Request pleasant discussion of med/large CATs for visual use.

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Request pleasant discussion of med/large CATs for visual use.

Post by notFritzArgelander »

AntennaGuy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:26 pm
AntennaGuy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:49 pm
If I understand you correctly, you think you can (more or less) model the optics in these subject telescopes, apparently based on published example/textbook designs that can reasonably substitute for the (presumably proprietary) actual designs (i.e., the manufacturer's designs for purposes of production) of these telescopes? Is that right?
That's not how I would put the nature of the exercise. If you prefer something that has a flat field to it, the classical Cassegrain might not be as flat as you might like. A comparison with a generic SCT might be interesting. The degree to which the designs are proprietary seems to be small in terms of performance. There seems to be no difference in performance between Meade and Celestron performance in design apart from debatable quality control issues. Anyway the point would be to something more reliable than comparing textbook designs at an aperture that is irrelevant.

I withdraw the suggestion of computing an aplanat SCT. I looked in detail at what I had as a basis for the layout and I don't think it's close enough. There are too many degrees of freedom in the optics in the baffle tube. But the design of a CC is fixed. So is the design for a visually optimized SCT. There not much proprietary there that the performance would be far off at least at f10. I don't propose doing an f8.
Thanks for that explanation. I would certainly be interested, and likewise appreciate your generosity in doing/providing such computations!
Well, I am interested in the results for my own purposes. The only extra work is porting the results from the Windows modeling machine to this Mac for export.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5