SOLARHEADS - OCTOBER Chat Group

Discuss solar related topics.
FRAZ Scotland
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

SOLARHEADS - OCTOBER Chat Group

Post by FRAZ »

Please feel free to discuss beyond our solar boundaries. Welcome to new faces who have joined us too.

I
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.

Spending obscene amounts of money building a big fracking solar telescope.
(Trying my best not to curse or swear :) )
FRAZ Scotland
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SOLARHEADS - OCTOBER Chat Group

Post by FRAZ »

Doublestacking a CAK takes a knowledge of double stacking standard setups accompanied with some spacing and equipment knowledge.

If you can't buy it off shelf then it is probably beyond our capabilities, a single stack mod is really difficult. If you have a single stack system that can take a double stack cak then go for it.

Personally I think you are peeing in the wind if you are looking for any value on return.

Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

With limited imaging due clouds and wind here is a compilation from the 5th using my Tak 76 ,174MM, Combo Quark and either 2X or 4X Telecentrics.

Used my 'new' Photoshop Skills :) to black out the Suns surface showing off the Proms.

Didn't colourise the Sunspots as thought it looked better as a group.
Attachments
5th October 2021 Solar Activity in Ha
5th October 2021 Solar Activity in Ha
FRAZ Scotland
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Very nice presentation Cliff.

We find that activity goes right down over the next 3 or 4 months and many of our favourites and retries come out.

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Cliff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:33 am With limited imaging due clouds and wind here is a compilation from the 5th using my Tak 76 ,174MM, Combo Quark and either 2X or 4X Telecentrics.

Used my 'new' Photoshop Skills :) to black out the Suns surface showing off the Proms.

Didn't colourise the Sunspots as thought it looked better as a group.
Very nicely done, Cliff. I agree, many (most?) times small details are lost when colorizing sunspots.

Good job and nice presentation.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Hey guys! I'm still recovering from the bout with pneumonia. I got out of the hospital a week ago and have been on a very high dose of oral anti-bionics since. I'll be back in action soon... Can't wait.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Thanks for the positive comments and great to see John is bouncing back .
I just got a used 5x power mate to see if it’s better with the Combo quark than a 4x depends on seeing I guess.
Thinking of getting a 80mm DS Lunt but way expensive ?
Would I be better off with say a 100 or 120mm acromat with the quark?
Cliff

Scopes Meade LT6 6" ACF SCT, Tak 76DS , Tak 106ED, Vixen VMC200L
Mounts Vixen SXD2
Camera ZWO533MC, ZWO178mc, ZWO174mm, ZWO120mm-s, QHY163C, QHY163M
Access Combo Quark, ES2X, 4X PM, 5X PM
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Cliff, let me ramble a bit...

I always think in terms of focal ratio when shooting. I have pretty good seeing much of the time here in the desert... Low humidity (single digits) most of the time and a jet stream that is usually north of my location. On a decent seeing day, a focal ratio in the low 30's works well... 80% of my shots are with an f/32 combination. On great seeing days, I'll jump it up to f/39.

I'm pretty sure Jeff has a Lunt 80 DS. He's the guy to ask if the bang-for-the-buck is worth it in the long run. From my perspective, ~$4500 (with the largest BF) is not worth it.

I'm a "frac-head" with about ten refractors. I've found that ED glass is all one needs to make decent solar images. Williams Optics and Skywatcher are two of my favorite ED glass brands. (Note: The SW's have horrible focusers, and I'll usually have the Moonlite guy build me a custom 2.5" crayford for 'em... ~$500.)

OBW: If you ever want to have a Moonlite built, don't waste time trying to figure it out on their website. Just send the owner, Ron Newman, and email at: Moonlite7@live.com. He is a great guy to work with and will cut thru the options and take care of you. I even once had him build a custom adapter for a scope that everyone told me was impossible.

Clear Skies
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Lowjiber wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:47 pm Hey guys! I'm still recovering from the bout with pneumonia. I got out of the hospital a week ago and have been on a very high dose of oral anti-bionics since. I'll be back in action soon... Can't wait.
good to hear , take care .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
FRAZ Scotland
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Tak glass is plenty good enough for solar work. From that you are chasing small margins.

The biggest bang for buck in my experience is in processing. The best way to challenge that theory and decide whether you should spend thousands of pounds is to share data and see what the Pixelheads can provide.

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

FRAZ wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:22 pm Tak glass is plenty good enough for solar work. From that you are chasing small margins.

The biggest bang for buck in my experience is in processing. The best way to challenge that theory and decide whether you should spend thousands of pounds is to share data and see what the Pixelheads can provide.
FRAZ, I totally agree that chasing small margins is a long way from cost-effective.

If anyone wants some help with a file, I suggest posting your stacked TIFF file (or your unstacked AVI) to FRAZ's open DropBox for some help. I have a DropBox that I'll gladly grant access to as well... Just send me your email address in a PM and I'll open it for you.

Clear Skies
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Lowjiber wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:46 pm Cliff, let me ramble a bit...

I always think in terms of focal ratio when shooting. I have pretty good seeing much of the time here in the desert... Low humidity (single digits) most of the time and a jet stream that is usually north of my location. On a decent seeing day, a focal ratio in the low 30's works well... 80% of my shots are with an f/32 combination. On great seeing days, I'll jump it up to f/39.

Well John I think i have the opposite , can get high humidity and that Jetstream which I am much more aware of now is often overhead as well.
My other refractor is only F5 the 106ED so even a 5X power-mate only makes it F20. Not tried yet.

I'm pretty sure Jeff has a Lunt 80 DS. He's the guy to ask if the bang-for-the-buck is worth it in the long run. From my perspective, ~$4500 (with the largest BF) is not worth it.

They are even more expensive in Aus this one I am looking at used is more than double that in $A

I'm a "frac-head" with about ten refractors. I've found that ED glass is all one needs to make decent solar images. Williams Optics and Skywatcher are two of my favorite ED glass brands. (Note: The SW's have horrible focusers, and I'll usually have the Moonlite guy build me a custom 2.5" crayford for 'em... ~$500.)

I was thinking of may be a 120 , Skywatcher seem to cheap out in some areas , I had a Explore Scientific 80ED and it too had a so-so focuser. I have a moonlight on my little Meade 6"SCT works well.

OBW: If you ever want to have a Moonlite built, don't waste time trying to figure it out on their website. Just send the owner, Ron Newman, and email at: Moonlite7@live.com. He is a great guy to work with and will cut thru the options and take care of you. I even once had him build a custom adapter for a scope that everyone told me was impossible.

Never actually ordered direct from Moonlight as i tend to buy used. I have sent Ron a few questions and he's really quick with a response.

Clear Skies

Clear Skies (though they aren't here that 5X Powermate I got :) )
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

Went out to image the hedgerow prom again today. BOY is the air turbulent! I did the surface 6 times mostly 2,000 frames =and the last two at 5,000 frames, only got ONE that was acceptable, and sharp. Working on the prom now, I did 1,000 frames on it and so far only so so
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Seems old Sol is very active today , unable to image clouds and heavy wind ,34C here also . :sigh:

Was watching Tamitha Skov explaining the X1 class Flare event and G3 Magnetic Storm .

Has anyone captured anything today ? Lots of Sunspots as well

Cliff
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Heavy rain and clouds forecast here too.
Keith.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Nor'easter again tomorrow, 2 this week!
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Well cloudy again today but the hf and lower vhf Amateur Radio bands were hopping , I’m also a Ham🙂
So at least I can benefit some from the solar activity even if I can’t see it 😊
Cliff
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Are we having a " November Chat Group ?

Keith
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Where has the year gone?

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro