Test of knob setting on Quark Chromosphere - Thoughts?

Discuss solar related topics.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Test of knob setting on Quark Chromosphere - Thoughts?

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I keep hearing about people using their Quark Chromospheres at -1, 0, or +1 and getting good results on the Chromosphere, it seems like a Quark should be on band when the temp knob is centered, at least I would think.

What I have found with mine is that when it is centered straight up, 0 or 12 o'clock, the proms are hard to see and the surface has minimal definition and contrast. When I set it at -3 I really can't see proms and the surface is not there really.

When I set it at +3 ( 3 o'clock) I get good Proms and Chromosphere, although maybe it is looking through it a bit, as +5 gives an even darker image and less of the photosphere - and I can't turn it past +5

Here are images from 3 different settings, -3, 0, and +3 I captured in Sharpcap with 16 bit mono and stacked in AS!3 these are the "raw" images of 50 of 500 stacked, no sharpening or any other processing.

What do people think?

I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Test of knob setting on Quark Chromosphere - Thoughts?

Post by AstroBee »

Looks to me like 3 o'clock for the prominences and somewhere around 12 or 1 o'clock for the surface is a good pick.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

Have you tried adjusting your exposure settings on the camera? That could make somewhat of a difference. Are you getting the same results visually?
If it looks okay visually with the adjustments, I'd say play around with the camera settings. What you see visually and what you see with the camera are
totally different beasts.
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Here's what I have found.

Each Quark is different, some seem to work with lower setting and others with higher settings. Also the ambient temperature seems to come into play, in the warmer times I use different settings than the cooler times. Also it seems that using different settings for Proms vs surface works. I wish there was an "easy" way to figure it out but if there is I sure haven't found it.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I never look visually, tough enough to see the laptop screen with my eyes and cataracts.

What I do is the following, on the ASI cameras there are no setting on the camera such as are on DSLR's

I warm the Quark up to between +3 and +4 and then I will set the gamma to 100 and crank the exposure and check for proms. when I find one to image I back the gamma off to 95 and adjust the exposure to get the best looking image, then do 500 frames, then I will play with the gamma backing it off a bit and do another capture after each change.
Next I drop the gamma to 1 and adjust the exposure to get the surface I want, I then do 1,000 - 2,000 frames and then will adjust the exposure a couple times and capture an avi at each change.

I have never had a problem getting both proms and the surface that I process separately and combine in Photoshop.

I just thought a test would interesting

check out my solar images on www.jeffpadell.com and www.solarhead.net
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Quarks are aptly named. Like their namesakes in the subatomic world, in seems that no two are alike (Gordon's point).

From a practical standpoint, it is difficult to compare notes... Jeff and I have compared settings several times over the years, and it is hard to draw parallel conclusions from each other's data. In his examples above, the +3 settings for both the prom and surface look great. In my case, there is no way that I could get those two results with an identical setting on my Quark... I would have to at least back the +3 down to around +1 to capture that prom detail that he shows in his example.

As Gordon pointed out above, ambient temperature plays an important part as well. I'm unsure of how the Quark actually functions internally. Here in the desert summertime temps are well above 100deg (F) every day. When I shift the wavelength with the "magic" knob, I really don't trust it... I give it a little more time. That may seem like voodoo, but my experience tells me otherwise. (That's the main reason I don't shoot in the summer months.)

Another factor that I keep in mind is that Quarks seem to have a limited lifespan... More voodoo?? I keep a watchful eye on mine. The moment it appears to have "issues", I'll pull-the-trigger and get a new one.

I know I've rambled a bit, but we all need to share our thoughts on that mystical red thing that we all love and hate at the same time.:)

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C