First Sunspot

Discuss solar related topics.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

First Sunspot

Post by mikemarotta »

I bought four of the Sun Catcher telescope objective filters from Explore Scientific and installed one on my 70 mm refractor. (I also put two slips of exposed 35mm film over the finder, just to line up.) Worked like a charm! I saw a sunspot and watched it slowly move. I was at 22x (21.87).

The old National G is not too steady, held together with rubber bands, but it is the easiest to carry all set up, and I was able to duck outside and catch the sun on a day that was mostly cloudy. Now that I know that it works and how it works, I will make another for one of my larger refractors and try to take a picture.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: First Sunspot

Post by Solsearcher »

Nice to hear that you got your "solar" feet wet , hopefully we get some more activity soon .
I have never heard of using "exposed 35mm film" for a solar filter and would suggest you not use it . Solar filters have energy rejection and I doubt that 35mm film would be adequate or safe . An easy way to find the sun is to just line up the shadow , swing each axis until the scope projects the smallest shadow on the ground . To check that are on target you can remove the diagonal and hold your hand or a piece of paper close to the end of the scope , when you are on you will see a bright circle . Be sure your filter is in place when you do this or you could either burn a hole through the paper or heat up your hand very quickly !!
I just want you to be safe and I will be looking forward to seeing some images .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have not heard of the 35mm film usage before either and when I read it I cringed a bit to be honest.
Please respect your eyesight and either use a proper filter on your finder, cap it or remove it from the telescope. Doing the shadow method to locate the sun that Sol has mentioned is very easy and fast once you have done it a time or two.
You also keep your eyesight, safety first :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

You can also make a " solar cap " for your Finder in much the same way as you would for the objective lens.

Keith.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Solsearcher wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:00 am I have never heard of using "exposed 35mm film" for a solar filter and would suggest you not use it . Solar filters have energy rejection ...
swing each axis until the scope projects the smallest shadow on the ground .
Thanks. I am pretty careful with my eyes. I wear UV sunglasses and seldom go outdoors without them. The exposed film is an old hack from the old days before the invention of solar filters. Back then, I had a reflector and my friend had a refractor with a solar filter eyepiece. You can't get them anymore, long gone as unsafe. But that was the first time I saw sunpots, 1959 or 60. As I said, it was not for long viewing.

In fact, you can probably not find any sunglasses that are not UV these days, but in days gone by, sunglasses were just colored plastic. Rayban brand was sportswear advertised in men's magazines along with Banlon shirts. Anyway, I ran out two rolls of film for the 2017 eclipse. I don't have little eclipses on my retinas. But thanks for the warning.That's why I bought four Sun Catchers.

Anyway, we are at a sunpsot minimum right now. It will be another six years as they increase toward maximum.

I am a member of the SPA and they have a solar viewing program with forms to fill out an send in. They compile the reports and publish the data. It's something to do during the day.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Tillibobs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:53 am You can also make a " solar cap " for your Finder in much the same way as you would for the objective lens. Keith.
Actually, I cannot. I mean, I could buy a sheet of the stuff from Thousand Oaks. Or I could sacrifice one of these. But they are designed to be mounted on 70 mm to 12 inch objectives, not finders.
Sun Catcher Filters copy.jpg
They run from $15 to $28 at Explore Scientific.
Michael E. Marotta
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Mike, glad you got to see some Sun action! First time I saw a sunspot I was blown away and from then on an increasing "solarhead" :lol:

As for finding the Sun, I have to agree with all the above for sure; their advice has served me well. With your finderscope, you could even use a lens from a pair of solar eclipse glasses and make your own. Baader solar film is really cheap as well; a $50 sheet (CDN so less in the US) covers five of my scopes (2 60mm's, 70mm, 80mm and a 102mm) with enough left over to cover a few finderscopes.

Also, you could make your own to replace the finderscope. A 1 1/4" L bracket, some plastic, and a long bolt made this; just line it up so the bolt doesn't cast a shadow and there you go :D

Image4.jpg

Look forward to some more of your viewing and maybe even a pic or two?

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

mikemarotta wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:42 pm
Tillibobs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:53 am You can also make a " solar cap " for your Finder in much the same way as you would for the objective lens. Keith.
Actually, I cannot. I mean, I could buy a sheet of the stuff from Thousand Oaks. Or I could sacrifice one of these. But they are designed to be mounted on 70 mm to 12 inch objectives, not finders.

They run from $15 to $28 at Explore Scientific.
Actually if you want best view using this type of filter the Baader asto film is much better.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:18 am Actually if you want best view using this type of filter the Baader asto film is much better.
A) Better how?

B) I went to the Baader website and read the product guides. They make everything complicated with screws and springs and a 34-page instruction manual.And selecting my Make and Model and Diameter, the result was None.

The Explore Scientific models are configurable to a range of diameters, Large, Mediium 1, Medium 2, and Small. The bearings (centering grips) for the outer circumference are foam that you cut with scissors or a kitchen knife. The instructions are a panel 10 cm x 20 cm, all graphical, no words. And they have a video that shows you how.

C) Is it better enough to justify the expense of buying three more filters?

