Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The rotation of AR2833

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi again everyone :D

My dear wife and daughter and probably even the cat are upstairs watching the Gilmour Girls. Therefore, I am in the basement doing this, which I was actually going to get around to tomorrow. Well, what with my current circumstances, no time like the present :lol:

Yesterday I took a stack of the Sun with AR2833, which is AR2824 returning for the second time around the face of ol' Sol. I took the pics at 5:14PM EST to be exact.

Today I got in at 2PM, and waited for the weather to either clear or yuck up, especially at 5:14...

As it turned out, I had haze and occasional clouds until just before 5PM. Then it cleared up a bit with a future bank of clouds coming in from the west. Fine by me. At 5:14PM I started shooting...

80mm_06-16-2021-s.jpg

Full size image here

Not the best conditions or pics (big achro ring around the disc; could have better faculae) but it was enough for what I wanted to do. How much does a sunspot move in a day? I realize the Sun is fluid and has different rotational rates across its surface, but just for a general idea was my thought. So I merged my two pics from yesterday and today in the proper north-south position of the Sun. showing the movement of AR2833 from left to right.

Based upon the position of the spot and the Sun's diameter at where the spot is moving across, it looks to me to be roughly 160,000 KM's (100K miles) of movement in the past day. Please correct me if I'm wrong; I don't pretend to have a good knowledge of math. Still, looking at the image of the Earth to scale to the bottom right at just under 13000KM's (~8000miles) in diameter, I have to think it's close.

80mm_06-15_16-2021-s.jpg

Full size image here

It would be fun to do this again tomorrow; supposedly I'm in for clear skies. I'll see how that works out... ;)

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The rotation of AR2833

Post by Ylem »

The spot bigger than the Earth!!
Amazing.

100k miles of movement is probably a good estimate.
Last edited by Ylem on Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice. I think it's close too....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

What a great image to show the progression Mark, very good idea! :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

A couple of very nice captures Mark,I'm almost tempted to see if I can remember how to image if the clouds co-operate.
Keith