Discuss solar related topics.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Imaging AR2767... Woops!

Post by Lowjiber »

When it comes to capturing a solar image, this ain't my first rodeo. However, today things went slightly awry.

Let me set the scene starting around 0400hrs and ending at noon. 0400hrs??? Yup! You see, it gets hot in the Mojave Desert this time of year and I get outta bed at 0300hrs anyway. The noontime temps this past week have been in the 110 - 115 range, so an early start is a wise thing in the summertime when one is only gonna take the shot between 1100 & 1200hrs (UT -8). (I refuse to do a meridian flip in the middle of the day.)

I'm "Mister Organized" when it comes to solar imaging. I have one mount that stays permanently aligned and covered out by the pool, just hoping I'll come out and play.:) So, when I wheeled out the scope and equipment box, one could almost see the mount smile... Not today, Tonto.

By 0420hrs, the entire rig, including the imaging computer in its box, was good-to-go. My target today was AR2767... a rare (these days) sunspot that's been coming off the east limb for three days. You're mine, Sucker! Nothing to do for six hours, when I'll jump on that AR like a duck on a June-bug and be having a beer twenty minutes later. HA!

1100hrs (UT -8)... The magic moment has arrived! The air is clean and cloudless with only a slight breeze blowing... Outside Air Temp is only 106 deg (F), still a hot day. Center the sun in the Sol-Searcher; turn on the mount, cam, and Quark... Wait ten minutes for the Quark and cam to reach their set temps and shoot the darn thing. (Don't look... you don't need to.) HA!

About ten minutes later, I sit down and stick my head in the box. The computer had gone to sleep, but a quick movement of the mouse brought up SharpCap that had already been pre-set with the proper cam temp (-4 deg C, check!) and the settings to shoot the target (Easy Peasy, No Problemo!).

As the author, Tom Robbins, once wrote, "“And then the rains came. They came down from the hills and up from the sound. And it rained a sickness. And it rained a fear." The screen view was BLACK! No sun, no skylight, no NUTHIN! Huh? Impossible, I'm thinking.

Software is working fine displaying cam temp, etc. Histogram is crammed to the left (black) side... not good. Pulling my head outta the box, a quick check showed the sun smack in the middle of the SolSearcher, green ready light on Quark is glowing, camera fan whirling away. This can't be, after all I'm a cowboy in this rodeo and it isn't my first. HA!

Back in the box... Driving the RA & Dec around like crazy, to the point that the SolSearcher said, "Huh?" I'm thinking the cam is somewhere out-to-lunch. No Problemo! I have another one just waiting-in-the-wings for this very moment. New cam? No help... screen still black. (Arrgh!)

By now, I'm hot... mentally & physically. I should have been done with this capture, but have a black screen. No Problemo! The laptop is somehow screwed up... Light bulb illuminates in my brain. Grab the other laptop (which has all the capture software on-board) and solve the problem. Nope! Same-same-water buffalo!

This all resulted in another hour & a half of "guessing" and sweating. I even pulled the Quark out of the scope... black, no light coming through. The scope is fine... The UV/IR-cut filter is permanently installed. Nothing. By now, I'm really HOT and more than a little frustrated. The only thing that made me give up was the fact that the weight bar was approaching parallel, and I'm not about to to a flip as the sun heads for the hills to the west.

A quick dip in the pool to cool off, and I'm putting everything away. My wife was sitting in the air-conditioned gazebo playing poker. She had been watching my frantic activity and my almost constant cussing the whole time. As I'm removing the computer from the box, she said, "Why is the black cover on the scope?" What!!! The aperture cover on the Skywatcher scopes is recessed and not visible from the rear of the scope. I had left it on the darn scope... No wonder the screen was black, the light path never entered. (My forehead is now noticeably flat from the pounding I gave it.)

So, there you have it. My admission of stupidity. Lesson Learned... Don't do that again. LOL :Astronomer1:
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Imaging AR2767... Woops!

Post by notFritzArgelander »

A sad and funny tale. :( :) I'm sure we've all done something similar. I know I have.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

hot dam, baffalos and quarks ,haha ,ya gona need a big fridge memo ''have you taken your cap off today"
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Caddman United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Caddman »

It could be worse. A friend of mine fell asleep in the middle of the night. He didn't put the end cap on his dob. He woke up mid morning to people shouting that his scope was on fire. Apparently, it fried the secondary and the eyepiece.
At least your equipment is still intact.
Glenn

Telescopes; Stellarvue SVA130T, WO GT71, Orion SkyQuest XT10, Orion 10" f/3.9 Astrograph
Mounts; Atlas EQ-G, Celestron CGX-L
Binoculars; Oberwerk LW 11 X 70, Oberwerk 25 X 100
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Sounds a bit like my evening! I was hot but not due to the temperature. I even deleted the guide program and re-installed it only to discover I did what you did! Misery luvs company huh!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Tillibobs Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Tillibobs »

:think: We've all been there John don't worry about it. I'm almost dreading imaging again, it's been so long since my last attempt that Im certain to drop a clanger ! :twitch:
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Been there...done it!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Greenman »

Oh, yeah been there; when I set up the scope put in the parameters calibrated on all the right stars then GOTO; stood back and watched as my scope pointed accurately at the ground. Went back Recalibrated - ta da - same thing. In frustration went to put it away “Stoopid Mount” I muttered.

Just thought; I would check the parameters Site: Longitude 53.24 Latitude 1.03...

Hang on a minute.. D’oh. Just off the coast in Cameroon Africa, if you want to know.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Update... The next day. :Astronomer1:

After the stupid mistake yesterday, I was a man-on-a-mission the next day. It literally took me less than thirty minutes, setup to tear down, to catch that bugger.

Posted here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=12134
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C