Beginner looking for £200/£250 budget telescope

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
samavfc123
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Beginner looking for £200/£250 budget telescope

Post by samavfc123 »

Hi All,

Been looking for ages for a telescope within my £200 budget and been struggling. i found these teelscopes:

Celestron 31051 AstroMaster 130EQ Reflector Telescope Motor Drive

Skywatcher Explorer-130M 130mm (5.1") f/900 Motorised Newtonian Reflector Telescope 10713

I heard negative reviews on the Celestron and quite a few good ones on the Skywatcher.

I would also love to get into Astrophotography too but realise it will cost a lot of money.

Anyone have any recommendations on telescopes within my budget or even up to £250, if it includes astrophotography, even better!

Please let me know.
chrisnasah
Earth Ambassador

Re: Beginner looking for £200/£250 budget telescope

Post by chrisnasah »

Hi All,

Same as above, any suggestions will be welcome. I am currently leaning towards a Celestron 31051 AstroMaster 130EQ Reflector due to the price.

Thanks
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

There are always exceptions and differing opinions, but...

Celestron used to be a premier brand. I have an old C8 that's bulletproof. However, from what I've read, they have now major quality control issues. My only recent experience with that is two sets of crappy Skymaster 15x70 binos. Others will chime in.

I've heard good things about SW but don't own one. However, there's a good chance I'll buy a SW Maksutov for lunar eventually. I would not buy a C-tron or a Meade.

In general, electronics can be finicky, so maybe a manual mount would be a better first choice. Also, while collimation is supposed to be quite easy (check YouTube), I'm not sure I'd go with a reflector for my first scope because it adds one more layer of complication. I don't know, YMMV and JMO.

AP is generally done with a refractor or at least it seems the majority of people use fracs for AP now.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
JimMinCT United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JimMinCT »

I'm going to be a bit of a downer, (read realist), here...
Most of the lower end scopes you find have a number of issues with them.
Cheap parts, shaky mounts, bad glass, not to mention unrealistic expectations printed right on the box! (900x, anyone?)
Your best bet, is scouring the used market.
A mid-sized Dob, will be your biggest bang for the buck. No questions asked. But AP will not be anything close to easy with a Dob.
Planets and very bright DSO's will be about what you can expect to image. But some have gotten excellent shots from a Dob. Just takes a ton of effort to get them.
I would avoid nearly every one of the scopes you listed for one of the reasons or another listed above.

Good Luck in your quest... Remember, used scopes come up all the time. Patience can be very rewarding.
OTA's: Kson 1026-C, 4" Carbon Fiber ED Refractor, Home-built, 6.1", f/2.? APO refractor... (In Progress) 8" Meade LX2 SCT Mounts: CGX Imaging: ZWO ASI 1600MM, Canon 550D (T2i) Software: PixInsight, APT, PHD2, SharpCap, SGP, Stellarium, Registax, Stuff: Astro-Tech 0.8x FR/FF, Hotech SCA FF, ZWO 7nm 31mm LRGB-SHO filter set, ZWO 8 position EFWObsy: "Maybe Spaceship" Observatory
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Probably should caution OP to inspect used equipment in person if possible or buy from a vendor that takes returns. If you buy from a random person on the Net, sight unseen, you can get burned. I'm not saying don't from the classifieds, etc., but there are scammers out there as well as people who know nothing about astro gear. Just be an aware shopper.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

All beginner telescope packages are built to a price point and as long as you realize that some parts will need to be improved or replaced over time to get the most out of them they are a reasonable place to start out.
Skywatcher and Celestron are both made by the Synta company. Skywatcher is their house brand with Celestron being a American/ Chinese conglomeration.
Depending on the size of SCT it will either be made in USA or China with refractors and Newtonian being supplied by whomever they contract to.
Optics in both are normally quite good even in the lower cost offerings with the accessories and mounts being the weak points with beginner offerings.

The Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars have had a bad reputation for loosing collimation from the time they started production but normally can be aligned fairly easily if needed.

Without modifying the 130mm Newtonian you will likely not be able to reach focus with a camera, normally the mirror is moved up in the tube but then it is not good for visual anymore.
A small refractor is a better choice for doing AP.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:48 pm There are always exceptions and differing opinions, but...

Celestron used to be a premier brand. I have an old C8 that's bulletproof. However, from what I've read, they have now major quality control issues. My only recent experience with that is two sets of crappy Skymaster 15x70 binos. Others will chime in.

I've heard good things about SW but don't own one. However, there's a good chance I'll buy a SW Maksutov for lunar eventually. I would not buy a C-tron or a Meade.

In general, electronics can be finicky, so maybe a manual mount would be a better first choice. Also, while collimation is supposed to be quite easy (check YouTube), I'm not sure I'd go with a reflector for my first scope because it adds one more layer of complication. I don't know, YMMV and JMO.

AP is generally done with a refractor or at least it seems the majority of people use fracs for AP now.
SW, Meade and Celestron do not make their products they outsource, often from the same factories. You should evaluate product by product and not brand by brand. As we any mass produced goods there might be a lemon here and there, but generally CATs and Maks OTAs are of good quality no matter what brand you pick.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

JimMinCT wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:13 pm I'm going to be a bit of a downer, (read realist), here...
Most of the lower end scopes you find have a number of issues with them.
Cheap parts, shaky mounts, bad glass, not to mention unrealistic expectations printed right on the box! (900x, anyone?)
Your best bet, is scouring the used market.
A mid-sized Dob, will be your biggest bang for the buck. No questions asked. But AP will not be anything close to easy with a Dob.
Planets and very bright DSO's will be about what you can expect to image. But some have gotten excellent shots from a Dob. Just takes a ton of effort to get them.
I would avoid nearly every one of the scopes you listed for one of the reasons or another listed above.

Good Luck in your quest... Remember, used scopes come up all the time. Patience can be very rewarding.
Jim nailed it. In your price range you can't by a lifetime scope. Instead you can get beginner scope, try the hobby out and if it sticks invest later more money in a better quality scope and accessories. As such don't agonize too much about it. 6"-8" DOB or a small refractor would be sensible choices. With any of these you could snap afocal shots of Moon and such with your phone. Any better astrophotography requires substantial investments.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

This is a good starter scope in your price range. It needs no collimation. It will be just as bright as a 130mm mirror reflector. The mount is more stable and easier to use than a low price eq mount. Click the two images.
Attachments
image 2.PNG
image 1.PNG
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

There's a specific problem with the Astromaster, in that it's of a design called a 'Bird Jones' which adds a lens into the optics. This makes it difficult to adjust the collimation - so you are likely to have problems with getting and keeping the alignment at its best.

Personally, in the price range you're looking at, I would always look for a manual telescope rather than motorised. If the budget has to be split between a motorised mount and the optics, both will be of reduced quality. Going for a Manual mount will allow more of the budget to go on the optics.

Refractordude's suggestion is good, but you might also want to consider a 150mm Dobsonian, or if you go a little higher, you could get a 200mm for about £290.
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
BigKahuna United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BigKahuna »

Have you considered the used market? I've had good luck this way. Some people buy telescopes and get bored with them right away. I purchased a Meade ETX-90EC with great views for $100. It was in the original box in a lady's basement for years. 3 of my 4 telescopes were purchased used for excellent prices.
Telescopes/Mounts : Explore Scientific ED102 or Celestron C6N on AVX, 8SE OTA on ASGT, NexStar 114GT/AZ, Meade ETX-90EC w/ Observer Base, Orion XT10i
Binoculars: Pentax 10x50
Camera : ZWO 533MC Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T6, ZWO ASI224MC

Clear Skies,
Ron
Member ASTRA-NJ