SOLARHEADS - SEPTEMBER Chat Group

Discuss solar related topics.
Cliff
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SOLARHEADS - SEPTEMBER Chat Group

Post by Cliff »

Finally some clear skies, seeing ok. max 31C today so getting warmer. Still in lockdown in Sydney.

Here's a close-up of the current Sunspots today 2866, 2868 and 2869 pretty good surface detail .

Cliff
Attachments
Sunspots 11 Sep 2021 (2866 2868 2869) in Ha
Sunspots 11 Sep 2021 (2866 2868 2869) in Ha
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

FRAZ wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:03 am Sorry for using a sweary name for one of my image names, I now realise that it could be seen by anyone who hovers over an image.
I will make sure I change any profanity before posting.
Didn't see the image or the name but found out the hard way that words mean different things to different countries.

Back around 1982 I spent a few months in Sydney Australia I added a friends dinner party. They asked me if I wanted anything more to eat, to answer I used a term that in the US means that I can't eat any more I said "no thank you I am STUFFED" The older ladies there as gasped. The host pulled me aside and told me that downunder "stuffed" is the same as the F' word here in the USA.

Other words can get you in trouble in this country, for example I was told in the UK that a rubber is an eraser, well in the US don't ask a female teacher for a rubber as that is a condom in this country!
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

THE DARK SIDE

It was clear last night and I decided to see if I could see anything with my Lunt 102ED. The reason I do solar, besides that it is the most interesting pursuit in astronomy is my sky. I am tree challenged having a clear view over my neighbors houses and a factory 600 feet away from SE to just beyond S about 10 degrees past the meridian and then from N to NW. I can only see Polaris with averted vision and to the NE and E is a major mall 300 feet away.
Last Night Vega was already behind the trees at 9 pm and with my sky conditions I could see Altair (barely) and Deneb, no other stars, to the north really nothing due to skyglow.

I have a Celestron Star Sense but it cannot work in AUTO mode due to the trees. I had a heck of a time finding Altair, finally put the finder back on and got it in the EP then calibrated the Star Sense. I did a 4 area - not star as it uses pictures of the sky with plate solving. When I completed I went to M15 and M27 and they were right on. I have imaged all the Messiers both with my scopes and with the remote scopes at SLOOH already but I wanted to do a few more visual observations both by scope and for the AL with Binocs, picked up M15 M16 and M22 for my list.

The Star Sense is nice because there are many times that there are either no alignment stars or only 1 in my opening and the SS doesn't need any, also it can still work before dark at dusk

Now I know why I like SOLAR, I am tired this morning and when I dropped my pen I had a hard time finding it!
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Lunt service, comments

My LS80 has a problem with the blocking filter, the "blue lens" they call it has clouded over totally. I was afraid it would need a new one or have to be sent for repairs. I talked to them yesterday and this is a common issue. They sell a new lens for $8 that is now coated and I can replace it with a spanner. That is good.

ALSO I asked them about leaving the scope out in the winter, I had heard you are not supposed to leave it out below 38 F, So I asked them, as the scope is heavy for me to lug from my observing patio to the house especially when it is icy. Lunt told me that it is the Blocking Filter that is temp sensitive and needs to be kept inside. So I will leave the scope out with my other scopes and gear and carry the blocking filter in and out.

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

FRAZ wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 am I shoot all in one personally.

I get the mix and match idea and it can give good results but I like to make it look as natural as possible.
I always shoot two. I'll try to explain why with a simple example...

Below is an old "surface" shot from my DropBox. I've done nothing to it... It is just a stacked TIFF. (Note that it is just a screenshot that I saved as a JPEG for discussion.)

Here it is... Just a plain old surface shot.
DISK.jpg
Now I'm simply going to over-expose it using Levels to demonstrate that there are indeed proms present in that shot...
PROMS ON DISK.jpg
It is pretty obvious that there are two sets of proms in the single shot, but to see them it is necessary to "blow out" the data.

Now, if I were to attempt to process the entire shot as "one", I would be compromising both the surface and the proms. Both are "natural" in that they are present in the shot, but each one needs to be dealt with to make a single, finished image.

By making camera adjustments for a prom image and a surface image, I can bring out the best in both. I don't want to compromise either at a "cost" to the other.

That's kinda crude, as I did the whole thing in three minutes just for a demo.:)

The "atmosphere" around a prom usually contains many "frills" that are lost when the processing is compromised to make the surface reveal its secrets.

(Note that I used a full-disk in this example. If I were to use a single quadrant shot, the effects would be much more obvious.)

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Interesting hedgerow prominence on the sun yesterday. Lunt 102ED, Quark Chromosphere, ZWO ASI174mm. 500 frames 50 stacked
2nd image shows the size of the earth in comparison to the prom
20210910 prom.jpg
20210910 prom earth size comp.jpg

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Lowjiber wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:36 pm
FRAZ wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 am I shoot all in one personally.

