TheButcher United States of America
Vendor
Vendor
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Mars taken on September 21st (RGB)

Post by TheButcher »

Hey all,

Here an image of Mars that I took last night. The seeing was about average and the sky clear except for some of that smoke haze that we all love. I started without a Barlow with my 290 then used my 1.5x Antares Barlow and it seemed to be ok then after this image the seeing got poor and had to back down to no Barlow. But luckily I got a set with the 1.5x, it could be more as I pulled the camera back a little bit.

Imaged with

Celestron C11
iOptron CEM70
ZWO 290mm (Non mini)
ZWO R,G,B filters
Antares 1.5x twist Barlow
ZWO EFW filter wheel

Captured with FIre Capture and then went to Auto Stackkert2 (7% stacked) then to Photoshop to combine the channels, then off to Registax for a little Wavelets then back to Photoshop to get the final image.

I didn't feel like going into Win Jupos yet so I just took the image and split the times down to equal 280 seconds.

Also, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do Mars in Win Jupos for exposure times and sets? (For example... 200 seconds per channel x 2 sets or so).

RED 110 seconds (About 30,000 frames)
Green 85 seconds (About 14,000 frames)
Blue 85 Seconds (About 14,000 frames)

Thx for Looking :)

Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

See All of my Images at: https://astronebula.com/slide-show/
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mars taken on September 21st (RGB)

Post by John Baars »

That is a fine and nicely detailed image of Mars!
Am I wrong, or do I even recognize a Mars Volcano (Arsia Mons)? The bright dot at upper left?
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Beautiful shot(s) Butcher!

I really like the colors that you achieved. The surface looks great with nice details and the ice cap is super white!

Excellent work!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Thanks guys :)
Telescopes:Apertura AD12 Dob : iOptron CEM70 without TripodBarlows:GSO 2x Shorty Focuser: Rigel nStep

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

John Baars wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:03 am That is a fine and nicely detailed image of Mars!
Am I wrong, or do I even recognize a Mars Volcano (Arsia Mons)? The bright dot at upper left?
Thx John
Here is the Red Channel really stretched and such to see the upper left corner. It appears to be something, But I am not familiar with Mars terrain yet :)

John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

It is a bit difficult, as far as I know ( I am no expert either) to make a difference in this case between a volcano, orographic clouds and maybe even a dust-storm, or just areas with a higher albedo
The three volcanos Arsia Mons, Pavonis Mons, and Ascreus Mons lie from left to right in a row, and the white spots seem to be in the right place, top left. There are more distracting white "hotspots" though. On top left ( at 23.00 hours) there is a somewhat bright spot, surrounded by a darker circular area. There is little doubt in my mind that we deal with Olympus Mons here. ( the largest volcano of the Solar system)
The fork-like shape in the middle of the original picture is part of Vallis Marineris.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

John Baars wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:30 pm It is a bit difficult, as far as I know ( I am no expert either) to make a difference in this case between a volcano, orographic clouds and maybe even a dust-storm, or just areas with a higher albedo
The three volcanos Arsia Mons, Pavonis Mons, and Ascreus Mons lie from left to right in a row, and the white spots seem to be in the right place, top left. There are more distracting white "hotspots" though. On top left ( at 23.00 hours) there is a somewhat bright spot, surrounded by a darker circular area. There is little doubt in my mind that we deal with Olympus Mons here. ( the largest volcano of the Solar system)
The fork-like shape in the middle of the original picture is part of Vallis Marineris.
Thanks for the info john :) I am fascinated with Mars and need to start studying more on the landscape and nature of it and hopefully, no duststorms appear like the last one and also no smoke haze here when opposition happens. It is kind of ironic how 2 years ago the Dust storm happened on Mars, now, here on Earth in the US/Canada we have a Smoke Haze and appears but it seems to be clear on Mars nearing opposition.

Michael131313 Mexico
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Michael131313 »

Thanks for the image and all the good Mars info.
ES AR 102 102mm, f/6.5, ES 254mm f/5 DOB, Obie 10x50, GSO SV 30mm, ES 68° 20mm, ES 82° 14mm, 11mm, 8.8 mm, 6.8mm, 4.7mm. Twilight 1 mount.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

Hey, that is one great image Butcher, I think that position is about right for Mons. If it is Mons is a bit hard to be sure.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Greenman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 am Hey, that is one great image Butcher, I think that position is about right for Mons. If it is Mons is a bit hard to be sure.
Thanks MIchael and Tony :)

I think I will check out some of the images I took before it that was without the Barlow and had more detail possibly. I got some Lums I took as well.

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

TheButcher wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:48 am
Greenman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 am Hey, that is one great image Butcher, I think that position is about right for Mons. If it is Mons is a bit hard to be sure.

I think I will check out some of the images I took before it that was without the Barlow and had more detail possibly. I got some Lums I took as well.
The Barlow will magnify the atmospheric dispersion so that data will look better. As you are splitting the channels that will help and registax is helpful too with the rgb. Mars is at its highest dec. of 63 degrees and it won’ be back there until 2025, so it's time to fill our image banks.

For Xmas I think a ZWO ADC is in my future. :pray:
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by TheButcher »

Greenman wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:28 am
TheButcher wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:48 am

The Barlow will magnify the atmospheric dispersion so that data will look better. As you are splitting the channels that will help and registax is helpful too with the rgb. Mars is at its highest dec. of 63 degrees and it won’ be back there until 2025, so it's time to fill our image banks.

For Xmas I think a ZWO ADC is in my future. :pray:
Thx for the tips Greenman :)

Also, Greenman and John, I did another Mars that was taken about a half-hour before I think. This one was without a Barlow and I think you can make out some of the details better and see the three volcanos Arsia Mons, Pavonis Mons, and Ascreus Mon in the upper left corner.

Same image but I enlarged it to see it better