Confession

Discuss solar related topics.
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

Confession

Post by Tillibobs »

I tried to do some imaging yesterday although the sky was a milky white.
Now please bear in mind that I haven't done any imaging for almost 2 years and I'm using a new camera and a new ( to me ) capture programme. Try as I might I couldn't get the camera to talk to my laptop and the temperature was 32c. I gave up and decided to leave it for another day. I started to pack things away and noticed a black rubber stopper on the end of the camera. Yep, I'd been trying to image with the dust cover still covering the chip !!!
Does this beat John's Lens Cap boob ?
Keith.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Confession

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It puts you in good company Keith, I am sure all of us have done something similar. :)
I am looking forward to your images as well.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

As Gabby said, you are for surely in good company.

If I don’t get out every few weeks, I can guarantee something will go wrong. Usually it’s something pretty obvious when I figure it out.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Hi Keith
let me direct your attention to John's previous post , "Imaging AR 2767 Woops!"
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Yup, I still do it... I was trying to take some pics of the Sun last Wednesday, lined up my home-made Sun finder to focus on ol' Sol, and wondered why I couldn't see it through the camera's viewfinder. Well, obviously something was wrong with the Sun finder....

Nope, pulled a Lowjiber (so sorry John, but that post gave you infamy :lol:). Took off the dust cover for the scope and guess what popped into view...

You're in good company Keith!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Keith, we're both in good company as many have responded that they've done the same thing.:) Being an old surfer, I'm reminded of the saying, "There are two kinds of surfers... Those who pee in their wetsuits and those who lie about it." :lol:
Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:15 am Nope, pulled a Lowjiber (so sorry John, but that post gave you infamy :lol:).
Finally! I achieved fame in something. :lol:

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Lowjiber wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 pm Keith, we're both in good company as many have responded that they've done the same thing.:) Being an old surfer, I'm reminded of the saying, "There are two kinds of surfers... Those who pee in their wetsuits and those who lie about it." :lol:
Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:15 am Nope, pulled a Lowjiber (so sorry John, but that post gave you infamy :lol:).
Finally! I achieved fame in something. :lol:

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
“Infamy, infamy they all have it infamy” This was the immortal line spoken by Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar in Carry on Cleo.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

drock
Saturn Ambassador

Post by drock »

LOL. Many times in life, I think, we all have little moments.
Z10 Dobsonian, Starblast 4.5, a few Russell 2" Konigs, and various other eyepieces.
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

If you have never done this before you likely don't own a telescope :telescopewink:
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

My old cameras all had dust covers that went on the outside of the camera. These have covers that fit into the inside, That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :auto-dirtbike: :confusion-confused:
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

More than once I have hauled the equipment outside, set up, and started to do a 2 star alignment on the mount, and cussing all the time because things appear off when I can't see the star in the eyepiece, until I realize I have left the dust cap on the front of the scope :Astronomer1:
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association