Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Solar wedge Any ideas ?

Post by messier 111 »

hi all ,
I saw lunts, altair etc.
but I have no idea which one is good .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Re: Solar wedge Any ideas ?

Post by Tillibobs »

I've some Altair kit and it's all good. Contact them, they are in the vendors section and very helpful.
Keith
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I have a Lunt and it's good.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thank you , Tillibobs and notFritzArgelander .

from the research I have done so far.
it seems that the wedge gives better sharpness and more contrast,
compare with lens filters and solar film ?

is this really what is happening ?

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I started with full aperture solar film and later purchased a Lunt wedge , I do prefer the wedge not only for contrast and detail but also for ease of use and no fear of a good gust of wind removing a light weight external filter .
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Best is the 2" Baader solar wedge.
No refractor size limits like some and gives a outstanding view.

The photographic model gives you extra ND filters if you plan on doing any imaging.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:48 am Best is the 2" Baader solar wedge.
No refractor size limits like some and gives a outstanding view.

The photographic model gives you extra ND filters if you plan on doing any imaging.
I agree. Baader is better. ;) I got the Lunt because of price considerations only. I used the Baader wedge on a visit to a solar viewing seance.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

messier 111 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:07 am thank you , Tillibobs and notFritzArgelander .

from the research I have done so far.
it seems that the wedge gives better sharpness and more contrast,
compare with lens filters and solar film ?

is this really what is happening ?
Looking through a solar wedge would be like solar viewig using mylar film then using Baader solar film. Suddenly the detail stands out more and the image cleaner and clearer.
Going to a wedge increases the resolution again over the using the film.

Also as Solsearcher mentioned, you do not have to worry about wind gusts taking your filter.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

reviews are excellent for the Baader. but very expensive
the more I read the more I tend to favor the Altair so far, say.

― Isaac Asimov

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

messier 111 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:11 am reviews are excellent for the Baader. but very expensive
the more I read the more I tend to favor the Altair so far, say.
Price also varies for the Baader depending on the package. Remember it sometimes comes with a neutral density filter AND a solar continuum filter which are very useful. With my Lunt wedge I bought the Baader solar continuum filter and a Baader variable polarizing filter of good optical quality. That adds to the price a bit.

When calculating cost be sure to include the possible difference due to these being included in the Baader package and not included in the Altair or Lunt. I think those additional filters are indispensable.

There is a minor safety issue with the Lunt in terms of a heat dissipation disk at the back that can get..... well.... warm. Not enough to injure but enough to surprise you if you forget about it. Both the Baader (for sure) and the Altair (from reviews) are more thermally robust and this is not an issue. I'm happy optically with the Lunt I just am very cautious about sharing views with it.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

My only reservation if you are using this visually is the Altair only using a ND3 filter and then a polorizer to darken it more.
I would contact Altair first as for safety doing visual the ND should be around ND5. This is also the blocking of visual films.
I use my Baader with a ND3 and ND0.6 which gives just under ND5.
For imaging brighter is not an issue, at ND5 some people still feel the need to use a polorizer though.

The Baader is more expensive but you get build quality, 4 different ND filters for visual or imaging as well as the continuum filter which can be removed.
It does enhance solar, lunar and some planetary observing as well as being perfect for use when star testing telescopes as it transmits at 540 nm.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I don't own a wedge, but had an opportunity to use the Baader version at a solar public outreach a couple of years ago. That puppy is incredible.:) I really like the way it handles heat.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 am My only reservation if you are using this visually is the Altair only using a ND3 filter and then a polorizer to darken it more.
I would contact Altair first as for safety doing visual the ND should be around ND5. This is also the blocking of visual films.
I use my Baader with a ND3 and ND0.6 which gives just under ND5.
For imaging brighter is not an issue, at ND5 some people still feel the need to use a polorizer though.

The Baader is more expensive but you get build quality, 4 different ND filters for visual or imaging as well as the continuum filter which can be removed.
It does enhance solar, lunar and some planetary observing as well as being perfect for use when star testing telescopes as it transmits at 540 nm.
Hello,
thank you for helping me .
from what I understand, it is ready for the visual.

https://www.ontariotelescope.com/Altair ... _1166.html

― Isaac Asimov