Prom Processing Practice

Discuss how you are able to get those fantastic images!!!
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Prom Processing Practice

Post by Lowjiber »

I’m sure that most TSS solar-heads have seen the excellent images posted by member “solsearcher” (Mike). He has a long history with solar imaging… He was the mentor of my mentor (Tillibobs) and was the driving force behind the creation of the Solar Group in AF.

Last week, Mike and I were discussing solar image processing techniques via email. We were sending image files back-and-forth with plenty of constructive comments regarding each other’s work… Much fun during this solar minimum. One of the files Mike sent was a genuinely nice prom image that I’ll refer to as “T5”. The image represents excellent capturing skills in that the two proms are different enough to be a true test of the imager. We agreed that it might be fun for others to practice processing the image.

I was going to post this as a Processing Challenge. However, the rules for a PC call for the subject image to be a TIFF right after the stacking process is complete. This image was stacked and the wavelets were tweaked in Registax… Thus not qualifying it for a challenge.

I put the TIFF in my DropBox and it can be downloaded here…
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qapzis37vd95c9o/t5.tif?dl=0

Hopefully, others will process it and post their results and comments below. Here is my effort processed in Photoshop… Left-Click for a larger view.:)
T5 FINISHED FINALLY.jpg
Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Prom Processing Practice

Post by helicon »

Good morning and a very interesting shot John. Nice job with the processing too.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

helicon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:00 pm Good morning and a very interesting shot John. Nice job with the processing too.
Thanks. Mike took the shot. This was just my interpretation via processing.:)
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

No takers yet, so I thought I'd post a softer, more friendly version.:)
T5 SOFTER VERSION.jpg
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Well,

I will give it a shot as I'm so out of practice...
myt5.jpg
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nice job, Gordon. You certainly kept the spicules on the limb under control... Much better than I did.:)

Thanks for contributing to this thread. :text-thankyoublue:

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

Lowjiber wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:52 pm Nice job, Gordon. You certainly kept the spicules on the limb under control... Much better than I did.:)

Thanks for contributing to this thread. :text-thankyoublue:

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Thanks!

I was taught by the master!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

I had been doing this for a while now and felt that my processing tools and skills had fallen behind , I contacted John because he is up to date with processing and asked him if he would mind having a go at a couple of my raw tiff's . All I have been using is registax and the old Photoshop Elements and I wanted to see if more up to date processing methods could help my captures . The data that John posted is from August 2015 , here is my original process from back then .
Aug 9 15 j3 rev.jpg
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Lowjiber wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 pm No takers yet, so I thought I'd post a softer, more friendly version.:)
I looked at the softer, more friendly version that I posted yesterday and realized that I had inadvertently posted the one with the sky a mess. (Slaps Head :))

Here's the same shot with the sky cleaned up...
T5 SOFTER VERSION sky fixed.jpg
Sorry 'bout that error.:)
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Lowjiber wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:23 am
Lowjiber wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:46 pm No takers yet, so I thought I'd post a softer, more friendly version.:)
I looked at the softer, more friendly version that I posted yesterday and realized that I had inadvertently posted the one with the sky a mess. (Slaps Head :))

Here's the same shot with the sky cleaned up...

BTW: Since we're discussing processing, here's that same image with a touch of sharpening applied...
T5 RESIZED sharpened.jpg
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like to mention why most solar-heads capture with monochrome cameras. Monochrome not only picks up more details, but allows the person processing the image a wider range of coloring options. I'd like to demonstrate two simple ways to add color, each has its value and is totally adjustable across an infinitely wide range. (They're both easy too.:))

Here is Mike's capture directly from his camera in Greyscale. It is a perfect capture that he only adjusted it with Registax after stacking. I haven't done anything to it other than re-size for the forum.
T5 RESIZED - GREYSCALE.jpg
Below, I've made two simple applications of color... One "click" with no adjustments to either. I simply added color to Mike's shot.
T5 TWINS.jpg
The left image was colored using a Color Balance Layer in Photoshop. The advantage of using Color Balance is that the shadows, mid-tones, and highlights can be adjusted easily using the CMYK color wheel.

The right-hand image was colored using a Levels Adjustment Layer in Photoshop that allows one to adjust the RGB color scheme with the three channels.

Each of the two methods has it's place in processing, and I use them interchangeably. This all seems like gobbledygook, but it's simple as pie. I've developed a simple "Action" in PS that literally lets me apply either method with one-click. (I'll gladly share each, if anyone is interested.)