Discuss solar related topics.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SOLARHEADS - SEPTEMBER Chat Group

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I like the one from Daystar as it has a screw on each side and you can rock it back and forth and watch the screen as you do it and see when they are all or mostly gone. The ones with 3 screws or more take more work to adjust
Also what I do after adjusting and locking it down I wrap it with electricians tape to stop any light leaks
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am I often get the glow, not from the surface image but from the proms, I believe it is due to bleeding from the overexposed surface. Not sure how to get rid of it during the capture
I get rid of the glow in post processing in Photoshop using Levels. I will say though that there are times where I like some glow. It give some "atmosphere" to the image for me.
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

As far as introduction, I'm retired and working on my curmudgeon certification. Rough going as I moved to an area with few kids to yell at to get off my lawn.

I have two solar scopes (2!!) gathering dust in the back room. I know, I will hang my head in shame later today :)

Have to admit I have gotten away from doing much observing. I also have avoided any imaging as I just do not know if I have the patience. Maybe starting with solar imaging will ease me into it? I did get a Mallincam several years ago but only played around with it a bit. I'll keep following this thread in the background and maybe find that bucket of gumption I know is around here somewheres.

Any recommendations as to software to start out with?

Thanks
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

My Introduction
Hello fellow solarheads ! My name is Mike , some may remember me from the old solar group . I bought my first solar scope (SM 60) 15 years ago and started my solar journey . This is what I used to learn to image Back then our processing tools were limited to Registax and the first version of Photoshop . I learned the basic processing with these programs and will admit is still what I use today . The simple reason is that I became more interested in the "hardware" than the software . This was well before the all in one Quark so I soon discovered there were many options to consider when selecting Ha solar components . Things like internal or external etalons , tilt tuning and pressure tuning , heated solid etalons and blocking filter size are few considerations . Over the years I have been fortunate enough to be able to use all of these different types of systems and was able to determine what would suit my desires .
Starting with my SM 60 I soon discovered the challenge of spreading the sweet spot across the full field with out having any off band areas . At that time processing was more limited so the hardware solution was to spend the bucks and buy a second etalon , expensive but worth it in my opinion . Now I had the ability to create a nice evenly lit on band view for the camera . The next thing I discovered was the limitations of my 60mm aperture but large ap solar scopes are very expensive so I learned about the "PST Mod" and went that route . I built a few over the years and remember sending Fraz the adapter for his first mod a few years ago . The PST mod presents the same challenge of spreading the sweet spot that all internal tilt tuned scopes present and again the solution is double stack and even more expensive at 90mm . I watched the used astro market and after a couple of years I found a fellow selling a complete double stacked SM 90 , I believe I offered him $3500 for the external etalon and purchased it . So that was the route I took to my 90mm scope . This is my primary imaging scope , It is a 900mm skywatcher with a 90mm external etalon on the front and a 15mm blocking filter on the back , All consumer available components that anybody can purchase . The part I can't discuss in detail is the internal PST etalon that is used in this scope to double stack it . For me this was a less expensive way to a larger aperture double stacked scope .
Double stacking will present a few more challenges like a darker view for the camera not to mention the extra tuning parameters that come into play . Tuning 2 etalons to work in harmony can sometimes be fiddly but I do prefer manual tuning because it gives me direct control of what is presented to the camera .
Back when I started doing this the software and processing tools were limited so I corrected the issues I encountered with hardware . The part I like the best about solar imaging is being outside taking the captures , the part I like the least is the processing so I put most of my effort into tweaking my etalons and setting up the shot . If my sky is clear and steady and I have tuned my etalons correctly I can usually get captures that are easy to process . My processing methods are severly out of date and my skill level in that area is low at best so I rely on my captures a lot more than my processing skill . There is no magic formula to what I do , it is just good equipment and learning the limitations of my local sky . Here are a couple of examples where I hit the tuning correctly in better than average conditions , no processing magic , just good captures .
Sept 16 15 j4.jpg
June 17 16 j1m.jpg
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Well nothing since the 12th , cloudy, rainy and cold. The Sun has gone a little quiet too!

So these were also taken on the 12th, The one with white proms was an experiment in Photoshop.

Gear used Tak76DS, Combo Quark , 4X Powermate , QHY163M camera , two exposures stacked then combined in Photoshop.

If you are reading this John i did reduce the Prom image about to 94%. I think the match is better appreciate comments.