I get the mix and match idea and it can give good results but I like to make it look as natural as possible.
I always shoot two. I'll try to explain why with a simple example...

Below is an old "surface" shot from my DropBox. I've done nothing to it... It is just a stacked TIFF. (Note that it is just a screenshot that I saved as a JPEG for discussion.)

Here it is... Just a plain old surface shot.

Now I'm simply going to over-expose it using Levels to demonstrate that there are indeed proms present in that shot...

It is pretty obvious that there are two sets of proms in the single shot, but to see them it is necessary to "blow out" the data.

Now, if I were to attempt to process the entire shot as "one", I would be compromising both the surface and the proms. Both are "natural" in that they are present in the shot, but each one needs to be dealt with to make a single, finished image.

By making camera adjustments for a prom image and a surface image, I can bring out the best in both. I don't want to compromise either at a "cost" to the other.

That's kinda crude, as I did the whole thing in three minutes just for a demo.:)

The "atmosphere" around a prom usually contains many "frills" that are lost when the processing is compromised to make the surface reveal its secrets.

(Note that I used a full-disk in this example. If I were to use a single quadrant shot, the effects would be much more obvious.)

Clear Skies

John that explains it well. I had started doing a single image and then trying to work it in photoshop using layers and masking, it is a lot more work than taking the minute or so that it takes to make two avi's one for the surface and one for the proms/limb. In PS it is easy to work each one, sometimes it takes only two sets of curves and a color curve to get the finished image and then to put them together I merge the surface and select it, smooth the edge and copy and drop on the image of the limb.

very quick and easy and you can adjust each avi during capture to what you want to see, especially with proms it can allow you to bring out more of the subtle detail, same with PS, you can work each one for the best results.

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Thanks Jeff.:)

Just for fun, I pulled the proms out for a minor processing and stuck 'em back on. LOL
JUST-HAVING-FUN_WEB.jpg
JUST-HAVING-FUN-two_WEB.jpg
(Note: My wife is not here to tell me how bad the color really is, so I just guessed. LOL)
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Looks like a gold Christmas ornament

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Goldenballs!

Its no wonder I get in trouble all the time!
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.
FRAZ
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by FRAZ »

Sun280821impBcol.jpg
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.
PST mod stage 2 - Quark on extended loan and yet to repay with value ;)
Camera- ASi 174 mono no tilt required.
BF10,15,30 straight through with baader ffc. (looking to replace the rusted IFT on 10 + 15 with a maier replacement)
Lots of nighttime scopes and stuff but focus on the sun.
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Wow I missed this but I guess it is better late than never! So I guess I will take a turn and introduce my self.

I am retired after spending 39 years working in a High Energy Physics Laboratory near Chicago (no I am not a scientist). I started in the astronomy hobby in 1970 and only recently started being successful at imaging planets and deepsky. I didn't get into solar until 2016 or so, and tried my hand at imaging there as well.

I bought a Coronado 60mm SolarMax II in 2016 and liked is so much I got the double stack shortly after as it was on sale. My solar mount is a SkyWatcher Star Adventurer and my camera is an ZSO asi120mms.

All imaging was rough until 2019 when I got a Revolution Imager and learned Photoshop and how to process better. After a year or so with the Revolution Imager, I now had a better idea how to image with DSLRs, as well as using planetary imaging cameras with Sharpcap.

I actually stopped using the ASI120mms for a year or so and started imaging the sun with the Revolution Imager. At the time John, (Lowjiber) was nice enough to help and has mentored me quite a bit to get me where I am today. So I thank him for his gracious help.

To end, I will mention I have learned 3 things to have a chance to get a good image. 1) you need the equipment, 2) you need the seeing conditions, 3) you need to know how to post process. Ok there are 4 things: 4) You need to experience to know how to put it all together - It took me 6 year to get something I was happy with. - Cheers and thanks for reading this far!
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Trying Johns two image idea, still having some fun and games matching them accurately , seem to end up with a glow around the edge.

Anyway here's a nice prominence today

Best 10% stacked Autostakkert3 , Photoshop - Combo Quark , 4X Powermate 70mm ext, Tak76DS . QHY163M
Only today I tried the QHY163M rather than the 174MM frame rate lower but resolution should be better and i can cool it. ? Not too bad in 8bit mode.
Also found my little 2deg offset tube that came with my Combo Quark eliminated my Newton rings which were really bad on the 163M.

Wind stopped me this afternoon.
Attachments
Combo Quark , 4X Powermate 70mm ext, Tak76D QHY163M - actually second processing attempt
Combo Quark , 4X Powermate 70mm ext, Tak76D QHY163M - actually second processing attempt
Combo Quark , 4X Powermate 70mm ext, Tak76D QHY163M - First processing attempt
Combo Quark , 4X Powermate 70mm ext, Tak76D QHY163M - First processing attempt
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I often get the glow, not from the surface image but from the proms, I believe it is due to bleeding from the overexposed surface. Not sure how to get rid of it during the capture

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Yes may be that is the disadvantage of taking two different exposures rather than a single ? This is the first time i've tried two different exposures and merged them. To show the Proms it is really overexposed .
Cliff

Scopes Meade LT6 6" ACF SCT, Tak 76DS , Tak 106ED, Vixen VMC200L
Mounts Vixen SXD2
Camera ZWO533MC, ZWO178mc, ZWO174mm, ZWO120mm-s, QHY163C, QHY163M
Access Combo Quark, ES2X, 4X PM, 5X PM
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Cliff wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:49 am Trying Johns two image idea, still having some fun and games matching them accurately , seem to end up with a glow around the edge.
Your second processing attempt (first one in the post above) looks pretty darn good.:)

Let's examine the "fit" of the surface to the prom shot. If you'll notice the white edge between the prom and surface is still prominent as the eye moves counterclockwise... The white line from the prom shot is still there. That's because when we increase the exposure to capture the prom, the image becomes "bloated" just a tiny bit which makes the overall prom shot too large for the surface shot to fit well.

How do we fix it? We'll reduce the size of the prom shot just a tiny bit in Photoshop. Go to Image>Size in Photoshop... The Width & Height will be in Pixels.
PIXELS.jpg
PIXELS.jpg (15.2 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
When you press "OK", the entire prom image will slightly reduce to reduce the bloating from the overexposure. :)

Regarding that dreaded "glow"... That can be cleaned up a bit with the Tone Curve Editor in ImPPG while processing the prom shot. I don't know how experience you are with compound curves on a histogram, but can help later if needed.:)

Press the drop-down arrow and change the units to Percent.
PERCENT.jpg
PERCENT.jpg (15.2 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Now, change the percent to around 99.5. (This is usually enough "shrinkage", but you may have to tinker a tiny bit more/less to get it perfect.
NINETY NINE FIVE.jpg
NINETY NINE FIVE.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Regarding the "glow"... You can clean much of that up with the "Tone Curve Editor" in ImPPG during the prom processing. It takes a little experience with compound curves... I can help if needed.:)

Overall, that's good work. Keep it up!

Clear Skies
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:41 am I often get the glow, not from the surface image but from the proms, I believe it is due to bleeding from the overexposed surface. Not sure how to get rid of it during the capture
My cameras (Imaging source) as well as my processing methods are way out of date but capture methods should be similar . The usual method we use to find the proms is to raise the exposure and gamma , when I am on "target'" I will reduce the exposure until I see definition in the prom and then reduce the gamma settings to reduce the sky glow and tighten up the definition in the prom structure .
I have not kept up in processing so I am of little help in that area , I try to put most of my efforts into the capture and if I do that well the processing should be routine and easy .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Lowjiber wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:54 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:49 am Trying Johns two image idea, still having some fun and games matching them accurately , seem to end up with a glow around the edge.
Your second processing attempt (first one in the post above) looks pretty darn good.:)

Let's examine the "fit" of the surface to the prom shot. If you'll notice the white edge between the prom and surface is still prominent as the eye moves counterclockwise... The white line from the prom shot is still there. That's because when we increase the exposure to capture the prom, the image becomes "bloated" just a tiny bit which makes the overall prom shot too large for the surface shot to fit well.

How do we fix it? We'll reduce the size of the prom shot just a tiny bit in Photoshop. Go to Image>Size in Photoshop... The Width & Height will be in Pixels.

When you press "OK", the entire prom image will slightly reduce to reduce the bloating from the overexposure. :)

Press the drop-down arrow and change the units to Percent.

Now, change the percent to around 99.5. (This is usually enough "shrinkage", but you may have to tinker a tiny bit more/less to get it perfect.

Regarding the "glow"... You can clean much of that up with the "Tone Curve Editor" in ImPPG during the prom processing. It takes a little experience with compound curves... I can help if needed.:)

Overall, that's good work. Keep it up!

Clear Skies
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Thanks John, Solsearcher

The second attempt I matched the edge better but lost my Prom , looks like cloud for a week so have time to experiment.

Sure better than anything my PST I had could do !

Had vignetting so had to reduce ROI with the QHY163M and really bad Newton rings much worse than the 174MM , used the small offset adapter that came with the Quark for SCT use no more rings now need a T-adapter for the Quark and a more solid Tilter this ones got a single screw, a bit nervous hanging this camera on that.

Another problem is the files are getting huge with the 163M compared to the 174MM and its much heavier.

Will have another go, I am no Photoshop expert, used Imppg a little .

Clear Skies
Cliff
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2
Cliff
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Cliff »

Any suggestions for a decent Tilter to remove Newton Rings ? ,
I can use the little one that came with my Combo Quark and it works but the single screw holding the camera has me a little worried ?

Appreciate any suggestions. Would need to carry a fairly heavy camera QHY163M.
Cliff

Mounts Vixen SXD2