Bill Gates Wants To Dim The Sun

Discuss solar related topics.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Bill Gates Wants To Dim The Sun

Post by Refractordude »

There is just something about this I do not like. I feel humans have gone far enough in the disrespect of nature. I think the Sun should be left alone. What say you?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... -research/
Attachments
bill gates.PNG
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Bill Gates Wants To Dim The Sun

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I think some people need to be reminded that they are not gods.

That said, technically he's not dimming the Sun at the source but rather suggesting full planetary sunscreen.

I think it is a self defeating idea. The resources required would be huge, likely impossibly. The unintended side effects are likely to be costly too.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

In ancient Rome a triumphant general being awarded the honor of a formal triumph was often followed by a slave who would whisper to him: "memento mori", remember you will die. I would suggest that it would be a good thing if our triumphant tech folks would have a similar reminder except for the fact that from Caesar onward it didn't seem to help in Rome either. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I agree the sun should be left alone and that we are not gods, however, sometimes research can bring ideas and discoveries not thought of in the original research. This would benefit us if we found a way to "clean" our atmosphere without detrimental effect or consequences.

I think a full planetary sunscreen is a really bad idea. Reminds me of the 1970's TV pop culture catchphrase: "It's not nice to fool (with) Mother Nature."
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
MrShorty United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by MrShorty »

Didn't Montgomery Burns try to block the sun in order to sell more electricity?
telescopes: XT6 and XT12 Dobsonians
binoculars: 15x70
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Well then, what's the alternative? Large parts of the world may become uninhabitable soon. Once the ice has melted there is no clear path to freezing it again, and once we get there the loss of reflectivity has an accelerating effect. Humanity does not seem to be willing to implement global climate accords, we can't just sit around and do nothing.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

MrShorty wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:13 am Didn't Montgomery Burns try to block the sun in order to sell more electricity?
😂 Yes he did 🤣
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

who will pay the bill
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hi !
messier 111 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:44 pm who will pay the bill
Who pay the bill, each time ?
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

I think that the bill is unpayable in money and resources for ideas like this and colonizing Mars. Technology is stretched to its economic (again including resource budgets apart from mere finance) so that I expect that ITER (the internationally funded tokamak to test fusion) will be the last gasp of big science projects to be achieved. Perhaps I should start another thread on why I expect that the future of huge science and technology projects is dreaming rather than realizing.
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Are we really going to trust mankind to fix this, leave nature alone, don't add to the problems.
Ivan
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Not true.

I could not read the story linked from Popular Mechanics because I do not have a subscription and did not want to register. However, something like that is too big to go unrepeated. So, I googled it. It is not true. It is a misrepresentation of a proposed small experiment.

USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 310134002/

Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen ... cf9de3793b

Snopes
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gates-block-sun/

As for the other stuff... I am surprised at the comments here. It is like the people who want dark skies for their telescopes. You have to understand that we all have affordable astronomic instruments precisely because of the Industrial Revolution. Moreover, they are all (mostly) made in China. So, China will suffer pollution, etc., but we deserve dark skies? Where is the logic in that? Having cheap powerful scientific instruments - not just telescopes or hobby microscopes: kitchen refrigerators, blenders, microwave ovens, dishwashers and clothes washers ... all of it... is changing Mother Nature. Otherwise, how would you even have a fired clay dish to eat your fire-cooked meal, killed with a purposely shaped stone on a stout stick? You could not plant anything purposefully because agriculture changes Mother Nature. But Dobsonians fall over-ripe from trees, and we just pick them, gifts from Mother Nature.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

mikemarotta wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:34 am Not true.

I could not read the story linked from Popular Mechanics because I do not have a subscription and did not want to register. However, something like that is too big to go unrepeated. So, I googled it. It is not true. It is a misrepresentation of a proposed small experiment.

USA Today
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 310134002/

Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen ... cf9de3793b

Snopes
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/gates-block-sun/

As for the other stuff... I am surprised at the comments here. It is like the people who want dark skies for their telescopes. You have to understand that we all have affordable astronomic instruments precisely because of the Industrial Revolution. Moreover, they are all (mostly) made in China. So, China will suffer pollution, etc., but we deserve dark skies? Where is the logic in that? Having cheap powerful scientific instruments - not just telescopes or hobby microscopes: kitchen refrigerators, blenders, microwave ovens, dishwashers and clothes washers ... all of it... is changing Mother Nature. Otherwise, how would you even have a fired clay dish to eat your fire-cooked meal, killed with a purposely shaped stone on a stout stick? You could not plant anything purposefully because agriculture changes Mother Nature. But Dobsonians fall over-ripe from trees, and we just pick them, gifts from Mother Nature.
There is a distinction to be made between sustainable modifications of Nature and those that are suicidal. It isn't all or nothing at all. The scope of this (as per the scopes link) is acceptable. The idea that it could be done on a large scale is ethically repugnant to many.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:08 am There is a distinction to be made between sustainable modifications of Nature and those that are suicidal. It isn't all or nothing at all. The scope of this (as per the scopes link) is acceptable. The idea that it could be done on a large scale is ethically repugnant to many.
I understand. We recycle here at home, also. Life is a lot better since we cut down on wanton pollution, and China could do the same, for that matter. As you note, it is not all or nothing. I just prefer to err on the side of civilization and shy away from romanticizing capital-N Nature. We have a cat. Usually do. Been up to four at one time. But as much as I enjoy Miss Sunny, I remain cognizant of the fact that for most of human history, we were cat food.
Smart Kitty.jpg
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Dimming the Sun is a DIM-WITTED idea...

Polute the atmosphere to mitigate the effects of polution...?

I wonder if Gates has an interest in the vitamin and supplement markets. Vit D3 sales will be worth billions.

I fart in his general direction...😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"