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Baader film has a much better resolution than the other films.
It is very easy to make a filter cell for your telescope, some card, scissors and glue and you are done in 15 minutes.
You do not need to buy more filters, just a sheet of the film.
https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/20 ... ar-filter/

Side by side you will notice the difference between the two films.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:36 am... A 1 1/4" L bracket, some plastic, and a long bolt made this; just line it up so the bolt doesn't cast a shadow and there you go :D Look forward to some more of your viewing and maybe even a pic or two?
I am not a fabrictor. About 18 months ago, I replaced the thermostat in my car (Honda Civic). It was a lot of fun. The one-hour job only took eight hours over two days and I had to do it twice to get it right. But it was a lot of fun -- once. I donated my reflector to the Goodwill rather than hassle with collimation. When the secondary swung free, I just screwed everything down again before it got any worse and gave the instrument to a social service charity. Everyone is a lot happier.

As much fun as it is go out and observe, I find other entertainments in astronomy. Right now, I am previewing a second online class in astrophysics. The astronomy is easy; the physics is harder; the only thing hard about the physics is the math. But it is not as frustrating as springs and gears and L-clamps.

Nature distrubtes her gifts unequally.

That being as it may, as soon as we get some sun here, I intend to see how it goes taking pictures. I will be using either the 102mm or the 115mm refractors. The 70mm is not up to the task.

Having cut one solar filter, the second one should go easier.
Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:28 pm "... some card, scissors and glue and you are done in 15 minutes.
No, draga moya, YOU are done in 15 minutes. I have film cut the wrong size with glue fingerprints on it.

Mike M.
"m r double-dot"
Michael E. Marotta
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

In that case I would highly recommend looking for a used (or new) Baader Herschel wedge, the ultimate in white light observing or photography. :)

In your astro club someone must be using the Baader film, do a side by side if possible.
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:02 pm In that case I would highly recommend looking for a used (or new) Baader Herschel wedge, the ultimate in white light observing or photography. :)

In your astro club someone must be using the Baader film, do a side by side if possible.
Whoa, that's more than I've spent on gear in the last three years!
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:42 pm Whoa, that's more than I've spent on gear in the last three years!
I hear you on that! For me here a Herschel wedge is close to 1K CDN. I'll take my 50 dollar Baader solar film which does a really good job with feculae. Though I would seriously love a HW; I just can't afford it.

Seems the more "deeper" into the Sun you go, the more it costs. I can do white light for cheap. I'd really like a Calcium-K filter for more enhancement on that, but for a double-stacked Baader filter, that would cost me just over $400 with tax.

Hydrogen-Alpha? OK, I'm drooling now, but that's at least $1200 for a 40mm.

Why do the things I'm so interested in cost so much? :lol:
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:42 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:02 pm In that case I would highly recommend looking for a used (or new) Baader Herschel wedge, the ultimate in white light observing or photography. :)

Whoa, that's more than I've spent on gear in the last three years!
It is one of those pieces of equipment that makes you cry when you purchase it but will last a lifetime.
I paid 800€ in 2004 so 800/17years = 47.06 per year so far and dropping. :lol:
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Which has me curious. I do have several standard number filters. If I can't absorb a solar filter right now, would any of those be helpful in bringing out any features on the Sun.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:23 am
GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:42 pm Whoa, that's more than I've spent on gear in the last three years!
I hear you on that! For me here a Herschel wedge is close to 1K CDN. I'll take my 50 dollar Baader solar film which does a really good job with feculae. Though I would seriously love a HW; I just can't afford it.

Seems the more "deeper" into the Sun you go, the more it costs. I can do white light for cheap. I'd really like a Calcium-K filter for more enhancement on that, but for a double-stacked Baader filter, that would cost me just over $400 with tax.

Hydrogen-Alpha? OK, I'm drooling now, but that's at least $1200 for a 40mm.

Why do the things I'm so interested in cost so much? :lol:
I bought a 2" Altair Astro Herschel Wedge with all the built in extras incl a built in sun finder from Ontario Telescopes a month or so ago for $400 C, works perfectly in my various refractors with a 10-30 zoom.
Attachments
C34D1B25-E89D-4727-87B9-BA8D1E4C4E28.jpeg
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

GCoyote wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:09 pm Which has me curious. I do have several standard number filters. If I can't absorb a solar filter right now, would any of those be helpful in bringing out any features on the Sun.
I am not quite sure of what you are asking, at a minimum you will need Baader film or Thousand Oaks film.
A polorizer will help with brightness if needed.
Baader make the Solar Continuum filter to enhance views but it must be used with a wedge or solar film.
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/f ... 40nm).html
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:28 pm
GCoyote wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:09 pm Which has me curious. I do have several standard number filters. If I can't absorb a solar filter right now, would any of those be helpful in bringing out any features on the Sun.
I am not quite sure of what you are asking, at a minimum you will need Baader film or Thousand Oaks film.
A polorizer will help with brightness if needed.
Baader make the Solar Continuum filter to enhance views but it must be used with a wedge or solar film.
https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/f ... 40nm).html
The Altair Astro has a built in polarizer and has a ND filter but with my Baader Film I use a variable polarizing filter or a #56-58 green filter, works great. The Continuum is just a lot of extra money spent.
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Thanks! I have a variable polarizer set and at least one of those greens. Will try them out.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars