Asteroid (4) Vesta

Post your solar system images here.
AstroBee United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Asteroid (4) Vesta

Post by AstroBee »

We had a great night out last night and I managed to gather more data for my Thor's Helmet project as well as some time on the Leo Triplet. In between filter changes on the Leo Triplet, I decided to make this animation video of (4) Vesta since it was close by.
Just a bit of info on (4) Vista, It is the second-largest asteroid, containing an estimated 9% of the mass of the entire asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
It was discovered in 1807 by Heinrich Olbers and was the 4th asteroid to be discovered which is the purpose of the (4) designation. The first three were Ceres, Pallas, and Juno.
It orbits the sun every 3.6 years with dimensions of about 550 km × 462 km
Its current estimated magnitude is 6.22 so very easy to spot from dark skies. As you can see, it's very bright compared to the surrounding stars.

Enjoy ~

https://youtu.be/2jdRH2hkFMk
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Asteroid (4) Vesta

Post by Bigzmey »

Nicely done! I believe everyone should see at least one asteroid in their lives. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

😎 cool
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

superb take , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks for the interesting post. I would like to see Vesta sometime (when it's not as cold). I probably missed this, but what telescope did you use? What was the focal length?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Really cool animation. Thanks for sharing.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

jrkirkham wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:09 am Thanks for the interesting post. I would like to see Vesta sometime (when it's not as cold). I probably missed this, but what telescope did you use? What was the focal length?
The telescope was my Explore Scientific ED127mm APO - with reducer/flattener it's 652mm fl but this image was cropped in about 50%. ZWO1600mm camera, 60-second exposures.

You're in luck! this coming June 9-12th (4)Vesta will be passing very nearby the Leo Triplet. If you use Stellarium or any planetarium program, find it in Leo right now and then open up the date/time window and advance it by day. You can then find a day when it's in the same F.O.V. of a known object. I'm hoping over the few nights it's in my camera F.O.V. with the Leo Triplet to recreate this animation again.
As bright as (4) Vesta is, it's an easy visual target too.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

That is Awesome, Well done! I think that is the first asteroid animation I've seen.
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

AstroBee wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:27 am You're in luck! this coming June 9-12th (4)Vesta will be passing very nearby the Leo Triplet. If you use Stellarium or any planetarium program, find it in Leo right now and then open up the date/time window and advance it by day. You can then find a day when it's in the same F.O.V. of a known object. I'm hoping over the few nights it's in my camera F.O.V. with the Leo Triplet to recreate this animation again.
As bright as (4) Vesta is, it's an easy visual target too.
Oohhh!! And it's a New Moon Weekend, too!!

AP Imagers around the Globe should be Pointing at this Spectacle en masse!!

I wonder: Do that many Scopes pointed at the Same Object draw an Extra amount of Photons?? And would that be Detectible to a "Sufficiently Advanced Intellect" near the Target??
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)