Coronado PST

Discuss solar related topics.
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Coronado PST

Post by LDW47 »

I will probably buy a WL filter first and if I like its performance will proceed and get a wedge ?
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

LDW47 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:49 am I will probably buy a WL filter first and if I like its performance will proceed and get a wedge ?
If you have a WL filter you don't need a wedge. If you have a wedge you don't need a WL filter.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I have used many different styles of white light filtering (glass, mylar and different films) and have found the Baader solar film gives the best resolution.
I have been using the Baader Herschel wedge for around a decade now, the absolute best views I have seen for white light and I have used it in refractors from 80mm up to a 250mm f/12.
I use different combinations of ND 0.6, Baader Continuum filter and B+W linear polarizer
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:52 am
LDW47 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:49 am I will probably buy a WL filter first and if I like its performance will proceed and get a wedge ?
If you have a WL filter you don't need a wedge. If you have a wedge you don't need a WL filter.
I understand but why pay $400+ when I can pay $100 to see if it is worthwhile doing WL, if I like it I can then get a wedge !
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Also what are some of the types / brands of finders available to use to locate the sun in my refractor ? What do all prefer ?
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Baader film is a good place to start from.
If deciding to upgrade to a Baader wedge I would suggest looking at the photographic version for slightly more variation in options.

I have a solar cover for my Telrad but normally just use the shadow method.
When the telescope is pointed at the sun the telescope tube shadow is smallest.

If making a film filter there should be enough left to also make a filter for a RACI style finder.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:49 pm The Baader film is a good place to start from.
If deciding to upgrade to a Baader wedge I would suggest looking at the photographic version for slightly more variation in options.

I have a solar cover for my Telrad but normally just use the shadow method.
When the telescope is pointed at the sun the telescope tube shadow is smallest.

If making a film filter there should be enough left to also make a filter for a RACI style finder.
The problem is that I don’t use a finder scope on any of my scopes, I don’t need them for viewing but with the sun I will !
LDW47 Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by LDW47 »

Also is there any ‘ best ‘ time of day to view the sun ? I will be viewing over grass !
Solsearcher Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Solsearcher »

Generally before lunchtime is good , after that the planet starts to heat up and these heat waves will effect the view and make the sun to appear to be boiling . Finding the sun is very easy , follow what Lady Fractor said and use the shadow of the scope . Using the 2 axis swing the scope on each axis and lock it when it casts the smallest shadow . If you are using a filter mounted to the aperture you can remove the diagonal and hold a piece of paper a short distance from the end of the scope , if you are lined up a white circle will appear on the paper . A word of caution , if you try this without the filter in place you will easily burn through the paper !!
Solar scopes (Coronado Ha) 60mm double stack , 90mm double stack , 150mm single stack .
W/L scope Williams Optic Megrez 110mm / Lunt herschel wedge .
Night scope Celestron 9.25 XLT
Mounts HEQ6 , HEQ5 , Losmandy G8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There are various peep sights you can make to align your telescope as well but the shadow method is quick and works well.
One thing I do while aligning is after placing either the filter on the front or wedge in the focuser do not insert an eyepiece.
Use the shadow method to align and to confirm you are on target look in the diagonal to center the solar disk.
Early morning is a great time to view but if the day has been fairly cool anytime is good. Late evening can be a good viewing time as well depending on your surroundings.