NEW SETUP

Discuss solar related topics.
p1taylor Great Britain
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

NEW SETUP

Post by p1taylor »

Hi All, Have got my Lunt LS60THa/B1200 AND ZWO ASI 178MM, got scope set up with dovetail and motor focuser, do I set blocking filter out 25mmas Lunt sagest, will I need to set camera out from eyepiece, all help will be appreciated.

peter
LUNT LS 60THa WITH PRESSURE TUNER, BLOCKING FILTER B1200, Skywatcher Startravel 80T OTA, ZWO ASI 178MM, lot of bit
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: NEW SETUP

Post by Lowjiber »

Congratulations Peter!:)

You are now an official solar-head. We're easy to spot at star parties... We're the ones carrying flashlights. :lol:

I have a Lunt 60 just like yours that I've used for years. I didn't know that Lunt was now recommending a backfocus of 25mm, but that seems about right as a good place to start. Since the blocking filter adds about another 25mm to the light train, Lunt's suggestion would put you in the 50mm'ish range which is common... Especially with ASI cams.

I've used two different ASI cams on my Lunt... 174 & 120. Both work out just fine using your "suggested" backfocus.

At some point in your travel down the solar rabbit hole, you'll want to add a Barlow to get up-close-and-personal with proms, etc. A 2x will work well, but a 3x can introduce some aberrations. I've found the TeleVue Powermate lenses far surpass the traditional Barlows. A 2x or 2.5x will satisfy your needs perfectly... They are more expensive, but well worth it. Here's a link...
https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=53

We're slowly exiting the solar cycle minimum, and you've jumped in at just the right time. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your images.:)

BTW: The image in my avatar was shot with a Lunt 60 and an ASI174MM-cooled camera.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Last edited by Lowjiber on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Congrats Peter.

Yes, you'll need to pull the blocking filter out - around a length of your thumb to the first knuckle.

You'll need to experiment with camera position - I've had a 120 attached directly to the filter - but have to use a 2.5 teleview with the 174. Haven't yet used the 178 on the LS60.

But all good fun! Make the most of what's left of the season, though you'll keep the sun a bit longer in Coventry than I do in Scotland.
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
p1taylor Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by p1taylor »

Thanks for your comments, I need some help can I leave scope in observatory and just take the blocking filter out or do I need to take the scope into the house,
seeing as the weather is very rough can I setup in house and do it through a window or do I have to open it.

peter
LUNT LS 60THa WITH PRESSURE TUNER, BLOCKING FILTER B1200, Skywatcher Startravel 80T OTA, ZWO ASI 178MM, lot of bit
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

You'll have to open the window.:) Send Tillibobs (Keith) a PM . He's a Brit too and shoots through his open kitchen window all the time.

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C