Quark Chromosphere - turning down the control?

Discuss solar related topics.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Quark Chromosphere - turning down the control?

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I have been using my Quark for both surface and proms and almost always have it set at 4 o'clock or 3 o'clock

has anyone run it at 9 o'clock or 12 o'clock? Would that bring out more detail in the proms?
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
FRAZ Scotland
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Quark Chromosphere - turning down the control?

Post by FRAZ »

I have had a quark on loan for years now and never got the chance to use it. The main reason for this is that I will have to dismantle my PST mod and put the internal erf in a new scope.

What erf are you using?
What scope is it best to use?
Is there anything I should know before getting stuck in?

I will probably be able to answer your question when I have a go. :)
Mentored by Keith, Mike, John and Bill. (The old guard) and forever grateful.

Spending obscene amounts of money building a big fracking solar telescope.
(Trying my best not to curse or swear :) )
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Quark Chromosphere - turning down the control?

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

I got the answer from John (lowjiber) the 9 position works for proms, will try it Monday the sky willing

I use the Baeder UV/IR cut filter, 1.25" on the front of my diagonal (I use a diagonal many people do it straight through)
I use the following scopes
Orion ST80 f/5 and Stellarvue SV80 APO, an achro is all you need for the sun
Lunt ED102 f/7 Celestron AZ102
Skywatcher Evostar 120 f/7.5

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount

I don't have a refractor bigger than the 120 BUT a word of warning - the larger the aperture the steadier the air has to be. In my area most days the 120mm is too much scope, you can see the sun jumping around.
90% of my solar imaging is done with either my Lunt ED102 (or sometimes my Celestron AZ102 not much different in image quality but the focuser on the Lunt is really sweet) as the 102mm seems to be a sweet spot. If the air is really bad I will stick the 80mm on the mount.
Each scope gives different view as expected. I have a Lunt CAk module that will give full disk with the 102, just barely. The 80mm give a better full disk with the CAk.

the sun can be addicting as it changes minute by minute, unlike deep sky or even the moon.

There are several sights that you can and will use to determine whether to go out. The one I use the most is https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableVie ... hAlpha.cfg

then there is spaceweather.com

The older I get the more I like my sleep and don't like bugs also my skies are Bortle 8 ! The sun is up when I am awake and no mosquitoes
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)