Proposal - Live Virtual Star Party?

See sub forums
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Proposal - Live Virtual Star Party?

Post by AstroBee »

I'm not sure where to post this or if the site mods can chime in and move this to a more appropriate location. Maybe site mods can take over this idea but I'm happy to run with it.
Here's what I'm thinking.
We pick a date and everyone that can, joins in and shares either a live-stream link or images taken THAT day and night. Yes, we can even get the solar imagers in on this.
If we have members around the world we could make this a 24hr event. Obviously, it's going to be day and night at different times for everyone and some locations will be cloudy but I think we could pull this off.
My local club has been doing virtual star parties for a while now since Covid hit us. Everyone could promote the event via their local astronomy clubs.
We could maybe do this on April 22nd which is Earth Day this year?

Thoughts?
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Proposal - Live Virtual Star Party?

Post by SkyHiker »

Great idea. Like your astronomy club, mine also has online meetings (weekly). The participants are an offspring from the DIY / mirror making and testing subgroup. We submit topics to talk about then the moderator streamlines it. That way it does not turn into casual chat and does not become chaotic. In these Covid times it is very nice to have some online face time with club members.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

I'm game. Sounds fun.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That does sound like fun 🙂
I'm in.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

OK, two west-coasters and I'm in Nevada. We just need to get some particpants across the globe to make sure we have some clear weather and then decide on a date.
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

Québec Canada is in to .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Sounds like a great idea!

Could you, or anyone with experience, post up a quick summary of how to go about live streaming for those of us who are new to it please?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I could do this on Zoom. This past week I did my first Zoom live stream of my telescope imaging the Moon in real time. It work out really well. I'm in - but I will have to say that I only have a 12% chance of a clear night. Zoom requires a license and the number of connections is part of the price one has to pay for. I only have DSL (Digital Subscriber Line - essentially over the phone) so I could not handle multiple connections - even if I wanted to. I don't know of any free streaming services - but that's just my ignorance showing.

Installing zoom is really easy - just go to zoom.org and download for your OS. I have it on both Windblows (7) and Linux. Easy peasy.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

This is an idea the team recently discussed. But we would need someone to take on the task....

@AstroBee Would you like to tackle it?
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I would suggest that when setting up dates, to be cognizant of the lunar phase. While there are many who observe the moon regularly, there are also many, like myself, who only observe when the moon is not a deterrent to observation of DSOs. Having the moon available is good for some, but not so much so for others. Just a thought.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

It sounds interesting
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I will look into it Gordon. I know with Zoom, the free account, you are limited to only a few people at once and I believe there is a 45-minute time limit.
If I'm able to perhaps only pay for one month of the upgraded service instead of some sort of a contract, I'd be willing to foot the bill for a single month. I'll look into costs.

Regarding internet speeds as StarDad with DSL is concerned, you are not responsible for the streaming of everyone connected, only your own feed. So as long as you are able to stream yourself, if you've attended a Zoom meeting in the past, then you would have no trouble participating in the event.

Alan's concerns regarding the moon are legitimate. I think if we scheduled it on an evening with a fairly new crescent moon, that would give those with only lunar or planetary capabilities the possibility of joining in on the fun. Then after a couple of hours after sunset, the moon would not be a consideration.

I think it would be awesome to try and coordinate a 24-hour event with people around the world and include some solar imagers too but maybe as a first test we limit it to 6 hours or so and that would probably limit the event to only a single hemisphere. If we can pull that off then we could expand to a 24hr event. UT time will have to be the standard.

Thoughts?
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

AstroBee wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:16 pm
Alan's concerns regarding the moon are legitimate. I think if we scheduled it on an evening with a fairly new crescent moon, that would give those with only lunar or planetary capabilities the possibility of joining in on the fun. Then after a couple of hours after sunset, the moon would not be a consideration.

Thoughts?
That would work well. Besides, the moon is more interesting during its waxing up to first quarter. You get a lot of shadows which serves to enhance the experience. I will observe with a crescent moon in the western sky by observing more toward the east and northeast, which limits its impact to what I am doing. In that way, it gives something for everyone.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I might do a little YouTube LiveStream tonight from around 7p-9p PDT (Monday Jan.25th 03:00 UTC) I'll edit this post with a link later if anyone wants to join in and chat. Not the same as the interactivity of a Zoom call but it works for a single person streaming to many.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

A little test stream tonight. It's a bit windy but I'm just fooling around anyway.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I had a great virtual meeting yesterday with Gordon and Graeme here regarding this event. A couple of things we discussed are as follows.
1. We do an initial short 1-2 hr test meeting amongst a few of the mods just to get the flow down pat.
2. Then we open it up to the forum for a 5-6 hour event that would probably be timed for evening viewers here in the states. Of course, anyone on the "Daylight" side of the planet at that time could also join in with some solar viewing.
3. Then we get really ambitious and try to run a 24-hour event with contributors from all over the globe. The long event would, or could, include not just electronic observations but maybe get some of the vendors involved in doing demos of their products or we have "learning" sessions that last an hour or so on different Astro programs such as SharpCap, NINA, etc...

Looking for feedback from those that are interested in assisting in an event like this. Any ideas will be considered.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

The weather is looking nice here tonight which is a break from the horrible weather we've had this week. I may be going online again if anyone wants to join in. Probably around 6:30 pm PST (02:30 UT Sun.1/31)
I'll try and remember to come back here and provide a link. Would love to chat with anyone in the YouTube chat if you feel like it. At least say hello so I know I'm not talking to myself. :D
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I will try to pop in.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I was able to jump on the the live YouTube presentation yesterday evening. I learned a lot of tips and tricks that I had heard about but never seen in action. I was impressed with the quality of images taken while live stacking. It's something I will be doing now.

Thanks @AstroBee (Greg) for taking the time to put this together!!!
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.