Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Ol' Sol May 24/21

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hey all, hoping things are well with you :D

I had a busy weekend and it was really humid and hot here. Yesterday (Monday) the outside temperature was back to the 70's F( low 20's C) and the humidity and clouds had vanished literally overnight.

I took off for work at 6AM, hoping to get home before the haze and clouds predicted for the afternoon. I did get in at just after 3PM, but the haze and humidity were starting to kick in by then. I find solar so much better in the morning, but it is what it is...

According to spaceweather.com, AR2825 had just appeared off the left of the disc the day before, and AR2824 was well on it's way to the middle. I find with this site (not a complaint) that what appears on their image to the very left of the disc, I won't see for another day at least. Same as a spot disappearing to the right of the disc; spaceweather.com's image shows it to be gone, but I'll still have another day of it.
Not a problem; you adjust your view to suit.

As always, I took out my C80-HD achro at f/11.4 on its CG4, Baader solar film, and Canon EOS 550D set to ISO 100 and 1/250th sec exp. I took 25 shots, aligned in PIPP, and stacked in AS3; best 50%. I wasn't overly impressed with the resulting quality, but the haze does not help. I know; excuses, excuses... :lol:

Still, no weird artifacts present, which I find to be an issue with all but the clearest of daytime skies. Not sure how I lucked out there... I processed the resulting stack from AS3 in ImPPG and a few final touches with Adobe PS and the Raw Filter.

AR2825 is in full view slightly to the right the middle, not hard to see. AR2824 on the other hand, is still quite small as you can maybe see. It's to the left at about the 9:30 position, looks like a single dark dot.
That pale blue dot to the bottom right of the Sun itself is the Earth to scale.

AR2824_25_s.jpg

Full size image here

However, there is a lighter area around AR2824 (I forget what it's called) that I noticed. I ran the stack without ImPPG through PS again and using some blue coloration, tried to bring it out. I also really want a Calcium filter... ;)

AR2824_25_Blue_s.jpg

Full size image here

And finally, if you still can't see it all, here an "infographic", if you will. I've also circled an area to the right (question mark) of AR2824 that looks to be a spot the same size as AR2825, but nothing about it anywhere online. Might be a camera glitch...

AR2824_25_Blue_info_s.jpg

Full size image here

That is probably the last I'll get to see the Sun for a bit, if my long range forecast is right. It was back to heat and humidity today, rain slated for tomorrow; I could go on :lol:

And BTW, if any of you have a 1.25" Calcium-K filter that's collecting dust, I would be happy to hear from you :D

All the best and clearest of skies, both day and night!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Ol' Sol May 24/21

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nice shots! Glad you included the full resolution image. Reading from my phone I had to blow it up a bit to catch the little guy.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Really nice images Mark :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice Mark :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Great images again Mark :smile:
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

nice disk , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Looks great Mark, congrats on the successful capture of the sunspots.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N