using a .5 reducer on a ZWO camera and Quark?

Discuss solar related topics.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

using a .5 reducer on a ZWO camera and Quark?

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

It was recommended on CN that if I am using an ASI174 with a Quark and a f/7 scope that I need to use a .5 reducer to bring down the focal ratio closer to the f/21 they say the 174 needs.

First off I have never had an issue with my imaging, although maybe I am not that good but I like what I get.

So I have a .5 reducer and after imaging today I screwed it on the front of the camera on the nosepiece, there is also a tilter on the camera. My estimation, didn't have a ruler with me, is that I was at 75mm back focus and all I got was a partial image that was about 50% vignetted. So I tried it without the tilter, closer to the back focus but still a severely vignetted image. In both cases I could focus it but it was just a "round ball" in the screen. I don't think you can put that on the Quark

Not sure if I needed for it to be closer, really can't do that with the standard nose and tilter, or further away from the sensor

Has anyone used a reducer? Personally I would rather just switch scopes or cameras to get more area on the sun
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: using a .5 reducer on a ZWO camera and Quark?

Post by Lowjiber »

I've never needed a reducer and use a 174 just like you. I've got enough "stuff" hanging in my light path already without trying to over-think more.

I use three different scopes with the Quark... f/5.9, f/7.5 & f/9. By the time I calculate the focal length with the 4.3x "barlow" in the Quark, I'm right at the limits recommended by DayStar... Good enough for me.:)

The simpler, the better.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C