Post your solar system images here.
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Jupiter's Moons Rising

Post by Hankmeister3 »

When skies are permitting here in central Illinois, I'll mount up my Meade 10 inch or my SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov and attempt some planetary or lunar photography. In this instance Jupiter and its four moons fell victim to my Meade 10-inch f/10 at prime focus at 2500mm focal length. Skies were about Pickering 5, transparency was lower yet but over all seeing conditions allowed me to capture a nice string of fifty exposures of varying lengths at ISO 200. I purposefully over-exposed Jupiter by one to two stops (my terrestrial photography jargon is popping out having been a photo editor of a national collegiate newspaper back in the early 1980s in San Clemente, CA) in hopes of capturing good, hard images of Jupiter's four moons. In post-production I backed off the luminance (or gain) levels commensurately of Jupiter itself and played with the contrast and saturation levels until I got a pleasant enough image of Jupiter. I was pretty happy with the results and so I'm posting it here.

The scale isn't the greatest because of the separation distances of the outer moons, but if you patrol the lower left and upper right of the image you'll find the other two. I was very pleased with how tightly the moons were imaged. Image was captured with my unmodified Canon EOS 80D DSLR on 7/18/19. Single-frame, no filters.
Attachments
IMG_3223_Jupiter Moons Rising_NEW.jpg
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Don Quixote

Re: Jupiter's Moons Rising

Post by Don Quixote »

First time to see this one Henry.
Pretty nice red spot on Jupe !
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks, Marcus. I thought I emailed this image to you. Oh well, that's what I get for thinking!

What I did to capture that image was basically over expose Jupiter by about "two stops". In camera lingo, as you well now, that means instead of exposing at 1/60th of a second for a proper exposure I exposed at 1/15th of a second. This helped capture some good hard images of Jupiter's four moons without blowing out Jupiter so much that I couldn't bring it back. Then in post-production I isolated Jupiter with my "magic pencil" feature (heh!) and ran the luminance/gain slider way down until I was able to get Jupiter to look normally exposed. There were a few contrast artifacts that popped up, but I thought it all worked to good effect. I can't remember when I captured this image but the single frame photo's meta-data would certainly reveal that.

I can't remember which moon was where at the time this image was captured. Plus, the time readout on both my cameras are generally off by many minutes if not several hours though the date is generally correct. I don't know why that is but I try to update the time-stamp about once every …. hmmm, six months!

Oh, wait, I just checked my original post … doh! I captured Jup on 7/18 of this year. And seeing conditions were about average, about a Pickering 4 out of 10. Darkness and transparency wasn't an issue for planetary imaging especially when you're only pegging a 4 on seeing conditions.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Its a nice image for sure. Seeing those moons so nicely is the icing on the cake . Thanks for sharing it with us . Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Well done Henry, nice scope to boot! :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:41 pm
What I did to capture that image was basically over expose Jupiter by about "two stops". In camera lingo, as you well now, that means instead of exposing at 1/60th of a second for a proper exposure I exposed at 1/15th of a second. This helped capture some good hard images of Jupiter's four moons without blowing out Jupiter so much that I couldn't bring it back. Then in post-production I isolated Jupiter with my "magic pencil" feature (heh!) and ran the luminance/gain slider way down until I was able to get Jupiter to look normally exposed. There were a few contrast artifacts that popped up, but I thought it all worked to good effect. I can't remember when I captured this image but the single frame photo's meta-data would certainly reveal that.

Thanks for the information Hank. My Jupiter images are either no moons visible or moons visible and the planet over exposed. I'll have another go next year!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

You got the GRS! Congrats!
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Thanks everyone. This was one of those few times when you burn a few extra frames without a lot of expectation just because there's an opportunity to do so. I didn't realize how nicely this would turn out or how well Jupiter can be brought back after a one to two stop overexposure. I wish it had been better seeing conditions because it would have been nice to get a little bit more detail in the Jovian belts. Yes, capturing the GRS was a bonus!