Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AR2814 from Wednesday (04/14/21)

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope you're well :D

I took some pics of ol' Sol on Wednesday, and today is Friday... Bit late on that!

I had other things to do on Wednesday night, so I was going to do the processing Thursday night. Unfortunately the transmission in my Ford Ranger for work failed on my way home (merging from one highway to another, no less), so that took the rest of my day/night. Today the rental F150 I had was rear-ended at a stop light at about 2:30 on my way home by a dear sweet lady that you could smell the booze off of for a mile... Thankfully, as I was dealing with that mess, an OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) cruiser came by from the other direction, and once again another tow; but this time not for me. The F150 was fine, though her car was pretty crunched in the front. After a few phone calls and obliging with the law enforcement, then heading off again, I was dropped off at home by the rental place after I dropped off the truck.

Good times. Makes me wonder why I get up some days...

But I digress. Wednesday morning I got up at 5AM for my usual run west, and saw it was really foggy out. By 6:15 as I was heading out, it was still a big soupy cloud outside.
AM1.JPG

When the Sun came up at about 6:40, the fog disappeared in under 5 minutes and it was crystal clear. However, at after 11AM as I was driving to Fort Erie, it started to get cloudy in the west; and seeing as how I was heading west and the rapidly building cloud front was heading east, I soon saw this:
AM2.JPG

We ran into each other; me, my truck and the storm front. That resulted in about an hour of hail mixed with snow with high winds. Lots of fun when the highway changes from forest to open fields on either side. Thankfully I only had about another half hour of driving when it started.

I finished my day, and drove the hour and a half home. Amazingly, the skies cleared along the way, and knowing there was a newish (2 days old) spot on the Sun, I was hoping the skies would continue to co-operate.

Well, it was not to be. I kid you not, it was 20 minutes from clear skies as I was pulling in to this after pulling out the scope:
PM.JPG

Why? It's not like my tranny failed or I got rear-ended. Oh, yeah... that was still to come. Maybe that's when the bad mojo started :lol:

Regardless, I did manage to get 25 shots in between the clouds with my C80-HD with Baader solar film and my Canon 5550D (T3i) at ISO100 at 1/250th sec exp. As you can see by the above photo, not the best of skies to do this in.

After aligning them all with PIPP and stacking with AS3, I tried running the resulting image through ImPPG... Ouch. So many vertical lines. This happens when there's haze/moisture in the atmosphere. I gave it a shot with PhotoShop 2020, using Adobe Camera Raw and the smart filter. Much better, at least for what it is.
Not the detail I was hoping for, but it was the best result out of anything I did for three days :lol:
AR2814.jpg

Alright, maybe not the totally best thing. I did have this a few hours later with a shot of Bailey's and a beer ;)
Fire.JPG

In checking Spaceweather.Com, I see there are another 2 spots forming as AR2814 rotates out of our view. My forecast says I won't see that for a while if ever, so I hope you have better luck than I!

All the best to you and yours for the weekend,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AR2814 from Wednesday (04/14/21)

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks for sharing your day Mark!

Beautiful photos! You have bonded well with your Canon.

Sounds like you extracted quite a bit out of that Wednesday!

Take care buddy!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AR2814 from Wednesday (04/14/21)

Post by Ylem »

Mark, after seeing that one cloud that looked like an angry lizard, I would have turned around and gone home! 😆😂
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D