Earliest (good) evidence of a death by meteorite

See sub forums
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Earliest (good) evidence of a death by meteorite

Post by Chich »

I'm a bit of a history buff and while looking through one of my favourite blogs I came across this post on (the) Earliest (good) evidence of a death by meteorite. It was on August 22nd 1888 in what is now Sulaymaniyah Iraq. The reports are 3 letters starting with the local area governor and ending with a cc to the Sultan asking what to do about the event. One man was killed and another paralyzed.

Not a lot of details but as the article states, these were essentially bureaucratic reports with no sensationalism which only adds to their believably.

Not sure about the stated odds of being killed by a meteorite though. Seems low to me.

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/58476
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
oscaletrains

Re: Earliest (good) evidence of a death by meteorite

Post by oscaletrains »

Well, they probably never knew what hit them...
mikelangelo
Earth Ambassador

Post by mikelangelo »

I've just started my research project about this fact.
Just enjoy my life, people, and you.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

"... but as the article states, these were essentially bureaucratic reports with no sensationalism which only adds to their believably."

Things can change by time and place but in graduate school (2009) I had a class in complex organizations and the professor started us with a bit about Rome but then dove deep in the Islamic Caliphate. A true bureaucracy is essential for an empire because each item of information (each piece of paper) must move from desk to desk on its own merits independent of the family ties of the originator. I would accept the report as valid.

Ann Hodges (Sylacauga, Alabama, 1954) is still regarded as the only "known person" struck by a meteorite. Your report did not name the victims. So, she wins. However, Astronomy magazine has this online about other events.

https://astronomy.com/news/2020/05/deat ... meteorites
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial