New to 10-inch Meade SCT

Discuss your 'Cats' here.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

New to 10-inch Meade SCT

Post by mikemarotta »

I borrowed one from my local club. I read the user manual before I set the telescope on the dining room table to work with it. Aside from everything, what should I be paying special attention to that nobody warns you about?

Thanks.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: New to 10-inch Meade SCT

Post by mikemarotta »

It took about three hours. I set up indoors. We have storms and more to come. So, this was my opportunity to take all the time I needed, as the sky is clouded for the next week. I went to this website https://www.physics.uci.edu/~observat/t ... altaz.html to find out the same information said differently. I work as a technical writer and whoever wrote the instructions for this for Meade never actually used it for the first time.

Getting my longitude and latitude today is a lot simpler than it was back in 1996 when the user manual was written. The same is true of the time, North, and leveling. My iPhone is very helpful.

Anyway, by knowing where Mars, Aldebaran, and M44 are, I was able to see that the telescope works.

There is no way to level the plate except by extending or retracting the legs of the tripod, which is nearly impossible and was absolutely impossible for me. The telescope weighs 61 lbs (27-28 kg).(The tripod a mere 20 lbs; 9 kg. Tipping it is neglibile compared to the moment arm ("leverage") of the instrument.) You cannot loosen a leg, adjust it and read the bubble while holding the dead weight steady. At least, I cannot. Right now, on my living room floor, it is centered. Outdoors, it is going to sink unevenly. I did nothing to center it, actually. When I started the bubble was off to one side and low. Handiling the telescope, I saw that it rocked a little. When I checked the vertical axis screw and gave it another twist, the bubble aligned.

Overall, it is a bear to handle, just because of the small dimensions and large weight. I was told by our equipment chair that once I have it set up outside, most Texas nights are not a problem. Once the covers are all in place, I can put a tarpaulin or something better over it.
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Meade website lists the 10" as 26lbs?
I always level the tripod first and if set up on grass will put some body weight on it to help settle it then adjust if needed.
Afterwards mount the tube.
If the ground is very soft you could put down small squares of wood to set the tripod on.

Enjoy the views when you can.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I leveled it and initialized it again. I approximated the location of Regulus and then sent it to find Arcturus and Aldebaran. It worked close enough for indoors.

Lady Fraktor, yes, thanks for the recommendation. We have some 1-foot x 1-foot (0.3 meter) garden tles in the garage. I am anticipating the great views.
The attached JPEG is small, but the PDF is OK. They are out-takes from the user manual.
Attachments
Specifications (3).jpg
specifications wgts2.pdf
(508.46 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Michael E. Marotta
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Congratulations on the borrowed mount Mike.

I'm not familiar with the Meade mount but if the layout is similar to my CGX then Polar Alignment altitude adjustment is tricky when trying to look through the eyepiece at a Southern star. The knob is easier to reach when aligning on a more Northerly star.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 am ... then Polar Alignment altitude adjustment is tricky when trying to look through the eyepiece at a Southern star. The knob is easier to reach when aligning on a more Northerly star. Graeme
Thanks, Graeme! Actually, I borrowed the whole thing, telescope, accessories, and mount. This is an equitorial mount. I have an alt-az refractor and a polar reflector. This is my first experience with the fork -- and I have not been out yet (still raining...).

The equipment chair warned me that it did not come with a wedge. OK... Whatever... Reading the documentation and going online, I discovered that the "wedge" is an attachment for polar mount. Fine with me. The polar mount has its advantages, but I like the simple X-Y RA-Dec Alt-Az. And the fork is pretty much like that.
Michael E. Marotta
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Mike

Seems I wrongly assumed that the Meade 10" SCT sits on a German Equitorial mount.

A fork mount is an alt az mount. The wedge turns it into an Equitorial mount. So the polar alignment problem I described that a CGX gives you won't affect you.

Have fun with your fork!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Following [mention]Lady Fraktor[/mention]'s advice, I used some extra floor tiles to provide a stable foundation for the tripod.

I set up on Saturday night, 6 June, and went out to observe Sunday morning 0300 to 0330 CDT here in Austin, Texas. The Moon was still fullish but not a problem. I observed Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars with 32mm and 20mm oculars. I could see turbulences in the bands of Jupiter. I could differentiate two rings of Saturn.

I went out again at 0500 when Mars was above the trees. Mars was the most challenging view because I was pretty sure that I could see a broad, irregular shading vertically in the middle two-thirds.

(I have a cellphone adapter. I did use it earlier this year with my iPhone 5 and Celestron 130EQ, but my new iPhone 11 has proven to be a challenge. I am not a fan of astrophotography but it can be a helpful tool. More later.)
Michael E. Marotta
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a nice morning session the scope, glad you could get out there.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good to hear you managed to get it up and out viewing. :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Meade 8-inch MCT (was Re: New to 10-inch Meade SCT)

Post by mikemarotta »

I also borrowed from the local club their Maksutov-Cassegrain which has a failed computer board. (I have been trying to get my electrical engineering friends to find this interesting. Back when Covid-19 shut down the shop and our hourly was cut by 25%, the $200 I was offering was more attractive. We're all back to working fulltime now.) Anyway, the 8-inch MAK is easier to handle. (The 10-inch SCT weighs 65 lbs plus the tripod. Once it is set up, it ain't goin' nowheres.) And for that matter, while I did get the 10-inch programmed up OK, you know, it just takes the fun out of discovering the stars.

I was pleasantly surprised when I lined up Jupiter in the finder scope and saw two moons. Wow! Then, I looked again at the little scope - 8X: same as Galileo's.

I found Ptolemy's Nebula, Messier 7. With the Andromeda Galaxy and the Beehive Cluster that makes three deep sky objects I located naked eye in the city. Funny thing about M7 though is that it seemed clearer in my little Celestron EQ 130 that I also set up.

I do have a question about how to read the Right Ascension and Declination on the setting circles. Apparently, they do not work like a Vernier. I have the user manual and it is mute on this. At least, it did not seem like a Vernier to me even though it has gradations along the window. I recorded Antares in my notebook as RA 18.0 hrs at 2304 hrs and Dec 34 deg at 2305 hrs CDT 11 July 2020. See images below.

(Close enough. I still have not done the reduction arithmetic. But by comparing the deltas for my numbers to the catalog (Wikipedia), I determined that I did, indeed, have M7, not M6. I entered the nebula as RA 16.6 hr Dec 25 deg at 2311 hrs CDT 11 July 2020.)
RA Antares 2305 hrs cdt 11 July 2020.jpg
Decl Antares 2304 hrs cdt 11 July 2020.jpg
Vernier Calipers copy.png
Michael E. Marotta
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here is a fun piece of software (freeware) that works better on a Meade than a Celestron. It is Sat Tracker and it will find and slew (at the correct speed) following whatever satellite you've chosen for it to track. Go here: https://www.astronomylog.co.uk/astronom ... e-tracker/

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Meade 8-inch MCT (was Re: New to 10-inch Meade SCT)

Post by mikemarotta »

mikemarotta wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:33 pm I also borrowed from the local club their Maksutov-Cassegrain which has a failed computer board. ...
Well (ahem), it is not an MCT but an SCT. I have to confess to not being a methodical investigator. I start with the big picture and then chase details. (It is how I write history for publication.) Anyway, attached are snapshots of the telescope's own declarations of identity.

I bought it from my local club even though -- especially because -- the computer control has failed. The discount was attractive. And I have been using the large setting circles to make my own measurements. It is funny that you cannot get a telescope that actually is calibrated in Right Ascension and Declination. But I am happy to use my own coordinates in a Mike-centric universe and (if I want the grunt work for practice) reduce the degrees and fractions of a circle into hours and minutes and degrees and minutes.

For myself, as nice as the larger objective is, I really like the longer focal length.
Attachments
My 8-inch SCT -  - 1.jpeg
My 8-inch SCT -  - 2.jpeg
My 8-inch SCT -  - 3.jpeg
My 8-inch SCT -  - 4.jpeg
Michael E. Marotta
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I donated the 8-inch SCT with the failed computer board to the Goodwill. They will make money from it and it will find a new home. I just found it too much to wrestle with. It would be OK for deep sky star parties and overnights, but I am not into that. Our club has three dark sky sites and I have not been to any of them. I just go out in the backyard and satisfy myself that the universe is pretty much as described in the books. I just posted in another forum about viewing Mars with my National Geographic 70 mm f10.
Michael E. Marotta
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Most find the 203mm SCT to be the most to setup/ take down on a regular basis. Larger than that really should be set up permanently in my opinion.
quigly7777 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by quigly7777 »

I had the 8"/203mm and liked it but traded for the 10" and it is a lot to handle. Would like a more permanent setup but a bit concerned about the Texas heat and really do not get out that often. Also the vibration going across the field. On an acre and have to get out back to get away from trees. Thought about making some kind of wheeled setup but have not gone further than that.