TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

ISS Lunar Transit

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

Here is my first attempt at a lunar transit. The transit was at 4:35pm (NYC Time) so it was still light. The sky was clear but the seeing was pretty bad with 15mph+ winds. I used my 1600mm- Pro with a baader 2.25x barlow with my Stellarvue SVX80T-R.

I tried to get as close to the centerline path as possible from (Transit-finder.com) Then I checked out Google Earth and luckily found a small baseball field with a nice empty parking lot 45 min away from my house.

Now processing was a bit tricky as I have not processed anything like it where you get each frame of the ISS with the moon and also maintaining a nice looking moon. So I took the .ser file from capture using Fire Capture, put it into PIPP then extracted the TIFFS with the ISS in the frame. My FPS rate was about 20FPS so I had about 20 something images of the ISS in there.

After that, I went into Photoshop and created an action to clean up the noise and make each frame better. After that, I went back into PIPP and created an AVI file that repeats back and forth about 15 times. I didn't feel like going into my video editing program to create it to adjust speed and such, but I will do that later on. But with youtube, you can slow the Speed down to .25 seconds if you look at the bottom right on a PC.

I also combined the stacked frames in an image from Photoshop. This was tricky since I never stacked the ISS over the moon and try to bring out each ISS frame to display correctly. But I found a way and it was to have all the frames as layers and then select "Lighten" where you would normally select Luminocity for all the frames. When I did that, then all the ISS frames showed properly, but the moon was off. So I stacked about 800 frames without the ISS that was taken from the .ser file and used that as a Luminocity at 30% over the ISS frames.

I hope I explained this correctly and if there is a better way to bring it out then I would love to know :) But here is What I have below so far for processing it.

Sterllarvue SVX80T-R
iOptron CEM 70
ZWO 1600mm-P
Baader 2.25X Barlow
ZWO Red Filter

Frames captured=2096
File type=SER
Binning=no
ROI=4656x3520
ROI(Offset)=0x0
FPS (avg.)=19
Shutter=0.285ms
Gain=312 (52%)

YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKObPAh ... e=emb_logo

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob + Rings for EQ mode Mounts: iOptron CEM70 w/ Tri-Pier Barlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep Cameras: ZWO174mm

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: ISS Lunar Transit

Post by messier 111 »

very nice first time , thx .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Brian. A beautiful ISS sequence transit across old Luna. Thanks for posting this on here Brian, and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's awesome 👍
Good job Brian!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