TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

11" SCT buying advice?

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

I am at that stage now to get an Celestron 11" SCT. I will be mounting this on top of my Skywatcher EQ6-R (Mainly for Planetary and Lunar imagaing) I don't think my mount would handle DSO with it so I am going to go for the 11" XLT.

Now what should I look for and look out for if buying used? I see the Fiberglass ones going for around $1000-$1200, is that because they are older? And used XLT's going for around $1500

Now if you had the choice to buy a used 2-3 year old 11" XLT in great condition for around $1500 or brand new one for around $1800 what would it be? If you had the extra $300 to spare.

Also Has Celestron made any improvements for the brand new 11" SCT XLT? or would it be just the same as a 2-3 year old one model.

Thanks all :)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Re: 11" SCT buying advice?

Post by Refractordude »

Is the used telescope still under warranty? Is the warranty transferable? I would not put out that much cash for a scope not under warranty. That's just me.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The optics and coatings will be the same between the two.
If the price difference is only $300USD I would get the new one with a full two year warranty.
Used should be a lower price than that.

Do you mean carbon fibre tubes? They are nice for imaging as the tubes do not expand or contract like aluminium tubes but they do take longer to cool.
$1000-1200USD is a more reasonable price for a used one only a few years old.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Thanks FractorDude and Lady Fraktor,

Those are good points and was considering the warranty would be better if it was only $300 or so more. As far as the carbon fiber tubes, I did see some that sold for around $1000-$1200 and was wondering why they were cheaper thinking it was a higher grade material and was wondering if it was because of the ago. I saw one that was 10 years old for about $1000 that sold. So if I saw a Carbon Fiber that is only a few years old for around that price, then I wouldn't mind the cool down if the scope seemed to be in nice condition.

But optical performance wise, are they pretty much the same except for the material and the carbon fiber better for expansion and contraction?

Thanks again :)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Unless it is a aplanatic version all of the standard SCTs will be the same quality.

Carbon fibre tends to expand/ contract less than aluminium and also in a more linear fashion.
Just be aware that the large carbon fibre tubes can take a looong time to acclimate depending on temperature differences.
There have been many tests done on this if you are bored and want to find them :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people