Cliff
Attachments
Prom also 12 September 2021
Prom also 12 September 2021
Sunspots 12 September 2021
Sunspots 12 September 2021
Prom also 12 September 2021 different processing
Prom also 12 September 2021 different processing
Cliff

Scopes Meade LT6 6" ACF SCT, Tak 76DS , Tak 106ED, Vixen VMC200L
Mounts Vixen SXD2
Camera ZWO533MC, ZWO178mc, ZWO174mm, ZWO120mm-s, QHY163C, QHY163M
Access Combo Quark, ES2X, 4X PM, 5X PM
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:06 pm I like the one from Daystar as it has a screw on each side and you can rock it back and forth and watch the screen as you do it and see when they are all or mostly gone. The ones with 3 screws or more take more work to adjust
Also what I do after adjusting and locking it down I wrap it with electricians tape to stop any light leaks
Good thinking Ben , not sure I can get that one locally , the other is indeed a three screws well six push pull design.
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Hey Cliff, for what it's worth I particularly like the top image with the coloured Prom. Very nice work my friend,
Keith
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

Mike, you are the man !!!. Thank you for helping us on the old AF and here, you saved us a lot of time with your instructions. I had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife in London a couple of years ago ( we were going to have lunch but were so busy chatting that lunch became tea ). Stay safe my friend,'
Keith
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am If you are reading this John i did reduce the Prom image about to 94%. I think the match is better appreciate comments.

Cliff
Very nicely done, Cliff.:) Those are three beauties... You have that gear working great. Good Job!!!

The detail on the active region is good too.

Thanks for sharing your work... Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Lowjiber wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 am
Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am If you are reading this John i did reduce the Prom image about to 94%. I think the match is better appreciate comments.

Cliff
Very nicely done, Cliff.:) Those are three beauties... You have that gear working great. Good Job!!!

The detail on the active region is good too.

Thanks for sharing your work... Clear Skies
Thanks John,

Your suggestions and help have been greatly appreciated , I did use Imppg as well . Starting to come to grips with Photoshop never really used it a lot. The Layers are so powerful.

Cliff
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Tillibobs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:13 am Hey Cliff, for what it's worth I particularly like the top image with the coloured Prom. Very nice work my friend,
Keith
Thanks Keith , the other was just playing with the curves you can bring out more detail but the original one probably looks better.

Cliff
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Welcome aboard, Chich. Glad you joined us.:) Make yourself at home, and I'm sure you'll be cranking out sun shots in no time.
Chich wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:40 pm ...

Thanks
I can't comment on the capture software that will team up with your cam, but am sure others can advise... just ask.:)

Process-wise... I stack with AutoStakkert (free) and do most of my tonal adjustments in ImPPG (also free). Some prefer RegiStax over ImPPG, but either will do the job just fine.

Ninety percent of my final processing is done in PhotoShop, but there are a few others "out there" that will work just as well.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Lowjiber wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:10 pm Welcome aboard, Chich. Glad you joined us.:) Make yourself at home, and I'm sure you'll be cranking out sun shots in no time.
Chich wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:40 pm ...

Thanks
I can't comment on the capture software that will team up with your cam, but am sure others can advise... just ask.:)

Process-wise... I stack with AutoStakkert (free) and do most of my tonal adjustments in ImPPG (also free). Some prefer RegiStax over ImPPG, but either will do the job just fine.

Ninety percent of my final processing is done in PhotoShop, but there are a few others "out there" that will work just as well.

Clear Skies
I find that Registax can be very similar to ImPPG when you start using wavelets layers other than LAYER1. If you haven't tried that (I didn't know about it until I saw a youtube video a few weeks ago) you should try it. I used it for the surface in this image. It is the best detail I have gotten on my surface captures with a 2.5x barlow.

ImageSolar Prominence 9/6/2021 by Greg Cisko, on Flickr
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Also I am not sure what to do about this... Every time I try to sharpen the image the sunspots seem to lessen. This was taken the same day as the previous image I posted (Sept 6, 2021). This shows I believe AR2868 & AR2866. Any advice is appreciated.

ImageActive Region AR2868 & AR2866 9/6/2021 by Greg Cisko, on Flickr
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Cliff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am Well nothing since the 12th , cloudy, rainy and cold. The Sun has gone a little quiet too!

So these were also taken on the 12th, The one with white proms was an experiment in Photoshop.

