it!

I think worse than the light is the humidity! we have fog overnight every night this week. The cars and the chair outside are soaked by late evening

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro