Discuss your 'Cats' here.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Hi guys, just bought my first scope, lucky me it is a mak

Post by Ylem »

Get yourself a 24mm 68° EP
Mine is an older Orion, don't think they sell it anymore.
But Explore Scientific and others do. It will give you nice wide fields and good eye relief. A 32mm plossl will give a similar view.

Then maybe a 10 or 12mm for higher powers. IMHO I would not go below a 10mm with a Mak.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Stonesinthesky
Earth Ambassador

Post by Stonesinthesky »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 pm I've already provided a recommendation that you filter the Sun at the front of the scope. It's the only way to do it safely in a folded optics scope like yours. The fact that sunlight makes a double pass inside the scope makes it absolutely imperative to filter at the front end.

I find the GSO 0.5x focal reducers useful on Mak scopes.

Baader Planetarium makes good filters that don't degrade images like cheap filters do.
Yup...that filter is in my shopping cart, again thank you.

I would love to get a bit closer in on objects.... as it is, this will clearly just be a viewing scope...

I finally got it out tonight!!!!wow so excited!!!
I caught a super quick glimpse of the crescent moon right on the horizon... absolutely awesome, will need a wider eyepiece for that for sure, as the moon barely fit in the field with the current one.
Got an awesome look at Jupiter red bands and three moons clearly visible.
And got a very good look at Saturn too could see 2 sets of rings around it..
Overall awesome night out...
Got a bunch more questions now...
My scope fogged up the lens pretty bad, the OTA was freezing cold to the touch, I couldn't see poop out the finder for foggy lens as well... what can I do to meditate all the fog?
Sure wish I could take photos, but with this rig, and no dslr I have nothing for tou guys...

I will admit, this was a grab and go night, finally stopped raining and the clouds parted(for the most part) and I ran out to see what I could see.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I use a cheap portable rechargeable battery hair drier. Sparingly!
A dew shield can be made from black matte construction paper.

If it came with a dew shield that is more substantial Kendrick has goodies. https://www.kendrickastro.com/

Glad you had a good first night out!
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Greg6498
Earth Ambassador

Post by Greg6498 »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:08 am It looks to me like you got a good price for a used optical tube but that you didn't get the mount that comes standard. With the other stuff in the kit you got a good deal if the optics are OK.

First thing is to get a proper mount for it. The series 4000 eyepieces are decent and Mak Cass scopes are very forgiving on eyepieces. You'll want things in the range of 15-30 mm focal length. Very rarely you might get away with 7.5mm.

But the mount comes first IMO.

Careful abut sun filters! With that scope you want a filter that covers the front of the scope like this https://optcorp.com/products/astrozap-s ... ade-etx125
Hello and welcome! I also have a Mak. It’s a Celestron 180mm but you really need a decent mount to enjoy its full potential! Maybe an Advanced VX (this is what I have) or an EQ5. You are going to be wowed at the views you are going to get!

Greg
Celestron 7” 180mm Maksutov Williams Optics 2” Rotolock Mirrored Dielectric Diagonl Celestron Advanced VX EQ Mount Skywatcher 8” Collapsible Dobsonian with an Explore Scientific 8x50 Polar Illuminated Erect Image Finder Scope Explore Scientific 34mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Baader Morpheus 12.5 mm eyepieceExplore Scientific 18mm 68 Degree Eyepiece Explore Scientific 6.7mm Eyepiece
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:07 am I use a cheap portable rechargeable battery hair drier. Sparingly!
A dew shield can be made from black matte construction paper.
You can also make one out of craft foam - thin foam rubber sheets, come in a multitude of colors including black. About $1.00 for a 8x10-ish 1/4-in sheet at HolLob, Michael's, etc.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Stonesinthesky wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:11 am I an pretty excited to have bought this as my first, as I didn't want to be deterred by poor visibility and grainy photos...I bought a meade etx125...
I can't wait to get out and start looking... have a boat load to learn. Hoping this is the place to do it.
I pick it up tomorrow.
It has a crappy mount, that I hope I can upgrade later, just a Manfrotto tripod and manfrotto 3130 video mount.
Comes with a 07210 #932 45° erect image roof prism, a 07427 #825 8x25mm right angle view finder, a Series4000 07175-03 26mm lp super plossl, and a meade electronic eyepiece.
Hoping I wasn't hosed on the price ($200cdn) but either way really looking forward to starting a new hobby...

Is there any other eyepieces or corrector lenses etc that I should buy to further enhance my enjoyment?
I am hoping to get a sun and moon filter. Not sure what I should be looking for or purchasing though...

Any help would be awesome.
Maks are great, especially the ETX 125. I bought my GoTo Meade 125 Mak about five years ago along with an equatorial wedge. I toyed with the idea of doing some astro-photography, especially lunar and planetary but there were a lot of distractions in my life at the time so I mostly used it for visual work. But watch out, this hobby is extremely addictive! Next thing I knew I'm buying a bigger 180mm SkyMax Mak tube assembly, then a complete Celestron CPC 8-inch setup, then a Skywatcher Quattro f/4 8-inch, then a Meade f/10 8-inch SCT OTA (used), then an Explore Scientific 127mm f/7 APO refractor … well, you get the picture. Each one has its place in the pantheon of Hankmeister's eyes-on-the-sky most enjoyable hobby. But the 125 Mak should give you years of great enjoyment. Actually it's a very powerful optical instrument … and precision made. My only advice going forward, always hold out for the best eyepieces you can on your budget (heh, some eyepieces cost more than some of my telescopes so I'm not saying to only go after the bestest of the best) and generally you can't go wrong with some of the name brand Super Plossls that are out there. Most of my night viewing is with a DSLR camera but I've looked through some of DonQuixote's 'scopes using some very nice eyepieces that range from $75 to $400 and boy the performance of some of those eyepieces is simply astonishing compared to entry level glass. The Meade 1.25 inch 4000 and 5000 series eyepieces and the Luminos series generally prove to be affordable upgrades though I'm now partial to 2 inch Q70 and Baader Morpheus eyepieces myself with my 8 and 10-inch SCTs and 180mm Mak. Do some online research about what works best with Maks and you may be able to find gently used higher-end eyepieces for a good price on eBay or some astronomy forums. Just do a bit of research before committing to buying your next quality eyepiece. I personally prefer 70 to 80 degree afov eyepieces in the 8mm to 24mm range to get my most bang for the buck in visual astronomy. Well, that's my two cents!
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
man1
Moon Ambassador

Post by man1 »

Hello there and Welcome to the Forum....
Enjoy your new telescope, I am new as well but I can't help you deciding what options to get to enhance your scope.

Clear skies
Cheers, man1
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C
Stonesinthesky
Earth Ambassador

Post by Stonesinthesky »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Maks are great, especially the ETX 125. I bought my GoTo Meade 125 Mak about five years ago along with an equatorial wedge. I toyed with the idea of doing some astro-photography, especially lunar and planetary but there were a lot of distractions in my life at the time so I mostly used it for visual work. But watch out, this hobby is extremely addictive! Next thing I knew I'm buying a bigger 180mm SkyMax Mak tube assembly, then a complete Celestron CPC 8-inch setup, then a Skywatcher Quattro f/4 8-inch, then a Meade f/10 8-inch SCT OTA (used), then an Explore Scientific 127mm f/7 APO refractor … well, you get the picture. Each one has its place in the pantheon of Hankmeister's eyes-on-the-sky most enjoyable hobby. But the 125 Mak should give you years of great enjoyment. Actually it's a very powerful optical instrument … and precision made. My only advice going forward, always hold out for the best eyepieces you can on your budget (heh, some eyepieces cost more than some of my telescopes so I'm not saying to only go after the bestest of the best) and generally you can't go wrong with some of the name brand Super Plossls that are out there. Most of my night viewing is with a DSLR camera but I've looked through some of DonQuixote's 'scopes using some very nice eyepieces that range from $75 to $400 and boy the performance of some of those eyepieces is simply astonishing compared to entry level glass. The Meade 1.25 inch 4000 and 5000 series eyepieces and the Luminos series generally prove to be affordable upgrades though I'm now partial to 2 inch Q70 and Baader Morpheus eyepieces myself with my 8 and 10-inch SCTs and 180mm Mak. Do some online research about what works best with Maks and you may be able to find gently used higher-end eyepieces for a good price on eBay or some astronomy forums. Just do a bit of research before committing to buying your next quality eyepiece. I personally prefer 70 to 80 degree afov eyepieces in the 8mm to 24mm range to get my most bang for the buck in visual astronomy. Well, that's my two cents!

Thankyou, some of the best advice I have gotten so far
Stonesinthesky
Earth Ambassador

Post by Stonesinthesky »

Made myself a nice dew shield from a piece of ergo glitter mat that I bought at the dollar store... it covers the entire ota and extends about 5" past... thanks again for thr advice... wish I could post pics here..I feel like I have got some good ones lately