Gear used Tak76DS, Combo Quark , 4X Powermate , QHY163M camera , two exposures stacked then combined in Photoshop.

If you are reading this John i did reduce the Prom image about to 94%. I think the match is better appreciate comments.

Cliff
Hello Cliff
This has nothing to do with processing but like I stated earlier I like to trace the issues back to the capture . Of the images you posted above the first one is pretty close to being on band across the field . The second one is not on band you can see the detail is better towards the upper left quarter but the detail washes out as you approach the limb .This is a tuning issue , one or two clicks in either direction should have corrected the issue to give a more even on band view for the camera . The Quark also wants to be as close to F/32 as you can get it , this plays a big part in how they work .
Last edited by Solsearcher on Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

gcisko wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm Also I am not sure what to do about this... Every time I try to sharpen the image the sunspots seem to lessen. This was taken the same day as the previous image I posted (Sept 6, 2021). This shows I believe AR2868 & AR2866. Any advice is appreciated.

Again I have to go back to the capture here , first the tuning is a bit off and the lighting is not even and this adds more issues for the processing . As far a a being able to sharpen , it looks to me like there might have been some vibration in your mount looking at the image it appears that the capture might not have been steady , when you shoot close up a rock steady mount becomes essential .
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Tillibobs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 am Mike, you are the man !!!. Thank you for helping us on the old AF and here, you saved us a lot of time with your instructions. I had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife in London a couple of years ago ( we were going to have lunch but were so busy chatting that lunch became tea ). Stay safe my friend,'
Keith
Hello Keith , You might not believe this but that was back in 2015 when we enjoyed that afternoon together , time sure flies by now !!
Great to see that you are doing better now , time to get your Lunt dialed in and start shooting again !
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I have seen a lot of good discussion and tips on processing that is very helpful in that area . Sometimes I see questions about how to correct issues that could have been rectified during the capture stage . One thing I have learned from my solar imaging journey is that the capture is the key to a decent image . If your scope is tuned correctly , the camera settings are right and you are not pushing your optics your video stacks should be easy to work with and require little processing . This is why I put the majority of my effort into my captures . It is very easy to be off on our tuning or camera settings and not notice until we see the video . I am very familiar with my scopes but will still do multiple videos of the same shot with different settings . If I am shooting close ups I will take at least 8 or 10 videos of the same shot and use only the one that has the most steady un distorted frames .
I have learned to be very fussy about my captures and try to correct any issues at that stage rather than struggle with them at the processing stage

I hope my comments about the posted images did not offend anyone , I wanted to be honest about what I saw in the images and suggest a remedy

Mike
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Solsearcher wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:33 pm
gcisko wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm Also I am not sure what to do about this... Every time I try to sharpen the image the sunspots seem to lessen. This was taken the same day as the previous image I posted (Sept 6, 2021). This shows I believe AR2868 & AR2866. Any advice is appreciated.

Again I have to go back to the capture here , first the tuning is a bit off and the lighting is not even and this adds more issues for the processing . As far a a being able to sharpen , it looks to me like there might have been some vibration in your mount looking at the image it appears that the capture might not have been steady , when you shoot close up a rock steady mount becomes essential .
Thanks for the tips, I will look into the capture. This was an image that I took and then blew up 2.5x with Topaz Gigapixel. I agree it does look like the mount was shaking. But it is my only images of those sunspot active regions.
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Appreciate the comments and suggestions Mike ,
I am at F30 best I can figure F7.5 76mm scope and 4X Powermate. The only way I can increase that is maybe make the aperture slightly smaller.
The problem with a Quark as you know it takes a while between adjustments to stabilise it's not instant that would make it a lot easier, I have settled on a 1/4 Counter Clockwise position 9 O'clock I guess.
I use Sharpcap for captures and creating defocussed Flats.
Trying to get even illumination is another struggle in images when both the Sun and the Black surround are in frame. The center of the Sun also seems brighter I guess thats to be expected.
The Quark is miles better than the PST I had.

Hello Cliff
This has nothing to do with processing but like I stated earlier I like to trace the issues back to the capture . Of the images you posted above the first one is pretty close to being on band across the field . The second one is not on band you can see the detail is better towards the upper left quarter but the detail washes out as you approach the limb .This is a tuning issue , one or two clicks in either direction should have corrected the issue to give a more even on band view for the camera . The Quark also wants to be as close to F/32 as you can get it , this plays a big part in how they work .
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2